What gives your comp horse sparkle without fizz?

Peanot

Visit site
As said above really. What do you feed your horse for that added bit of sparkle for competition but without the fizz?
Thanks

Bossanova

Visit site
Plain old competition mix or just add in some oats, perhaps an old fashioned way of doing it but seems to do the job!

Marbs

community.webshots.com
The mare I had used to fizz up very easily (couldn't have any cool mix, nor pasture mix for example).

Obviously depends on the individual, but after trying different feeds I had her on Staypower Muesli when she was competing. She did very well on it and didn't fizz up at all.

Peanot

Visit site
Sorry Boss, I forgot to add that she has a cereal intolerance, and I have tried the competition mix by D&H, and she came out in little lumps. These were checked by the vet and she said that they were protein bumps, and to change back to the pasture mix. Her old owner told me that she was intolerant. When I first had her, anything would fizz her up, even the low energy mixes and we worked out that the only thing that was ok with her was pony nuts and hi-fi. Anything else, and she was a fidget and spooky bag of nerves.
Thanks

Bossanova

Visit site
Oil is popular atm- supposed to be good source of slow release energy though many wont eat enough of it to make a real difference.

morgan4eva

Visit site
Copra- fab stuff- quite difficult to get hold of tho. Really does the horses well but without fizz, beautiful shiny coats as well. Its made from part of the cocoanut and is very high in oil and fibre, very palatable and good for fussy feeders or old horses. My Mum has had her 27 year old TB on it for a year and he is a different horse (even off his bute!) We have a seriously sharp competition pony on it who used to drop weight or blow up with too much food and he is thriving on it/

MagicMelon

Visit site
Alfalfa gives slow release energy. As does oil. I also feel sugar beet gives them a bit of a kick, I give mine some really wet stuff at shows in between classes which seems to revitalise them and wake them up again (even if its just to hydrate them)

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Bailey Outshine
smile.gif

MrsMagoo

Visit site
I treid that Staypower muselie last year and seemed to work well - so will prob use it again this year!! I cant feed much to Star without it sending her loopy and at the mo all she is on is a scoop of horse and pony nuts and still fat as a house lol!! Was thinking yesterday i need i change her feeds but what to? who knows lol...

Peanot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Propell Plus, gives them the extra sparkle without the fizz!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

She has this already and has been on it since last year.
But thank you for replying