What Height Would You Start a Novice Youngster at SJ?

melliebobs

Visit site
I am taking my 5 year old horse to his first outing on Sunday, he has never been to a show before and I was thinking of doing a 75cm class with him. He is a 16.3 warmblood and probably has the scope to do a bigger class, but I wanted to give us both an easy time first time out and enjoy it. There are a few going from my yard and they are trying to encourage me to do the 85cm class, but I really don't want to spook me or my boy, and 85cm is about the biggest we have been training at.

What was the height you first did with your horse and what would you do if you was me?

Just interested to hear.....

Thanks

PaddyMonty

Visit site
If I was you I would do the 75cm. No matter how well a youngster is jumping at home they pretty much always go very green at their first few shows.
If all goes well in the 75cm then no harm in popping the 85cm as well. Make the call on the day.

Lolo

Visit site
Tango did 60cm for his first efforts so he could goggle the whole way in and still go over. He was jumping 85cm courses in lessons happily, and after a few rounds moved up to 80cm confidently.

melliebobs

Visit site
You have both really helped. I want him to find it easy, then confidently move up, like Tango! If I give him chance to duck out now I feel it could start bad habits. I was just worried I was going too small after everyone's comments on the yard. He is still really green and I think we will be trotting a lot of it.

No matter what they say I am doing that 75! And more so I feel happy and confident at that! :)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I get them to the stage where they can trot round 80cm then first outing is BS clear round at 80cm with back bars taken off. If that goes well they are put back on and they go round the course. Next outing will normally then be BS. But before this they will have jumped a few courses away from home where we have hired them.

TarrSteps

Visit site
People on yards tend to be very brave when it's not their horse or them riding!

Absolutely!

Just go out and do what you're comfortable with. If it all turns out to be too easy then move up the next time and no harm done, but if you have a problem it will be much trickier to sort it. You never have a second chance to make a first impression to the horse!

I also like to get horses out to venues to jump rather than only go to competitions, because you can play around with the fences and put them up on the go, rather than having to take the horse in and out. It's a much more pleasant and educational experience for most horses. Then, when they'll jump around confidently you can go off to more advanced competitions feeling positive.

melliebobs

Visit site

Yep, think you hit the nail on the head. I don't have transport yet to get around much for training, he has literally been in an indoor once to do a clinic a couple of weeks ago, so want to treat this as a bit of training really.

jessjc

Chaddleworth, Berkshire (Wantage/Newbury)
Visit site
I shouldn't think your horse will notice the difference between the two classes - so go with whichever one you feel happiest with. After a few shows, go up a level, and take it as slow or fast as you see fit. Good luck! I am in the same boat with mine. I have two. My first youngster I took to a few shows as a 4/5 yr old to do the 80cm with - he jumped every fence HUGE! But then he settled down and started jumping BN and Discovery quite quickly with no probs. Have fun!

kassieg

Visit site
My 5 year old went out for her 1st time sj last Thursday
Shes a 16hh idxtb , I had put down to do 75 but the course was already set at 80cm with all of the fillers in (it was a training event so we could choose) so having a brave moment I was like il do it
I'm so glad I did she was amazing got a lovely rhythm just jumped farr to big over the oxer in a 1 strided double & couldnt get out, came round again & popped it perfectly

I would say do what you feel happy with dont listen to anyone else other than your instructor if you have 1, you know you & your horse

MandyMoo

Visit site

Agreed!!

I'd do the 75cm so you don't frighten either of you :) then if it goes well, go for the 85cm - decide on the day. Could always do the 75cm once, and then again HC if you wanted two rounds but not the extra height.

Good luck :)

moodymare1987

Visit site
I took my 9 year old to our first jumping class together last night and did the 65 cm and then did the 75 cm. I know full well he can jump but at a show it's totally different and I didn't want to over do it. So popped round those two classes. He was brilliant and I come out beaming and left it at that. Do what you are comfortable with. Forget what people on the yard think. It's your horse just go and we how you get on doing the smaller round.

pipsqueek

Visit site
Definitely do the 75... you just want an enjoyable round for your horses' first outing! Will make it easy for him, it isn't the height that matters, he will get used to jumping a course & hopefully will think it's fun & easy & then you can move him up next time. I was trotting round 65 cm 2yrs ago and just moved her up gradually (was 9 when I got her & she started sj) Don't let anybody on your yard influence you!! You know your horse, good luck :)

little_flea

Visit site
The height probably doesn't matter too much if the horse is a good jumper and you are reasonably experienced - first outings are usually just about getting used to the atmosphere. I think main thing is not to overphase the horse though, so I would start really small and do a few rounds instead, until horse seems forward and happy. I am usually crash test dummy for my trainer and ours (usually 4-year olds) jump a couple of small unaffiliated shows before going on to British Novice – there are so many things for a baby to think about - spookiness, the warm up, steering etc, that it is easier (and cheaper) to just do tiny things first times out to keep horses happy and come back feeling good about themselves. Good luck!

