What has caused these lumps? (pics)

mollichop

Visit site
Also in Veterinary.

lady.jpg

lady2.jpg

On one of our liveries. In her gullet, 2 swellings soft to touch and don't bother her. They have been there for over a week now. She is eating, drinking and working normally.

Change in humidity? hormonal?

Owner was going to call vet out but I said i'd ask on here first.

Spudlet

Visit site
No sign of nasal discharge or similar? Has she been in contact with any strange horses, at a show or something like that?

I'd probably isolate her to be on the safe side until you know what they are, make sure she is done last of all the horses, wash hands properly before moving onto to other touch other horses and keep her buckets and haynets just for her, don't share them with the other horses. Better to be safe than sorry IMO anyway.

cindydog

Visit site
Agree, best to play on the safe side till you know exactly what they are..keep everything as clean as you can, shower when you get home and wash what you wore to the stables straight away.

bad girl

Visit site
My youngster had this, swollen lymph glands I think, cant remember why, but harmless and eventually go down but can take some time

mollichop

Visit site
The obvious glands on her cheeks are normal so was not overly concerned. O.k I think vet needs to assess then to be safe.

No nasal discharge Spudlet and respiritory wise she is fine. Membranes look normal too :confused:

She has been out competing recently and new horse recently came to the yard - will pass on info. Thankyou :)

Spudlet

Visit site
I think it will need to be a vet job too. Are her pulse and temperature normal? Might be worth checking these too as well as respiratory rate, in case she's storing up an infection of some kind?

mollichop

Visit site
hi mollichop!!! one of our liveries has this! she had the vet out yesterday and they diagonsed a cold!! the same lumps and same place. hope your well!

Hey, i'm great thanks. Hmmm a cold? Did that horse have nasal discharge at all? It sounds weird but these are just like 2 testicles :eek:

P.S love M's party name and your new sig :)

goneshowjumping

Visit site
no nasal discharge, but lumps the same.
thanks on M's new name! sounded quite posh being announced at deeping show but didnt really keep up to the name when we trashed half the fences!!! haha

BonneMaman

Visit site
It sounds weird but these are just like 2 testicles :eek:

LOL - perhaps he has had a drastic face-lift.....!

Could just be something really simple like eating something in a hedgerow that doesn't agree with him. Is is grazing poor enough for him to be rummaging in a hedgerow to find "goodies"??