what height is right for me??

Jessthomsxn

New User
Visit site
Hey guys,
So i unfortunately just had to end my current loan and am now looking for a new one.
I am 14 years old, 5'2 and weigh roughly 6 stone, my old loan horse was 15.3 hh and she felt perfect even though i looked a tad too small. I rode my friends pony who is 14.2 and i felt huge on her!! even though my friend is 5'6. But the main question is what height of horse should i be looking for? xx

SpringArising

Visit site
I'm surprised you felt just right on a 15.3. I'm an inch smaller than you and I feel minuscule on something that height. I have a 14.2 who is a bit too chunky for me, but height wise that's about as big as I go. My friend has a 13.2 fine Cob who I feel right at home on, and I also feel very comfy on another friend's 12.2 chunky Welsh.

Jessthomsxn

New User
Visit site
I'm surprised you felt just right on a 15.3. I'm an inch smaller than you and I feel minuscule on something that height. I have a 14.2 who is a bit too chunky for me, but height wise that's about as big as I go. My friend has a 13.2 fine Cob who I feel right at home on, and I also feel very comfy on another friend's 12.2 chunky Welsh.
I might just be used to something a bit bigger lol, the horse I rode in the riding school was 18.2 😂

gallopingby

Visit site
Not so much about height more about conformation. A decently put together 13.2 with a good length of rein and shoulder will ride much bigger and feel more comfortable than a 15.2 with an upright shoulder and no length of rein.

Shay

Visit site
It depends on your body length / leg length ratio and how wide the horse is!

If you have longer legs than torso you will feel better - and arguably look letter - on a horse / pony that takes up the length of your leg. So a shorter rounder one or a taller thinner one. However if you have a longer torso than leg you'll look like a pea on anything tall or wide.

In your place I would look for the horse / pony that suits you and your aims just now and not worry too much about what height it is. Don't rule out something that could be "the" one just because it seems a bit small or tall. You are light enough to go on pretty much anything. My daughter is similar -possibly a tiny bit shorter. Same weight. She looks fine on a 13.2 cob and a 15.1 Connie. In a show saddle she can get away with a stocky native 12.2 - but looks a bit "daddy long legs" on thinner sec A's. Not too heavy - just not the best picture. She doesn't look too small on a 16.3 TB - but looks a bit thelwell on the same height sec d.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
At 14 you still have chance to compete in pony classes. I'd look for a 14.2 if you are interested in competing.

LMSmith

Visit site
I think at 5'2 its more about what you feel happy on. You are neither very tall nor very heavy so I wouldn't really say there was anything you should avoid.

Like already said at 14 you can still compete in pony classes if competing is something you want to do so I would also say 14.2 and under :)

southerncomfort

Visit site
I'm 5'3 and my mare is 14.3hh and she feels absolutely perfect for me.

She is also ridden by my daughter who is around 5'0 and she also looks fine on her. If I were you I'd stick with something smaller for now. You'll get used to it! :D

ETA: Daughter's pony is 13.2hh and she also looks fine on her!