What has happened to my lovely horse :-(

allowayhorses

Visit site
Hi all,

I really don't know what to do about my horse and his behaviour.

I have had him for 2 years now and he has been a saint, a real gem in the school and to hack. For a TB he was very level headed and sensible and I could hack alone or in company with no problems. Now, however is a different story.

I'll give you some background on where I think it's all gone wrong. He went up to compete at the RC championships in Lincoln in September with my 16yr old sharer who has ridden him for a year. On the day of their tests she went into the warm up and he looked nervous but rather than walking him round she stood still and he reared up, she jumped off. I got on him and rode him forwards no issues but she was disqualified from her test (don't ask). They had a second test an hour later so he went back to stable. Was walked back to warm up in hand where he repeatedly reared up and I had to get someone to chase him forwards. Sharer got on did a lovely warm up in quiet corner, got into test and she went wrong. The judge got out and came over but as she was standing still horse reared again and she jumped off. Once back home he had 5 days off (bad decision) and then I moved yards. He has settled really well at new yard but first time I rode him in school he reared up with me when I was adjusting my stirrups. I rode him forwards and he's been fine in school since. Hacking is a different matter, first hack in company complete angel. Second hack alone was fine, third hack the next day by bf was on foot and he was fine until we cut through a field and he stopped and then reared bolt up right. I rode him forwards and back home in trot. Haven't havked for about 4 weeks as been concentrating on schooling and ground work but havked out yesterday and he was vile. No rearing as I didn't let him stop but he bucked at company horse which he would never have done before and jig jogged most of the way. He teeth have just been done, new saddle was fitted in July, I will get Physio out to check his back but it seems his whole behavious has changed since Lincoln. I'm really sad that my lovely boy is no longer and I have a horrid horse to ride.

Any ideas or tips very much welcome as although he doesn't scare me I'm getting very upset and disheartened :-(

Thank you xx

allowayhorses

Visit site
Sorry should add he is 11 yrs old. Have been at new yard since September and sharer no longer rides him. Can bad behaviour be learnt so quickly?

be positive

Visit site
If you rule out physical reasons, yes it could happen that quickly, he was away from home in a probably very tense and exciting situation and environment, when he required reassurance from his rider she froze and let him stand still probably at the same time being very nervous herself, so he overreacted by rearing, you getting on was probably for the best but he had lost his confidence and has now learnt to rear when he is in a situation where he feels worried.

I would go back a step to regain his self confidence, go out with company, set him up to succeed not fail and he should manage to get back his trust, lots of praise when he does well and getting him to relax rather than stress, easier said than done sometimes but worth it.

linperrie

Visit site
I would revisit the saddle situ. You said he had a new one fitted in July, that doesn't mean to say he is happy with it. My friend paid 2k for a fitted saddle and after 18 months, 3 're-fits and a fair amount of muscle wastage she has realised it doesn't fit him. The saddler, a very reputable one, is convinced it's fine. However a go with an extra wide balance saddle saw the same horse relax and go forward instantly. It was amazing the difference. My own experiences are that my Angel girl turned into a bucking demon when hers needed re-stuffing. Sometimes they put up with it until something triggers a reaction (a stressful situ maybe) and then they have had enough. Just a thought but in my opinion, lovely horses who turn rogue are normally trying to tell us something.

ozpoz

Visit site
I would revisit the saddle situ. You said he had a new one fitted in July, that doesn't mean to say he is happy with it. My friend paid 2k for a fitted saddle and after 18 months, 3 're-fits and a fair amount of muscle wastage she has realised it doesn't fit him. The saddler, a very reputable one, is convinced it's fine. However a go with an extra wide balance saddle saw the same horse relax and go forward instantly. It was amazing the difference. My own experiences are that my Angel girl turned into a bucking demon when hers needed re-stuffing. Sometimes they put up with it until something triggers a reaction (a stressful situ maybe) and then they have had enough. Just a thought but in my opinion, lovely horses who turn rogue are normally trying to tell us something.

This. ^
So often a change in behavior is pain or discomfort.

Booboos

Visit site
Why have you not had the vet out? Such persistent rearing in a horse that has never done this before is very likely to be pain. Forget about the back person, the saddler, etc. get the right professional out, i.e. the vet, to figure out what has happened and if he needs any treatment before anyone else.

alext

Visit site
Agree with the saddle comments I had a made to measure saddle for my mare and had ridden her at home in it fine. The first show I took her to In the warm up she was acting strange I got off and she went vertical something she had never done before or since and I've owned her over ten years! When I got home I lunged her with the saddle on and the problem was very clear !!

soulfull

Visit site
i also agree with saddle refit as most likely the problem. it might not even be a really bad fit, just he doesn't like it now

I say this from experience

Wheels

Visit site
Why have you not had the vet out? Such persistent rearing in a horse that has never done this before is very likely to be pain. Forget about the back person, the saddler, etc. get the right professional out, i.e. the vet, to figure out what has happened and if he needs any treatment before anyone else.

