What gets your goat?

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Ok, I will start! What is the one horsey thing that people do or say that tends to wind you up?

Mine is when people refer to Haflingers as 'palominos'. Genetically they are chestnut, not palomino.
mad.gif

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Ditto to allof the above. especially horse owners who blame the horse consitently without looking at themselves as part of the problem. one beef of mine is riders who are not courteous to drivers on the roads. being a horse owner and trainer it grinds me when I slow down for horse riders and then do not acknowlege it, mainly because I also feel that non horsey people would be more accepting if they at least got a nod of thanks for slowing or waiting for a horseriders. but then as a driver, if someone does not be courteous for me waiting or letting them out I will two finger them immediately for bad manners. HO HUM. manners do not cost anything but can achieve something priceless. I have often stopped and told a rider to be more well mannered.
ok I will get off my soap box now haha
regards
Dawn

rrose

Visit site
People who dont care for there horses properly, people who have them as a money status (when in fact most people with horses dont have money) (well i have none
blush.gif
), people who comment on your style of riding and say do this and that when they have never ridden the horse. when you drive slowely past horse + riders and no one thanks you. im going to stop now.. i could go on.
crazy.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
Ungrateful horse owners...what's wrong with appreciating what you have?
and also owners who belittle other owners just because their horse isnt as big / talented. Not everyone wants a huge showjumper....

tigers_eye

Visit site
Can I cautiosly hold my hand up here?! I have a 5 yo and a 6yo, and the latter in particular is not always perfect on the road. I feel in the interest of road safety sometimes I refrain from taking one hand off the rein to say thank you, although always nod (even if I'm not sure people overtaking me can see this). If I feel safe I always raise a hand in time to say thank you. Interestingly I find many drivers in Herts better than those in Wilts/Dorset/Devon!

What bugs me: people who forget that they have a horse's MOUTH at the end of their reins - they saw, haul etc at it.

vic07

Visit site
couldn't agree more. these people often buy youngsters as they want something they can sell on and think they will learn together. Really pisses me off putting their learning together right!

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
Fully understood, but that is where, 'young horse drive slowly' tabards can be used to the best. not that some drivers even acknowlege that, arggghh, but even so a nod is better than nothing. I have driven past a girl on an arab on numerous occasions and not once has she even acknowledged my consideration, in the end I said manners out of the window, obviously not loud enough to spook the horse but enough for her to hear, and now she nods.
Although thinking about it more and knowing drivers who have horses who still drive fast past a horse on the road is probably more annoying. pet peeves are just so personal.
regards
Dawn

patchandloopy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
couldn't agree more. these people often buy youngsters as they want something they can sell on and think they will learn together. Really pisses me off putting their learning together right!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah-the usual line ''i want them to grow up together'', erm will your little precious imogen aged 5, be ok with the litlle pony when it turns one (and into a little shite!) and starts rearing when being lead as all babies i know do!!

I remember at one yard an inexperienced owner brought a pony from a dealer- ''we're getting a shetland....'' the next day a chestnut foal about 12.2hh welsh type arrives....erm thats not a shetland!!!
shocked.gif

pocket

Visit site
Have to ditto this comment by Pinte. I hate it when you come across people who think that they know everything about horses when they've had a few lessons at a local riding school. Then go and buy a horse and become over horsed.

We have a few at our yard that have just come from a riding school and have kept a horse for a year, the mother now thinks that her 13 year old daughter is too good for her pony, a lovely school master of 18 years, so he is being sold and they are buying a 3 year old who has just been backed and I use that term lightly.............

Just waiting for the first call for the yard nurse! ME! What makes things worse is the kid thinks her heads made of steal and never wears a hat
crazy.gif

So, this is what makes my blood boil, an accident waiting to happen and of course, it wont be the child's fault
crazy.gif

Doreys_Mum

Visit site
people who can't ride, buying a quality horse which quickly drops to their level and then selling it cos it sucks.

I knew a girl like that in RL. She ruined a pony sold on as HoYs quality/qualified....

They sold him for pettance
mad.gif
mad.gif

Irish_horse

Visit site
People putting certain tack on their horse because it 'looks pretty' not even knowing the purpose of it, treating their horse like shite, talking an awful lot of shite, being quick to critizise other people/other peoples horses (cannot spell!), bitchy women, people with no respect for their horse/pony, v loud people around horses, spoilt brats who scream at their parents, so on and so forth..

marmite

Visit site
OK where do start?

Drivers in general who do not respect horses need space and slow speeds on road,if im riding any of my lads out and they are kicking off i dont give a damn about waving or nodding at drivers.
I wear a tabbard stating the personality of whatever horse im riding at the time,as far as im concerned we have alot of drivers in our village who are very good and understand horses but the odd person will go past at a racing speed and i glady give them a flip off and shout what i think of them.
In my opinion horses where around for a damn site longer than cars and we deserve the respect of the road there is a reason we dont have tax discs.
This is a common argument in my household my OH is a driver i am not but even if i was i would understand if you see a horse skipping,bucking,rearing in the middle of the road i would understand why the rider does not throw both hands in the air to send on over the top thankyou.
If my horses are messing around im alot more concerned about staying onboard than saying thankyou to an impatient driver so it takes an extra 10 seconds to get past what is ten seconds from your life?
So if i have one of my lads having a paddy on the road frankly i dont care about saying thankyou to drivers they may be angry and rant to car passengers about horrible equines but if i take a hand off my rein for a split second i fall off infront of an oncoming car they run me over and kill me or i fall off and die thay will fell worse for a hell of alot longer.

