What height will my filly make..?

Irishsportgirl

Visit site
Hi everyone,

I’m currently in the process of purchasing a unique filly. She’s currently very leggy, standing at around 12.2hh at 9 months old.
Dam is a 14.2/3hh spotted new forest, sire is supposedly a 17hh warmblood (although there is no breeding recorded to support this and owner not 100%)..

I know normally it depends highly on parents’ height and breed etc, but what height does everyone think she will make?

poacher82

Visit site
No idea on what height she'll make, but if the dam is spotted then she cannot be a pure bred New Forest, she will be a part-bred - so you will have a bit of something else to throw in to the mix determining what height your filly ends up! Hopefully she'll make whatever you want her to :)

Asha

Visit site
12.2 at 9 months is quite small, so id suggest she will take after her dam, and make around 14.2 . Thats assuming shes had the correct diet up until now, and not under nourished.
i have 2 that are 9 months, one is 15hds, and the other approx 13.3. The smaller one is expected to make 15.3. i dont want to know where the larger one will finish.

I'm Dun

Visit site
No idea on what height she'll make, but if the dam is spotted then she cannot be a pure bred New Forest, she will be a part-bred - so you will have a bit of something else to throw in to the mix determining what height your filly ends up! Hopefully she'll make whatever you want her to :)

There was a spotted stallion run on the forest a while back so theres a fair few spotted part breds about.

Please, please, please, please have the filly tested for PSSM before you buy her. It was so common in new forests that the breed society had to step in and bring in mandatory testing for stallion. It can still be passed on from the mares though.

And I agree with the 14.2hh ish estimate. Roughly a hand per year from 1 to 3. with a couple of inches either way possible.