This

Yes it might be the saddle, it could also be a thousand other things. Vet first who can advise on the best way forward.

allowayhorses

Visit site
Thank you all for your replies. I will definitely get a saddler out to check the fit as you are right it could be that.

To be honest I never even thought to get the vet out as I thought it was learned bad behaviour but if he is in pain it would explain. He schools fine and lunges fine in saddle but I will get him checked out.

Thank you all again, it's good to have some outside perspective and advice. X

Wheels

Visit site
You think that it was behaviour that just so happened to start at a show, this may be true but i suggest that if the horse had not previously been a rearer then the stress of the show intensified some issue that was already there.

You really have to rule out pain first, you can treat the behaviour but if the horse was and still is in pain then the behaviour will never truly go away

Tern

Visit site

I know this sounds wrong as a horse owner but if your going to call out the vet for a £30 call out fee plus any extra charges for him/her to say get saddler/chiropractor out etc.. bit a waste of money. Not everyone can afford to keep calling people out to get sent to others.

allowayhorses

Visit site
Tern - I agree with what you're saying. My first thought was to get a Physio out as they would be able to pin point and treat any pain, whereas a vet would refer me. Although do I need to ring my vet and explain the situation to get approval for having a Physio treat him???

cambrica

Visit site
I would call the vet first, just explain the situation over the phone. They may suggest a few days of bute, at least then you would have a clearer indication as to whether its pain related.
Did you travel by box or trailer to the show? could anything of happened in transit?

JustKickOn

Visit site
Tern - I agree with what you're saying. My first thought was to get a Physio out as they would be able to pin point and treat any pain, whereas a vet would refer me. Although do I need to ring my vet and explain the situation to get approval for having a Physio treat him???

Not sure what to suggest in regards to your rearing horse situation, but technically, yes. A physio/chiro/osteo requires vet consent to treat a horse.

Lolo

Visit site
Was Lincoln a long journey/ longer than he'd usually do? I'd be getting the vet really- horse travels to new venue, has sudden and new response which is very generally linked to pain, and this is especially shown when he's stood still with a rider on. Vet, and if they find nothing back person, and then a saddler last. And I wouldn't ride until all possible pain issues were ruled out...

pinklilly

Visit site
A change in behaviour could also be due to ulcers or changes in eyesight. Ulcers can appear to be back problems and can result in changes of behaviour such as rearing. Known a childs first pony suddenly rear over backwards at a show, vet was called and the pony was going blind. I would get the vet out first.

Tnavas

Visit site
This sort of behavioural change is often a pain related thing.

I would hazard a guess that maybe he has slipped over in the paddock or box or travelled badly to the RC show.

I'd have a chiro check out his back and the saddler his saddle. Also teeth looked at if not done recently.

At a recent lecture I attended the subject of ulcers was brought up and the lecturer suggested that you should always give a very small fibrous feed before riding, a double hand full of Haylage or damp chaff or some sugarbeet - it stops the acid sloshing around in the stomach. Well worth a try for any unruly horse, especially if it has an ulcer history.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
A sudden and extreme change in behaviour surely has to be down to something and most likely pain/ discomfort which needs investigation. I would work in conjunction with vet and physio to begin with. I wouldn't rule out ulcers as he first showed signs in a stressful situation and this may have kicked off something grumbling away.

I would also check out everything in his new environment. I know he showed some symptoms before you moved him but my gelding changed personality and became very difficult when I moved him to a new yard. I discovered my YO fed him sweet mix and haylage despite me asking her not to and he also became obsessed with a mare there. Although the above issues were sorted he never really settled. I moved after a year and now he has reverted back to his old self and is in fact even better in most ways. I also manage him like he has ulcers making sure he has a high-fibre low sugar diet with plenty of forage mostly soaked as much as possible.

Booboos

Visit site
I know this sounds wrong as a horse owner but if your going to call out the vet for a £30 call out fee plus any extra charges for him/her to say get saddler/chiropractor out etc.. bit a waste of money. Not everyone can afford to keep calling people out to get sent to others.

It's only wrong if you can't correctly diagnose your own horse. If you can correctly diagnose your own horse then you are entirely right you should just call other professionals, but why not go a step further and just give the treatment? If you are wrong, of course, you will have spent the saddler money, the physio money and left your horse in pain before you finally sepnd that 30 quid on the vet.

Hippona

Visit site
This sort of behavioural change is often a pain related thing.

I would hazard a guess that maybe he has slipped over in the paddock or box or travelled badly to the RC show.

I'd have a chiro check out his back and the saddler his saddle. Also teeth looked at if not done recently.

At a recent lecture I attended the subject of ulcers was brought up and the lecturer suggested that you should always give a very small fibrous feed before riding, a double hand full of Haylage or damp chaff or some sugarbeet - it stops the acid sloshing around in the stomach. Well worth a try for any unruly horse, especially if it has an ulcer history.

I do this for one of mine...especially in winter when the grass is not as plentiful. Definitely stops girthiness and bucking in canter for mine. Small cupful of fast fibre for me :)