What is "Downplating"??? What does it mean?

Coblover63

Visit site
Sorry to be such an ignoramus but I see the word "downplating" a fair bit in relation to trailers, lorries and towing, but I have no idea what it means. Could someone please enlighten me? Many thanks.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Downplating is where you buy a lorry at one weight, and adjust it so it is rated for a lower weight.

For example we had a 12.5 tonne Daf HGV, and we had the option to downplate it to be a 7.5 tonne, so on a normal pre 1997 licence. We did not bother as we both had an HGV, but of we had, I think it would have been an adjustment on the suspension springs and an exam by DVLA. I did not bother as the chassis cab was bigger and heavier than a standard 7.5 tonne, so when downplated the payload would not have been generous.

My current box was a 3.5 tonne, but I had it uprated to 3.9 tonne, which was changing the springs, fitting a limiter and having an exam by DVLA. It meand I can take the kitchen sink with us, and not have to worry about weight, as I only carry one horse. If someone else wanted, if I sold it, they could have it downplated again to 3.5 tonnes.

I don't know about trailers.

LovesCobs

mancunian in Cheshire, actually now in Wales!
Visit site
With trailers it's usually where the owner does not have the licence required to tow. There are trailer weights you can tow without the test (where the whole combination of gross vehicle weight and maximum trailer weight is less than 3.5 tonnes.) you send the trailer plate to the manufacturer to change the maximum weight (lower than it is normally) which allows you to tow (and you stick to it) so if your car gross vehicle weight was 2tonnes then you have 1.5 tonnes left for both trailer and horse. I'm not an expert though Rog may need to correct me :)

ROG

Visit site
Trailer down plating is only needed to be done to comply with B licence towing laws or for commercial reasons to be outside the operator licence and EU tacho reg laws

To down plate a trailer under 3500 kg plated MAM the manufacturer of that trailer must be contacted

Example for B licence towing of a horse trailer where the max legal is a total MAM of the plated weights of 3500 kg
Vehicle GVW (MAM) 2200 kg
Trailer MAM 1700 kg
At this point the total MAM is 3900 so 400 over the limit of 3500 for B licence towing
After contact with the trailer manufacturer the 1700 is reduced to 1300
The total MAM is now 3500
The empty weight of the trailer remains the same and in this example that is 700 kg

Plated at its original 1700 the trailer could be loaded with 1000 but down plated to 1300 the trailer load is reduced to a max of 600