What fly rugs are you all using/recommend?

Stenners

Visit site
I've seen quite a few different ones on sale - I love the Aussie allrounders but they are still very expensive!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
My two are really not fans of flies, like the most irritated horses Ive ever known. Luckily my fields are on a hill and its always windy so we dont have as many as some. Because they are fussy i really like Shires sweetitch hoody type rugs, Highlander Sweetitch i think they are. They both have Premier Equine super lites for when its just too warm for the SI rugs (as they dont have SI!) I also have a few Aussie's but maybe an older version or something? They have ear holes belly coverage. Love them too.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
i have to say, having had some cheap fly rugs you are better buying decent and paying a bit more or looking out for sales/second hand. My Aussies were £48 each two years ago!

Pippity

Visit site
Mine's in Big Horse Shop's Epic zebra-print. Basically because she's built like a brick outhouse and it's the only one that could stretch around her shoulders.

GypsGal1718

Visit site
last year I used an hkm mesh one and it was great because it has anti rub lining in the areas that would normally be rubbed on a meshy rug but it is still able to keep them nice and cool

Love

Visit site
I know you mentioned the Aussie allrounder being expensive but I am a huge convert. Have always just had standard fly rugs (shires, weatherbeeta but not top end sort of prices etc) until a friend gave me an aussie allrounder - she got it in a bundle but it didn't suit her horse. I was amazed. It really is poles apart from the other fly rugs ive had - did the job and more (kept him cool, shower proof, better fit etc)

Stenners

Visit site
I do absolutely love the Aussie! My horse doesn't fir the 6'3 Amigos but he fits 6'3 in every other brand it seems and all mine are Amigos so I was thinking about options before i order a 6'6 Aussie!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
I've found the Amigo mio's to be the best, light weight and fit well around the chest! I've had so many others that are too thick and too tight on the chest that they've rubbed!

First Frost

Visit site
I love the aussie allrounder.Unfortunately it looks as though they have been discontinued by Horseware, can't seem to find one anywhere. If so, bad move by Horseware as they are fantastic rugs.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I tried Weatherbeetas on my two last year. They lasted 24 hours before I removed them and left them naked with just Eqwax on their undercarriages and fly masks on their heads. I thought having the cows in the field next door it would help to keep the flies at bay but they were tight in all the wrong places and the horses hated wearing them. Currently gathering dust in the rug box and unlikely to see the light of day again.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I love the aussie allrounder.Unfortunately it looks as though they have been discontinued by Horseware, can't seem to find one anywhere. If so, bad move by Horseware as they are fantastic rugs.

I’ve just looked them up as my boys wear Horseware Rhinos which fit them both so well and Eileen Douglas tack shop have the Aussie Amigo Allrounders in stock depending on size etc but also looks like they are on sale.

blitznbobs

Visit site
I have the f’ing expensive Rambo sweet itch ones and they really are the only ones that have stopped my sweet itch mare from suffering … it’s fab and doesn’t rub much like some of them

dixie

Visit site
I’ve just bought the Rambo Hoodie from Eileen Douglas which was in the sale.
In the hope the rain will actually stop one day 🙄
I’m really impressed with the quality and feel of it.
My other sweet itch rugs are Shires which are pretty good too.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Louis has a shires sweet itch rug as he rubs his mane and he destroys the mesh fly rugs in days, this is on its third year so quite pleased with it it's washed weekly as well.

Arabi has the mesh type I bought him the cheapest one shires do and that's on its 3rd year as well, his so good with rugs all his look brand new.

I only use mine when the horse flies or biters are really bad as I like the to be rug free if possible.

HorseMaid

Visit site
I'm a huge fan of AniMac fly rugs, my mare has had the same one for 3 years now and apart from being dirty/stained it's still intact, it's made from a canvas type material and doesn't have any belly straps, but stays in place perfectly .

claret09

Visit site
i have both a rambo fly rug and the amigo aussie rug. my boy prefers the aussie rug. it's cool and give him much better protection from the flies. he also has premier equine summer turnout boots and a full face facemask from shires that goes over his nose. one happy horse. he also has sweet itch so protection is really vital.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
do your horses not boil in the Aussie allrounders? They are so thick, they are like summer sheets? One at our yard has one and I’ve never fancied it because of the thickness of it

Ratface

Visit site
I've used a Weatherbeata fly rug which I bought years ago for Old Horse. It's lasted well and is very effective. He also wears a full face sun/fly mask and lots of expensive fly spray.

claret09

Visit site
do your horses not boil in the Aussie allrounders? They are so thick, they are like summer sheets? One at our yard has one and I’ve never fancied it because of the thickness of it
hi no. he doesn't. they are actually quite cool. he isn't generally out when it gets very hot but he is very happy in it. i think it is cooler than the rambo bug rug which i also have

Dave's Mam

Visit site
So far in the Shires Tempest with the waterproof top which is great for our unbalanced weather. It's also the first fly rug that's lasted more than an hour due to playing.

Bobthecob15

Visit site
I'm a huge fan of AniMac fly rugs, my mare has had the same one for 3 years now and apart from being dirty/stained it's still intact, it's made from a canvas type material and doesn't have any belly straps, but stays in place perfectly .
I’ve heard these are really good I must get one!