melliebobs

Visit site
Thanks everyone, nice to know what you all do with yours. I have never started off one from scratch before and he was only backed last May, so a young 5 year old. I am happy to go in a 75cm now and not feel silly, and if needs be I can go in again as hc to resolve any problems. To get round them all with us both smiling is the main thing, we have to both enjoy it. I have not competed for 6 years and had 2 babies since I last had a horse, so I guess I am lacking in a bit of competition confidence too. If all goes well we will do an 85cm next time out, I am not in any rush! Lovely advice from you all xx

bounce

Visit site
I've just started taking my youngster out and although she is jumping around 85 courses in training with ease I find that at a show she lacks all her normal confidence and it is like riding a completely different horse. So we just go out and do 70cm courses in shows at the moment and will only move up in height once her confidence builds. Height is definitely not the problem for her but its all the sights and sounds at a show that distract her. We got to the first fence of a tiny course the other day and she was completely shell shocked that something was in front of her so we almost jumped to the top of the wings. I'm sure she would probably do the same around a 90cm course but Id rather take things slowly, there is no rush. I think you are doing exactly the right thing, don't listen to the yard experts!

ihatework

Visit site
I'm not much of a jumper these days, but when I did do a bit I wouldn't take them out until they were reasonably confidently cantering over 80/85cm at home. I'd then usually start in the ring at 75cm and be prepared to jump from trot if they went very green

leflynn

Visit site
Haha I did a 45cm as a first outing - he is more than happy to jump 75/85 cm at home but I figured he would die on me and go greener than a green thing that is very green - and he did! At least we could step over them.... We are now at the heady heights of 55-65 in our 3rd show, still being a bit green but managing to get a DC on 2nd outing :D (I am ususally pitched against whizzy ponies so tough to get a placing but OH and I have a giggle)

rising_promise

Visit site
There's nothing wrong with starting small. And yes, I know 'small' to some people will be BN but it's not for your average rider. I started my 4yo ex racer at 60cm. She had never jumped a course away from home before. She jumped 2 lovely clear rounds and we went home, mission accomplished.

Andrew Nicholson takes his babies straight in at BE Novice but as much as I'd like to ride as well as him, I don't!

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
I'm not much of a jumper these days, but when I did do a bit I wouldn't take them out until they were reasonably confidently cantering over 80/85cm at home. I'd then usually start in the ring at 75cm and be prepared to jump from trot if they went very green

I agree with this. Also I am a great believer in not doing too much too soon, so take him in the 75, and then give him a breather and go back in again HC. I prefer to do this with green horses than automatically take them in the next class up. Make everything a nice happy time for him now and you will save yourself so much agro later on!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I agree with this. Also I am a great believer in not doing too much too soon, so take him in the 75, and then give him a breather and go back in again HC. I prefer to do this with green horses than automatically take them in the next class up. Make everything a nice happy time for him now and you will save yourself so much agro later on!

Very true. If the horse goes away confident and cheery you are setting yourself up for success in the future. How many times do you see people get greedy, have a problem and then not be able to finish on a good note.

Firewell

Visit site
I think you have to do a class height where you are confident that you can make them jump from a standstill.
I did a 70cm CR with my boy as his first SJ show because I knew they were small enough to trot round and that he could jump them from a standstill if necessary (I don't do stopping ;) ). Also because it was a CR there was no pressure. You want the fence height to be well within your comfort zone so you can hold his hand and give him confidence on the way round.
Mine went clear, got a little rossie and I took him straight home. I was so pleased. I.could have done more but why would I have wanted him to get tired or push him to fail at his first go?! It's important to give them a nice, east experience at this stage, it's all about confidence not the height at this stage :).
I also recommend jumping clinics with 2 or 3 others at the same stage. Great practice for warm ups and jumping at new venues with other horses around and again no pressure :).

Lolo

Visit site
And it's so much easier to go back next time building up- repairing foundations is never as good as laying them properly the first time. The damage is always there, just patched.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I would normally do tiny for a first outing, but then due to lack of facilities I never get much chance to jump much at home (grass paddock so very weather dependent, as I dont like jumping youngsters on slippy grass etc. early on when trying to gain their confidence) whereas other people with a school probably get the chance to jump round an entire course regularly. So I think you have to take into account how much you jump at home too. Personally, I normally jump tiny (like 2'3!) for a first outing as often the horse is excited with it being his first proper outing and lots of bright jumps etc. so I usually feel it best to make the job itself really easy to begin with.

At the end of the day, you know your horse. Ignore everyone else.

kez1001

Visit site
Have to admit I'm not usually brave enough with a youngster to go straight to a show. I'm def in the over prepared group at times. I had a little mare who I took to a local clear round nearly every week and did the cross pole class. The first week she flew round holding her breath and jumping everything far too big and with her eyes shut! The girl at the ring side asked if I'd like the fences up to back her off, I told her I'd rather go home with clean pants ;) It took her about four outings for her to slow down and look where she was going. We looked very silly I'm sure but I've been pushed by others to go bigger before we were ready before and it ruined our confidence. Now with any youngster I would aim to go out and get them steadily going over a course of poles on the floor and take it from there - I am the ultimate wimp!