What is a 'normal' age to lose a horse?

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
With the greatest of respect, if they don't make 23 I'd be a bit worried as my nine horses have all gone on to at least that and beyond. Happiness throughout life is key and a warm loving environment where they can thrive. I talk to mine every day and although they don't quite talk back ;) they know how loved they are

With the greatest respect that is probably one of the most stupid and ignorant things I have ever read on a horse forum. If it wasn't so insultingly cruel to other owners who have loved and lost their precious horses at earlier ages it would be funny....almost.:rolleyes:

teddypops

Visit site
With the greatest of respect, if they don't make 23 I'd be a bit worried as my nine horses have all gone on to at least that and beyond. Happiness throughout life is key and a warm loving environment where they can thrive. I talk to mine every day and although they don't quite talk back ;) they know how loved they are
Oh dear! Quite possibly one of the most ignorant posts I have read.

TPO

Visit site
Oh dear! Quite possibly one of the most ignorant posts I have read.

No, no this poster is quite right. My TB was pts on monday because I didnt do enough to make him happy or loved. I talked to him every day but clearly not in a language that he understood. So really I brought his death, and the death of previous horses, on myself because I just didnt do enough for them...

Last edited:

Wishfilly

Visit site
No, no this poster is quite right. My TB was pts on monday because I didnt do enough to make him happy or loved. I talked to him every day but clearly not in a language that he understood. So really I brought his death, and the death of previous horses, on myself because I just didnt do enough for them...

So sorry to read this- I saw your thread about the cellulitus a little while ago. I don't think anyone could say you didn't do enough for him with everything you tried.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
There's been a little cluster of new members posting innane (but generally harmless until the one on this thread) comments, all replying to each other too. I suspect we're being trolled and that post above was one of the more vile efforts to get a bit of attention. Perhaps it is time schools went back after all.
I think most of them are in some way affiliated with Newton stud as they have all posted on that thread in support of the stud. Possibly the replies on other threads are an attempt to look like legitimate members??

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I think most of them are in some way affiliated with Newton stud as they have all posted on that thread in support of the stud. Possibly the replies on other threads are an attempt to look like legitimate members??

Possible. I hadn't looked at that thread. Just noticed the posting pattern and the join dates.a group had all joined within about 40 minutes of each other. A little odd but fine, whatever, just ignore. But seeing that horrible post about those of us who have lost horses before 23 not loving our horses enough... just thought I'd mention it.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
I had noticed an influx of new members in a very short time frame - it did look rather suspicious but as we now realise banned members etc. are quite free to come and go under any new account and name they like.

Personally I just steer clear of any comments as those 'in the know' as they like to see themselves will only come down on you like a ton of hot sweaty, enraged and self righteous hormonal school girls. As I cant personally sort the wheat from the chaff I ignore all new members until it becomes more obvious they do not have ulterior motives in joining the forum.

throwawayaccount

Visit site
1.. 20 yr old gelding, died due to cauda equina syndrome / melanomas
2.. 29 yr old mare, dropped dead in field, think it was probably just her time.

windand rain

Visit site
7 15.2 tb hit by a car
21 hazels dad died in his stable possibly a heart attack
23 hazels mum pts due to cancer
Hazel is still going strong at 25
28 coloured cob 15hh pts due to old age and catastrophic weight loss
13 fjord arthritis in feet
10 locked stifles that were inoperable
15 ruptured melanoma
only the first tb and Hazel belonged to me so the others are hearsay or ones I have been with at the end

ExRacers

Visit site
Irish bred aged 8 with navicular
TB aged 10 field accident
TB x aged 30 old age
TB ex racer aged 29 old age
TB ex racer aged 23 dropped down dead on a hack ruptured aorta
TB ex racer aged 21 strangulating lipoma inoperable due to severe heart murmur
TB ex racer aged 16 sudden acute renal failure post mortem and toxicology tests found no cause

pistolpete

Visit site
1.19 ISH Navicular 16.2
2.18 ArabxWelsh Colic 13.2
3.21Arabxwelsh Suspected brain tumour..14.2.
4.23 KWPN Twisted gut already had PPID so not surgical option. 15.1
5.27 WelshxCleveland Bay peritonitis 15hh

Supra241

Visit site
I missed my 'dropped dead on a hack'.

This is really interesting folks, keep them coming.

It looks like it might cluster, too, if we get a big enough sample. Any statisticians want to help with the analysis?
the main problem is people being honest and not wanting to skew the figures to.make them look better than they really ard

The Irish Draft 2022

Visit site
If you compare it to people not everyone gets to 80 years old . I personally think the bigger the horse the less likely they are to make it to late 20s . Shetland are probably the longest lived horse breed because they have a easy life and are less likely to injury themselves because of their size . Unfortunately there is people who get really annoyed about the thought of there horse not living to 30 years. Unfortunately it’s life not every horse has the chance of living to a old age same with people loads of people have heart attacks and don’t survive.

skint1

Visit site
PTS
1. 16.2hh TB gelding 16yo- pts- broken leg
2. 16.3 ISH mare- 19yo pts- Equine Atypical Myopathy
3. 15.2 TB gelding 16yo- pts- various arthritic joints, unable to keep field sound
Retired
1. IDx gelding 16hh retired (apart from odd potter) 19 now 21 - potential DDFT injury, various arthritic joints, now happily field sound
2. TB mare 16.2 retired age 11 now 17 behavioural issues, returned from loan homes a few times, now a companion

Pending outcome
1. ID mare 16.3 -13yo (unridden at 12) unsure if will come back to ridden work, just had hocks injected, remains reactive and guarded through back/SI area, seeing physio on Monday but may be referred back to vet

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
27- put to sleep with liver failure.
17- lost to colic four years after surgery.
15- squamous cell carcinoma
13- navicular/DDFT injury/arthritis
10- tracheal collapse, plus made managing EMS virtually impossible.