what horse is best for me?

samsmart

New User
Visit site
I am 25 and weigh aprox 20 stone 5'5" i am loosing weight, i am looking to buy my own horse but am usure of the breed that will be best for me as i know its not the height of the horse that matters??

Rachel_M

Visit site
A HW cob would do you I feel. You don't want a horse too tall or you will struggle to look after them. Look for a horse with a lot of bone and short back
smile.gif

Good luck with your search!
smile.gif

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
Have a look at the Suffolk Punch x that are out there - my friend has one that is 15hh(Suffolk x TB) and has carried 22 stone hunting with no problem. I also had a 15.2hh Suffolk x Welsh that was superb, and carried my 18 stone friend out hunting with bloodhounds and foxhounds.

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
Suffolks do not actually carry that much weight. When I bought mine and had him vetted I was advised that 14 stone was his maximum weight to carry and he is crossed with a cob !! so has plenty of bone. The are land horses built and designed for pulling rather than carrying, they are not really designed to be ridden if you want to be really picky.

Sorry - no offense meant to anyone.

htobago

Visit site
You are quite right - it is not the height of the horse that matters in weight-carrying, but the amount of bone. You need a horse with 9.5 inches of bone or more. (Measure the circumference of the front leg, just below the knee.)
smile.gif

zoeshiloh

www.stowmarketanddistrictridingclub.com
[ QUOTE ]
Suffolks do not actually carry that much weight. When I bought mine and had him vetted I was advised that 14 stone was his maximum weight to carry and he is crossed with a cob !! so has plenty of bone. The are land horses built and designed for pulling rather than carrying, they are not really designed to be ridden if you want to be really picky.

Sorry - no offense meant to anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know a lot of people that would disagree with you over this point - living in the middle of Suffolk and surrounded by many farms that still have suffolks, the majority of these are ridden by men weighing well over 15 stone.

Whilst we can say a Suffolk is a farming horse, and therefore was bred to pull rather than be ridden, that is also true of Shires, Clydesdales and so on - they were cart horses rather than riding horses.

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
I knew you would come back with something like that - and yes I agree, all I was pointing out that it is not always the fact that just cause they have large bone they can carry the weight. vet and farrier agree with the weight limit set for him at 14 stone