What feed/supplement will give a dull coat some shine

trixiepixie

New User
Visit site
Hi, I have a native pony (rising four) in the process of being broken, and just wondered if there was a feed or supplement that anyone that could suggest which is not going to make him put on excessive weight/condition but would brighten up his dull coat. He is currently feed High Fibre Cubes and Healthy Hooves. Thanks

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
I'm sure I've read somewhere that adding raw eggs to their feed gives a shiny coat! I may be totally wrong, but it does ring a bell. Nice and cheap too!
smile.gif

CVSHotShot

Visit site
personally i think outshine is fabulous - if you have the cash to throw about! lol it is quite expensive and our feed stores have shot the price up to almost £40!
shocked.gif

However i have heard alot of people say they just thrown some oil into the feed and it has similar results?

Rollin

Visit site
Oil will defintely add shine but be wary of cheap oil as it can put a horse of its feed. I have fed linseed oil for years a couple of teaspoons is sufficient. My old horses always had super coats.

JMSims2008

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You could always try him on Top Spec balancer. My bunch all get it and their coats are very shiny (even the whiter-than-white grey!).

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that! My boys coat and hooves are shiny on this stuff....also cornoil...

rocketdog69

Visit site
Try the Equus "Winter Glow Summer Shine" or Winter Shine Summer Glow, cant remember which way round it is but its very good stuff. Costs approx 10 quid for a bag that shouds last you months.

I use it on my 3 horses and my donkey and they all look lovely even though they are all living out with two of tem clipped.

Try it!

Darkly_Dreaming_Dex

Visit site
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds have given all 5 boys a fantastic winter coat and was only £18 for 15 kilos at our local feed supplier
laugh.gif
I feed 1 mug full a day and the pheasants love kicking over their poos for any left undigested
blush.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
For natives types (we have two youngsters - clydesdale and gypsy cob) they have:

Black sunflower seeds - for glossy coat and very hard feet.

Instant linseed - again for coat and as I only feed low cal fibre, to give them a few calories.

Brewer yeast - in spring/summer to prevent itching and again boosts the coat.

Seaweed is also good for glossy coats.

Finally once you have dealt with the inside, then you need to give a good groom to get the oils in the coat coming through and ideally some rugging to get a real show shine.

In summer, mine don't wear anything apart from fly rugs and live out, so to get that "rugged" show look, day before I bath, apply a lot of coat gloss, brush hard for a fair while to get coat really lying flat and put on a lycra suit with a light t/o rug - next day they look as if they have been rugged up for ages - this was shown to me by a top show producer.

lannerch

Visit site
micronised linseed is excellant, a cheap alternate to outshine.

you already feed fibre cubes so your horse will already be getting vitamins and minerals in these, so I personally would feed a cup of micronised linseed as well.

£18 a 25kg bag over here, which lasts ages