What is a 'not novice ride'..

aimeejay

Visit site
Okay kinda stupid question. But I was just wondering what would you class as a 'not novice ride'? I would say that I could ride a horse which is a 'not novice ride' but I was thinking what would you say one is?
smile.gif
confused.gif

ncarter

Visit site
I think of a novice ride as a plod that is safe as houses. So theoretically 'not a novice ride' would refer to anything but this! When a horse is advertised as 'not a novice ride' it can mean anything in my experience, but I think people mostly use it if a horse is forward going, a bit quirky, or spooky. But you really need to ask the seller why they wrote it as it can vary! Sorry, not much help I know!

spike123

Visit site
anything young or green,forward going as in very responsive off the leg,sharp as in quick reactions such as spooking and spinning or that will take a hold or buck or any other vice.To me a novice ride is a horse who will put up with an unbalanced rider without reacting, doesn't shoot off like a rocket at a rider with legs that aren't yet staying put and will not rear if said novice rider pulls on their mouth and is also pretty much bombproof.

Cedars

Visit site
Novice ride suggests light hack/easy plod, bombproof.

Not a novice ride suggests anything from a bit lively in certain situations, to rears vertical, throws you off then stomps on your head
wink.gif
xxxx

aimeejay

Visit site
Thats exactly what I wanted to know so yeah you did help!
grin.gif
Ta, just wanted to know whether it can mean anything specifically or can vary from advert to advert- if that makes sense?
smile.gif

mattilda

Visit site
A horse like that would require a rider with a fair bit of experience and stickability. My big lad is definitely not novice to handle or ride. He is spooky and sharp and a very quirky horse to handle full stop. He isn't nasty just pushes his luck in every way.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
IMO a novice ride is a horse that will not get flustered or upset with a bouncy unbalanced rider on board and will stop easily. Also does not buck rear or spook. Not necessarily a plod. I had one in the riding school; lovely mare
smile.gif
NOT a novice ride is a horse that ISN'T like that. Course there are varying degrees of NNR from 'a bit lively' to 'complete nutter'

algy666

www.bebo.com
Mine was sold as "fairly experienced rider required", so pretty much the same as "not novice ride" ... he's a complete lunatic; but my first horse was also "not a novice ride", and he was an absolute sweetheart, just a bit green because he was young.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I would say that my horse is not a novice ride but she is by no means crazy... or I'd be screwed! She is quite green and forward going but not spooky, appears to be very safe in traffic and doesn't run off with you. I would still say that's she not at all a novice ride because she will look at unusual things and need pushing on, she is fast and unsteady in her paces as she's green and she can be fidgety on the ground.

vikkiandmonica

Visit site
I think both my horses are not novice rides - my gelding is very forward going, especially when jumping, and can be spooky, and is basically a big baby
tongue.gif

My mare though, is 100% in every way, for a competent rider, as it if they can control a forward going but safe pony, she is perfect for them. She even looks after some competent, but nervous riders, just wouldn't do very well with someone just off the lead rein etc.

MandyMoo

Visit site
can mean a lot really!

usually it means forward going, a bit quirky. but usually sane.. however sometimes it is meaning ''this horse is absolutley crackers''
smirk.gif
haha xxx

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
IMO a novice ride is a horse that will not get flustered or upset with a bouncy unbalanced rider on board and will stop easily. Also does not buck rear or spook. Not necessarily a plod. I had one in the riding school; lovely mare
smile.gif
NOT a novice ride is a horse that ISN'T like that. Course there are varying degrees of NNR from 'a bit lively' to 'complete nutter'

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto PapaFrita. I think that is very well put.

smile.gif

dressedkez

Visit site
I have a fit TB pointer who is a complete plod, but i would not describe him as a novice ride. With a novice he would fall down on his knees, or plod himself into a standstill. He needs an experienced fairly aggresive rider to get him going forwards. We all hate riding him, but he is a fantastic race horse - so we put up with him!

Kallibear

Visit site
'Not a novice ride' = A horse you wouldn't put a novice on..........!!!!

In my mind it's more about temperament that schooling - a very well school, forwards horse can still be suitable for a novice.

A 'novice's horse' doesn't have to go WELL for the novice, it just has to keep them safe.