What height should i compete and how long?

Visit site
So... to start off I bought a quarter horse that did barrel racing and roping and things in that area. At first, I bought him to ride for fun but one day we started jumping for fun and he loved it so much we just kind of stuck with it. I've been showing hunters, jumpers, and schooling cross country. My horse had a tendency to get quite strong, but we went western for a bit and just worked on him. But I've practiced about 2'9-3'0 before and the highest I've showed him is 2'3. I've gained a lot of confidence and will pretty much jump anything. What I want to know is what height I would be best at (I was thinking 2'3-2'6), but my biggest concern is how long do I stay at one height?

Vodkagirly

Visit site
Show at an easy height and then wish that you jumped bigger is my recommendation. If you come out wishing you had jumped a bigger class then you know to move up next time.
This, make it easy and enjoyable for both of you. If it's new to you and your horse, go in as low as you can. Let the atmosphere and new venue be the challenge not the jumps. Plenty of time to increase the height in the future.

Lady Jane

Visit site
I've just enteredmy first SJ jumping competition since 1998 - yes no typos. I've entered the 60-70cm (2'3") as it will look tiny and the 70-80cm as I know it will be the same track just a bit bigger. A couple of weeks ago I did a 60-70cm XC - it was tiny but I still got eliminated as I accidently did an extra jump that was in my path. My plan is jump a height you are really confident at so you have brain space for all the other things a show brings with it - and have fun!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I think you just sort of know when to move up. Do a few 2'3s and if horse finds it easy then step up a class. Thats what I do. I get bored after a while doing a height and if Im finding horse feels its easy and is placing well the vast majority of the time, then its time to move up. Personally I dont find it bears much relevance if you jump a lot bigger at home as a show environment is different.

Visit site
I've just enteredmy first SJ jumping competition since 1998 - yes no typos. I've entered the 60-70cm (2'3") as it will look tiny and the 70-80cm as I know it will be the same track just a bit bigger. A couple of weeks ago I did a 60-70cm XC - it was tiny but I still got eliminated as I accidently did an extra jump that was in my path. My plan is jump a height you are really confident at so you have brain space for all the other things a show brings with it - and have fun!
Well, I've shown 2'3 before so start 2'3 and if its good and we do ok then move up?

Lady Jane

Visit site
Well, I've shown 2'3 before so start 2'3 and if its good and we do ok then move up?
I would start at 2'3" and see how you feel, if it feels easy and fluent, go a little higher. If its messy, even if clear, I would compete at that height but you should be training at home a little bigger. Just my opinion, others may disagree