Another thing which annoys me but not to the degree drivers do is people who dont give there ned affection i think every horse deserves a cuddle a day at least just like a child how else will you have a bond with them?
I dont like riders who are not emotionally connected to a long term ride if you deal horses for a living ect fine but i know people who have had horses for years and show no affection to them at all.
I give my lot at least 10 cuddles when im with them and due to that i have a very special bond with them.In my true an honst opinion you cannot expect a horse to be true and willing towards you if you show no love and effection towards them jay boy an war lad are not just working animals to me they are as much a part of my family as my OH his daughter or my dog.

puddicat

puddicat.blogspot.com
Ok well for a start

STABLES and YARDS
barbed wire fencing – dangerous, unnecesary
stables with poor lighting, drainage or ventilation.
muddy entrances to fields
having to carry water in buckets – there’s this thing called piping… its really cheap and easy to fix
arenas with a surface you couldn’t drive a tank over let alone ride on
internal pillars or beams in stables at head height
dogs that steal grooming brushes and bury them

STABLE MANAGEMENT
people that muck out clean bedding because their interpretation of ‘clean’ is a good deal different from mine.
feed supplements, yep all of them, can’t even stand the sound of the lid being ripped of the hideously overpriced cheap plastic container.
people that try to be reasonable in controlling a horse that is plainly about to kill them and several members of the general public.
people that believe some horses are impossible to load.
colour coordinated rugs and bandages

RIDING
people that use the whip without their leg
people that can’t keep their anger emotions out of aiding
people that jump better that me

HORSES
opportunist bolters/buckers – choose their moment perfectly then go for it
horses that haven’t any manners and try to drag you wherever they want to go
horses that for no reason randomly decide that a monster is hiding behind the fence between E and K.
shetland ponies – yep all of them
hackney stallions

MISC
bars of soap with Thelwell ponies embossed on them
stick on comedy antlers

smile.gif

marmite

Visit site
agree with s4itlands and bad riders who get wound up because they are crap and beat there ponies.

Personally love buckers ect they have charector not just as a everyday thing but when the occasion arrises such as been at comps ect.
NO problem with any of mine on ground but on backs and especially lunging one of them they have lots of bucks and bounce and i love it they are both cheeky chaps.
Would not trade any of there personalities for anything they are loving and so much fun to ride go nicely but have enough in them to keep me on my toes.
If they were the same day in day out it would be boring to be honest.

goeslikestink

www.hozhatz.co.uk
you wont like my comment--
people that are text book and the book of crap
meaning there are a lot of so called instructors out there that have never had a horse that teach--

or teach never having the instruction--
yet if you have aproblem wont get on--

once i broke my arm and my horse needed riding- i had that many AI.s that wanted a horse for the summer to ride
that they couldnt get him of the spot.... i gave up-- left him till i healed myself....

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I detest people that ride horses with side reins on (especially if horse has kissing spines, but thats a whole other story).
Things that wind me up are dirty water/feed buckets - id like to see the owners drink out of a cup that hasnt been washed for 3 weeks/5 years.
Most of all I dislike people who feel they have to make riding look difficult to justify their ownb ability - NO NEED!

Olliedog

Visit site
Good topic!
1) Inexperienced rider plus inexperienced horse "They'll grow up together"
2)People who think there way is the only way.
3)People who "save" a horse from the knackery only to have to be "saved" themselves when horse turns out to be a total fruitcake. Sorry,but some are there for a reason!!
4)people just standing around when an obvious beginner is having trouble with a horse.
5)likewise, people who look down their noses when they hear you are a riding school student.
6)someone buys a lovely tempered horse, then wants to sell it when it has ONE bad day.
7)people who use draw reins/standing martingales as an excuse to get a horse on the bit.
8)bratty princesses too precious to even groom their own pony.
9)pink/cutesy/cuddly riding gear.

Phew. I feel better already
grin.gif

Parkranger

Visit site
People who say that their horse is a handful but actually does nothing - bloody rejoice in having a good horse, don't make it up to be a monster!

Ferdinase514

Visit site
OK....(said whilst cracking knuckles)

1. People who call their horses "IT". It is not an "IT" it has a gender and show it some F**king respect.

2. People who have horses and don't ride them (usually because they are too scared). Just bloody sell them and get something you can enjoy. Ok it might not look as flashy but reeaally do you you need to spend all that money to do nothing?

3. People who might once have jumped a descent height 10 yrs ago, but now do no more than strap their horses down to be lunged, not turn them out and own bloody 4 horses. Then who go around bullying and looking down at everyone else, because they're "a show jumper". Bo**ocks.

Ugh.

Helena88

Visit site
people who dismiss all training aids as useless, or only used by incapable riders

and a more personal one: people with no ambition, ok fine do what you want, but aim to be the best at it!

jacks_mum

Visit site
people who punish bad behaviour and don't reward good behaviour. I feel that that actually rewards the bad behaviour so you are likely to get more of it than the good behaviour.

riders that don't thank the drivers that do slow down.

people who feel that they have nothing to learn or there is no point in learning because the rest of the yard can help out.

Puddicat - loved the 'people that jump better than me'
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
People who have horses and dont do nothing with them and leave them to rot in the field or stable.

There are so many people out there that would love a chance to help look after someones horse as they cant afford their own and these people who leave there horses to rot couldn't care less. Its almost like they like having a horse coz its fasionable or something and not actually coz they are interested.