What is Everyone Paying for big Bale Haylage

Calico1

Visit site
Well we are running out of 4ft bales of haylage and I've been ringing around to find that it's in short supply around here. We were paying £35 per bale but the cheapest I can find delivered is £50 per bale which seems extortionate. what is everyone else paying at the moment and areas? Thanks

GTRJazz

Visit site
The Mrs spent £55 on the same size haylage delivered which I thought was daft esp as I have my own field and the hay off that costs me £1 a bale.

Equi

Visit site
Depends on how many you want delivered. It costs less to get more of them. It doesnt pay someone to haul one bale for miles.

_GG_

Visit site
I am just outside Gloucester and if I want haylage instead of our own hay, I pay £25 for a 4ft (actually more like 5ft) bale. Very good quality as well.

We've discussed this between me and Dan as he really suffers with hay and given that we're having our first baby in June/July, Dan has said he'll be a lot more helpful with the horses through the winter. He has zero reaction when handling haylage so spoke to out local farmer about it and it will cost us between £6 and £7 per bale to have it made. That's double the cost of having 7ft hay bales made, but it's more sellable and as we always get far more than we can use, that's important and as it's still from our own grass, I'm really looking forward to having it done.

I think I'd choke on my own tongue at paying £55 for one bale!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
£30 for minimum 150kg, usually heavier, delivered in any quantity from east Cheshire if close to a normal run. Established crop not new ley, low proportion of ryegrass.

Last edited:

popsdosh

Visit site
I am just outside Gloucester and if I want haylage instead of our own hay, I pay £25 for a 4ft (actually more like 5ft) bale. Very good quality as well.

We've discussed this between me and Dan as he really suffers with hay and given that we're having our first baby in June/July, Dan has said he'll be a lot more helpful with the horses through the winter. He has zero reaction when handling haylage so spoke to out local farmer about it and it will cost us between £6 and £7 per bale to have it made. That's double the cost of having 7ft hay bales made, but it's more sellable and as we always get far more than we can use, that's important and as it's still from our own grass, I'm really looking forward to having it done.

I think I'd choke on my own tongue at paying £55 for one bale!

They must have cut you a deal as it costs around £8-10 to bale and wrap haylage bales depending on amount of wrap.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
£35 delivered, one or two bales weekly. He puts us in with other customers nearby to keep his delivery costs down but is always very obliging if a bale doesn't last as long as we expected for some reason.

monte1

Visit site
£20 a bale, 4-ft ish bales , lovely homegrown stuff at the yard I am on- we are very lucky!
they also do small bale haylage for same price but i can't use it fast enough!

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
Hmm our's is looking expensive then! £40 delivered :(, farmer next door is £35 for questionable quality and local feed merchant is charging £45 I think...

Damnation

Visit site
£25 a bale inc. delivery.

The guy is a farmer in the village and my YO has done business with him for 20 years so keeps his prices fair and doesn't charge delivery, but then we must make him over £200 a month during winter! #HungryHippos

Bright_Spark

Visit site
Used to pay £37.50 for 4ft bales. Delivery for two bales would be free if on a certain day. Hampshire/ Berkshire border.

Only do not buy it now as it's included in livery at current yard.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
£25-30 for 150kg Square bale delivered in quantity.
£42-48 for 300kg Square bale, again in quantity.
Price is dependent on type of haylage, pure Timothy and premium rye being the dearest.
South East.

Steerpike

Visit site
£40 for a 6 string seed haylage or £35 for 6 string meadow haylage, I buy 10 at a time and delivery is included, I'm in the Cotswolds.

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
We have to buy all straw and hayledge from YO, she charges £35 large straw & £45 large hayledge... absolutely extortionate if you ask me!!
Wales area