What is a lip strap?

Damnation

Visit site
Following on from a post in Marmalade76's thread.
What is a lip strap?
How do you fit them?
Do they have to be used with a pelham?
Are they used in a double bridle?
Just curious really. I have never really ridden in a pelham or double bridle so never had any experience of them.
Ta :D

MrVelvet

Visit site
its a little leather strap that attaches to either side of the bit and through a loop on the curb chain :) they are used on some pelhams and curb bits

I think they are to hold the curb chain in place and restrict movement of the lip i stand to be corrected though

rhino

Visit site
It is a little rolled leather strap that runs between the 'shanks' of a curb/weymouth or pelham bit, and go through the central ring of the curb chain. It helps keep the curb chain flat even if the curb is used/leverage applied. They are traditionally correct with double bridles although fewer people seem to use them for pelhams. :)

Syrah

Visit site
Following on from a post in Marmalade76's thread.
What is a lip strap?
How do you fit them?
Do they have to be used with a pelham?
Are they used in a double bridle?
Just curious really. I have never really ridden in a pelham or double bridle so never had any experience of them.
Ta :D

Gosh you're brave asking :D ;) :p

Damnation

Visit site
Gosh you're brave asking :D ;) :p

Haha thanks ;)

I am being civil in asking, always ridden in snaffles and when I have ridden the odd time in a pelham and double reins, the other people have helped with curb but I have never experienced a lip strap :D

If people got rude. I would tell them where to go ;)

Thank you all who have so kindly replied, it has clarified it somewhat :)

Donnie Darco

Visit site
How do we learn if we don't ask??!!

Surely the ignorant person is the one who doesn't ask but claims to 'know it all!'

I didn't know what a liP strap was either until this post - I've never used/had to use one

But I myself ask lots of 'stupid' questions ... We are not born with the knowledge!! :) and I'd rather ask question than use something when no idea what/why/when!

DD x

Ps sorry if ramble, using phone and had glass vino :) x

Foxhunter49

Visit site
I agree that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked!

On curb chains there is an extra link which hangs down from the main chain. This is for the lip strap to go through and the purpose of the lip strap is so that the chain does not twist over.

Lip straps are little used nowadays but when I was taught you were never allowed to use a curb bit without one.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
And oddly, a girl who took my boy showing didn't use one. Said she could 'get away' with not using one on his Pelham. She's been showing forever and everything else had to be 110%. :confused:

Beaucanstandsquare-2.jpg

You can't see the chain, but it's there.

Damnation

Visit site
I agree - i did wonder what a lip strap was when i read original post but was afraid of being shot down - hat off to ya!!!:D

Glad to know my thread has been educational, as someone has said lip straps are little seen these days!

What is this forum coming to if we cannot post a question without fear of being riddiculed? As I said, if someone was rude I would ask them if they were all knowing, and to jog on :D

Again thank you everyone who have been so helpful :D