What is a nice make of saddle....on a budget??

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
I also recommend thorowgood saddles. Ive now had four of them 3 for cobs and one for a TBxWB (nore TB then WB) and they were great comfy saddles for horse and rider. Ive had a maxam cob T6 cob, T6 standard and now I have T8 cob :) T8 are leather/synthetic mix and it cost me 500 quid brand new, fully adjustable as well :)

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
Op, don't mess around with ebay - get a saddler out, tell then your budget (inc. call out and fitting) and get them to fit you a nice 2nd hand saddle.
Job done.

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
I agree with getting the saddler out, it will be money well spent. I have bought saddles on eBay but only after the exact model and size was being bought by a friend so I got to have it assessed on my girl too, so I knew it would fit perfectly.

I would also recommend the saddler route as you could get a far higher quality saddle second hand than new. Thirteen years ago a saddler sold us a used Towe black country made hunter saddle for our 17 handed and it still fits like a glove (with lots of checks and flocking etc along the way) and it is still like a Parker knoll armchair to ride in.

NB I did get youngster girlie a thorowgood cob saddle for bringing her on after backing in a treeless. Ironically saddlers wouldnt supply them (no profit in it) but when they checked the fit after I got it it was perfect, and girlie is still ridden in it daily 5 years on.
The only saddle mistake I made was buying a new GFS VSD for him, the leather was horrible on it, cardboardy and cheap looking and I never liked it, sold it at a big loss so I didn't have to look at it!

Last edited:

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Don't think about a particular make of saddle for your horse because that isn't the way to go. Horses are all different shapes & some makes of saddle will never be suitable for your horse where another make you will have a better chance with.

People have posted about buying the adjustable saddles, Bates, Thorogood etc & yes these may be able to be adjusted to fit your horse but gullet width is not the only adjustment that may be needed. Even if you buy an adjustable get a saddler out to ensure the right fit, don't rely on yourself to fit it or you may have spent money & ended up right back at the start again with another saddle that doesn't fit. It may cost you £50 to have a saddler out to fit but this is money well spent, assuming they are competant to do the job.

dollymix

Visit site
Don't think about a particular make of saddle for your horse because that isn't the way to go. Horses are all different shapes & some makes of saddle will never be suitable for your horse where another make you will have a better chance with.

People have posted about buying the adjustable saddles, Bates, Thorogood etc & yes these may be able to be adjusted to fit your horse but gullet width is not the only adjustment that may be needed. Even if you buy an adjustable get a saddler out to ensure the right fit, don't rely on yourself to fit it or you may have spent money & ended up right back at the start again with another saddle that doesn't fit. It may cost you £50 to have a saddler out to fit but this is money well spent, assuming they are competant to do the job.

Well said and just what I was going to right. TBH I'd rather spend money buying a well made and good quality second hand saddle, fittd by a saddler, than buying a cheap brand-new saddle. I think you would get a better saddle this way for the same sort of money - possibly cheaper!

Wheels

Visit site
Agree with people above, none of us can really give you a recommendation for your particular horse, you need to go to a saddler with your budget and they can find something suitable for you. I went to a saddler a few yrs ago with a budget half of your size and he found me something decent (an older stubben but well looked after) for my money.

Some saddlers will fit for free if you buy from them.

kerilli

Visit site
how desperate are you? I am not a million miles away, and have a Barrie Swain gp which is gathering dust in my tackroom, it is my backing saddle and is waiting for my next backer. I don't want to sell it. I am going to Barrie's next week so could get it altered to fit if you got a template taken (it is medium at the moment but his are adjustable) and lend it to you, either long term or short term, but I would require a decent (refundable) deposit as I don't know you at all, obviously, and don't want my saddle to disappear etc. pm me if that helps, don't worry if not.

mandwhy

Visit site
Oh didn't realise you were nearby, if you go on www.foreversaddles.co.uk this lady actually stocks thorowgood and wintec, and she is only about 40 pounds to come out. Or Poppy Webber is highly recommended, she works for the saddle company but stocks second hand as well, you can find her on facebook she is also a Bowen person and does combo deals for a Bowen treatment and saddle fit check. I used one from further away but he was expensive and stocks more expensive saddles (doesn't really like synthetics as is a master saddler).

There are saddle fitters who will tell you what you need, you find it and then they will fit/adjust it.

1Lucie

Visit site
I have purchased a new thorowgood one. I was dubious about it and I know many ppl r. I love it!!!! V smart and comfy And horse is much happier! Even my friend whose bd dressage rider loves it!!

L&M

Visit site
I have just had an Ideal Grandee GP second hand saddle fitted for our new horse - fitted by a Master Saddler and cost £450 including call out and fitting.

Your budget is good - the same saddler showed me several cheaper second hand leather ones than the above, but typically the most expensive fitted the horse best, and felt most comfortable for me!

I also have an Ideal Event on my cob and love their saddles as have great knee blocks for jumping and a nice wide seat that make me feel very secure.

I haven't read through the prior posts so apologise if this has already been said, but there is a website that lists all Master Saddlers and is easily found on the internet.