What horse products do you use on yourself because they are better/cheaper than the human version?

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
My daughter has just given me “you have got to be kidding” look as I have wrapped my hand in self adhesive bright pink vet wrap. The human version at the chemist was 4x more expensive and a lot smaller, even if it was skin coloured.

I used to use TopTails or ShowSheen or Cowboy magic on my daughters hair when she was a little girl. She didn’t know and we never had any tears or upset about knots in long straight hair.

Hubby uses horse liniment post his mountain bike riding and we both use it in the ski season.

Whats your favourite - even if you should be a bit embarrassed by the colour or strong smell?

Horseysheepy

Visit site
I used to use fly spray on myself just before riding. Then I read the warnings and some posts on here that it's not actually very good for you......

You can buy roll on human fly repellent which is handy to put on your arms before hacking out. I can't remember what company sells it though, it may be pre - citronella ban days!

I strapped my broken fingers together with vetwrap. Tried Mane and Tail on my hair in my teens, but it made it sticky!
Ive used Animalintex many times for human wounds! Great stuff!

I

PurBee

Visit site
I re-cycle baler twine from hay in the crop garden - really strong/u.v proof/bright colour so it’s easy to see - much better/cheaper than garden centre natural twines that rot/mould after 1 year, especially in this wet climate.
I’ve got bags of twine, hundred of metres, use it for so much around the land.

It was baler twine and horse electric fence posts that helped me fashion a temporary 6 foot deer fence - temporary ended up being 10yrs! Horse stuff is made strong generally.

Micronised linseed on porridge is great - pre-ground saves me time ?

I sometimes use horse bedding as a mulch for garden beds - overall cheaper than buying in a loose tonne bag of bark chips -it suppresses weeds really well.

If i could find organic straw i’dnuse that too in the garden as mulch, heating up the soil, retaining moisture and growing potatoes in.

I’ve used their fly spray on myself, but generally buy non-toxic stuff as my mare has reacted to chemicals in skin sprays in the past.

I’ll dib into the mag ox if i run out of human magnesium supplement.
I tasted prog. Earth supplement and it was bitter foul, so was put off using it myself…but understood why my boy threw his bucket feed contents all over the ground when using it, had to switch ‘cos he hated it!

MissTyc

Visit site
Vet wrap is a no brainer, as we just always have so much of it!

I managed to cure my psoriasis with Malacetic Shampoo. This is after using SO MANY human treatments, including prescription, everything. The only thing that worked was steroid-based and always temporary. Malacetic = fixed within three washes. After years of suffering. Not cheaper, but BETTER.

Botanica cream for my hands in winter, just because it's there.

A girl on my yard drenched her hair in Deosect "as a laugh". That was not good. Not good at all. Don't do that.

SpotsandBays

Visit site
I can’t think of any off the top of my head, but the owner of a stables I worked at as a young teen would use stable bandages instead of chaps/gaiters with his short boots when he was riding! Seemed like more of a faff to me ?

Starzaan

Visit site
I used to use bandages instead of chaps when I was a polo groom and was riding sets in shorts and trainers.

Have often used shampoos etc on my hair.

And always use medical things. After so many years doing rehab, I have an ENORMOUS first aid kit so there’s always some sort of lotion, potion or dressing I can use on myself or the dogs ?

Mari

Visit site
I have arthritis & bought some Bettalife Joint Completefrom a stand at Premier League. Chatting to the sales lady I told her I had my horse on it all winter but couldn’t afford it for myself as well. She told me the ingredients in human & equine Joint Complete are the same so I could take a teaspoon of equine powder in a little orange juice instead of buying the more expensive human tablets.