What exactly does 'full up' (height) mean??

shadowboy

Visit site
some ponies have massive withers and don't actually feel 14.2 to ride etc. I have a full up 13.2as he has no withers so basically is 13.2 he is also quite a big 13.2 so will take up the leg and will 'feel bigger' than some other 13.2's

Syrah

Visit site
A horses height is measured to the top of the withers.

So the height of the horses back is higher on a low wither/no wither horse and they are called full up.

tinap

Visit site
I feel a bit thick now!! I thought it was the upper end of height ie my boy got measured at 141.6cm which is 13.3& 3/4hh so nearer 14hh than 13.3hh hence a full up 13.3hh!!

mrogers

Visit site
normally it means something that wont measure into its height unless you scalp its feet and let the condition down ;-P lol

dafthoss

Visit site
It can either be that they are nearer 14.3 than 14.2. Or they feel bigger to ride as they have low withers or a longer stride.

quirky

Visit site
normally it means something that wont measure into its height unless you scalp its feet and let the condition down ;-P lol

This ^^.

I bought a full up 14.2HH who when measured was 14.3HH :D.
Didn't make any difference to me, if it was an issue, I'd have had her measured prior to purchase :).

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
i would agree with mrogers!! if the pony is a full up 14.2 on an annual certificate be prepared to travel miles to find a pad that will measure it in! if you are doing height restricted showing classes then you need to get one with a life height cert. but if seriously big for its measured size, and you get re measured at the showground you will lose your qualification.

X

xspiralx

As above really, I'd say a horse that might technically be a certain height but feels bigger, due to big build, large stride, chunky etc.

Spook

Visit site
I agree Waterborn, I always take a measuring stick with me now if the height is important, no point having the expense of the vet etc. if it's too big for the job anyway.