What is 148cm in Old Money

Joyous70

Visit site
As above really, I would like to enter Trailblazers 1st round competition in a couple of weeks time, however, it states the class is for seniors 148cm and over, my girl is 14.31/2 so not quite 15hh, are we eligible?

Thanks in advance

conniegirl

Visit site
it is a smidge over 14.2hh, you should note however that it would be best to have an official measurement done for any height restricted classes as horses very often measure differently to what they look.
I was endlessly challenged on the height of my connemara, the height limit was 14.2hh, he measured 14hh on his tippy toes but he looked so much bigger once you got a saddle on him

be positive

Visit site
So if its a smidge over, and we are a smidge under 15hh we are o.k then ? :cool:

You will be fine, they have to have a cut off point to use and are very unlikely to be concerned about the exact height as long as you are not trying to do under 148 as well as over and the horse can cope with the striding in the horse classes.

Joyous70

Visit site
only if he actually measures that and not just looks it
yes she is most definately 14.31/2
You will be fine, they have to have a cut off point to use and are very unlikely to be concerned about the exact height as long as you are not trying to do under 148 as well as over and the horse can cope with the striding in the horse classes.
I don't think she will have an issue with the striding, she's quite athletic, i just didn't want to turn up to be told I couldn't compete.

Joyous70

Visit site
I think the issues over height would probably be for the junior riders on 148's and under as some 148's look huge!
I agree, some of the ponies I see competing are huge. My mare actually looks bigger than she is most people think she is 15.2hh at least its only when they see her next to something that is 15.2hh they realise how short she is, she is not however, tiny, she is quite a unit.

https://equine-world.co.uk/about-ho...height-hh-hands-and-cm-centimetres-conversion

Found a conversion table here. 14.3 is 149.86 so sounds like yours is over
Thats fab Criso thank you

rara007

Visit site
You need a height certificate if you’re that close really- for your own knowledge as much as anything! They’re measured without shoes so going to be very close...

Joyous70

Visit site
You need a height certificate if you’re that close really- for your own knowledge as much as anything! They’re measured without shoes so going to be very close...
We will only ever do unaffiliated, i suppose if it became an issue I would consider it. Most people refuse to believe me that she's under 15hh she holds herself very tall.

conniegirl

Visit site
When daughter did ponies, her pony had a lifetime cert at 148, stood next to some of the other ponies he looked very small and they looked almost a hand taller!

Some horses hold themselves tall, some fill the eye more.
My connie was well under 14.2hh so when i took him for his height cert he had his shoes off (this is required) and that was it, no other preparation at all and he measured at 142.8 cms (14hh). Yet we were constantly officially challenged to prove he was under 14.2hh as he was a very big looking pony. He filled your eye and held himself proud.

My current lad will measure 13.2hh any day of the week, even in full show condition and with long feet (he was officially measured in August 2010, a week after he qualified for HOYS) . Yet i've had a few comments from other competitors that he looks much bigger, normally from people who have never had a pony officially measured. Again he is a big lad in otherways (6ft rugs, 17.5” wide saddle etc) so fills the eye and just looks bigger then he actually is

Last edited:

Bernster

Visit site
Ooh yes I can see that - def looks a non midget, smaller horsey from that pic.

Why are cms sometimes used - is this more for showing classes or PC stuff? I get confused as I am so used to hands as the measure not cms.

Joyous70

Visit site
Ooh yes I can see that - def looks a non midget, smaller horsey from that pic.

Why are cms sometimes used - is this more for showing classes or PC stuff? I get confused as I am so used to hands as the measure not cms.

I know there is nothing in the picture for reference, but to me she appears more horse than pony.

I really wish they could leave it as hands, as thats what im used to as well, its only a Trailblazer round 1, but states on the entry seniors riding over 148cm on a 75cm class which in my money is around 2'6"????

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Oohhh I'm so glad its not just me that gets confused with "new measurements".

In my day, many light-years ago in a galaxy far far away........ horses/ponies were measured in hands - and you knew where you were; and fences were something where you knew what you were jumping i.e. 2'6", 3'6" etc, and not all this modern new-fangled metric stuff!!

OK so yep I know I'm a dinosaur and a metric-o-phobe! Can't help it :)

humblepie

Visit site
Absolutely local shows were 12.2 12 years and under, 13.2 14 years and under, 14.2 16 years and under then open. Generally no novice classes and the open would probably be 3'6 - 3'9" track. Then before I knew it, we were in the veteran rider classes (some local shows had them starting at 35 years and over for the jumping). Now don't jump at all and it is all beyond me.

Joyous70

Visit site
Oohhh I'm so glad its not just me that gets confused with "new measurements".

In my day, many light-years ago in a galaxy far far away........ horses/ponies were measured in hands - and you knew where you were; and fences were something where you knew what you were jumping i.e. 2'6", 3'6" etc, and not all this modern new-fangled metric stuff!!

OK so yep I know I'm a dinosaur and a metric-o-phobe! Can't help it :)
Im with you here ;)

Absolutely local shows were 12.2 12 years and under, 13.2 14 years and under, 14.2 16 years and under then open. Generally no novice classes and the open would probably be 3'6 - 3'9" track. Then before I knew it, we were in the veteran rider classes (some local shows had them starting at 35 years and over for the jumping). Now don't jump at all and it is all beyond me.

I used to jump my 13.2hh (as a senior, im only 5'1") in our local shows at the 13.2hh class which was 3'0" with a 3'3" jump off, open was around 3'9"

humblepie

Visit site
Im with you here ;)

I used to jump my 13.2hh (as a senior, im only 5'1") in our local shows at the 13.2hh class which was 3'0" with a 3'3" jump off, open was around 3'9"
Yes I had a good 13.2 and won the open jumping at a local show and had the trophy presented to us by Sir Gordon Richards and got write ups in the local paper as aged 10 on my pony we’d beaten the adults. Didn’t really know who he was at the time but by odd coincidences nowadays sometimes do stuff for work in the Sir Gordon Richards room at the British Racing School. A small cross pole terrifies me now.