What feeds would you recommend for weight gain/maintenance

_Libby_

Visit site
My 19 yr old tbxarab is looking fine at the moment however she is hard to keep weight on throughout the winter so I'd like to see her with more weight on her. She is probably on the lean side of fine atm.

So she will be out during the day on reasonable grazing, in at night with ad lib good quality hay, well rugged up.
I've started feeding her again and she is currently getting Kwik beet, alpha a, D&H Build up.

I am considering adding an oil to her feed and perhaps a feed balancer? Also would barley rings be better than the build up?

Thanks in advance

LankyDoodle

Visit site
Looking at what you feed her - will your mare eat alfa a oil? My boy won't so I went over to alfa a mixed with veg oil. Oil is a great conditioner. Veg oil is the best one to feed, I am led to believe. I also feed speedibeet in a bucket over night (although kwikbeet has higher energy per kg, so I think that's better for condition) and he gets calm and condition with alfa a and veg oil. I feed haylage alongside hay to help his condition.
I would add some oil (slowly) before starting on barley rings. Looking at the breed of your horse - is she the fizzy type? I wouldn't replace build up with barley rings myself, but others may recommend it.

cellie

Visit site
I found calm and condition worked really well for my fizzy tbx.She has added 40 kg on this feed with aplha a .I add veg oil in winter if I cant get hold of alpha a plus oil.Linseed has also helped during winter.
I cant use alot of other hard feeds as it sends her ott.

Wigglypigs

Visit site
Hmm Calm and condition is good IMO but it isnt the cheapest. Id agree with all the comments re the oil. I had a tbxarab mare that i got at 19. He old owner came to visit her and had said it was the best she had looked. That was on D&H 16+ mix, Alpha A and oil. I did feed her Horsehage though as she was fussy with hay.Horsehage was great but again was way more exp than big bale haylage(couldnt store it at prev yard)

Good luck!
p.s where are the piccies??? lol

Spyda

Visit site
I've found FF micronised linseed meal a good addition for maintaining weight in winter. I buy it online and have it delivered.

That fed, with some of the other suggestions in the posts, should help
smile.gif