What is everyones views on gag bits??

minigal

Visit site
I just bought a little turbo cob, whizzy, strong and forward going as anything was ex speed SJ. Was ridden in a variety of Pelhams, waterfords gags on 3rd hole, grackle noseband and martingale. I went with my gut and took it all off. Myler comfort snaffle and loose drop noseband. He is like different horse. Relaxed, happy nose off chest etc.

Showstyle

Visit site
What do people think about this gag?

http://www.thehorsebitshop.co.uk/product.php?xProd=188&xSec=20

My horse was xc schooled in it today (by a professional) and it made all the difference, he was jumping with a better rounder shape and was listening to adjustments coming into fences.

I used to jump my lad in this, intially, he would take a lot of leg to work into it properly as it was the strongest bit he had ridden in but then worked lovely in it. However one thing I have most definitely found with my horse is that spend too long on any one bit and he completely lacks respect for it, he is an ox. I now regularly swap between a polo gag (the one with the running cheekpieces through it) a double bridle and the above bit. I'm sick to death of hearing people who have never ridden my horse or have taught me tell me I'm over bitting. Any lessons ive had with dressage, jumping and show trainers and all encouraged me to bit heavier and use a softer hand.IMO it's a lot kinder to use a bit the horse will definitely respect and that you can sit easy on and soften and actually work the horse rather than kick and pull and fight for an hour in a snaffle and get nowhere. A quick sharp reminder and relax is a lot better than a constant struggle. Since changing to the over bits our riding has progressed a lot, I'm able to focus on myself and collection and extension is now so much easier to achieve.

twiggy2

Visit site
We are using a Cheltenham gag on our very strong Section A and the effect has been dramatic-great brakes, quieter head carriage.

hope it is not young kids riding the pony-

the rider has to have independent hands to ride in a gag especially a cheltenham gag and although i think they have a place i feel they are currently fashionable and are chucked on to give brakes instead of basic schooling being addressed. they can be a very harsh bit even when the rider does not want them to be.

i have seen a fair few mouths bleeding and ending up very hard from use of gags especially the cheltenham

peaceandquiet1

Visit site
The rider was having to fight the pony in the snaffle and now in this gag the pony stops at a light touch. The pony is 24 and a very strong ex games pony and I am much happier watching her ride with control rather than having to use excessive rein aids. On the flat the pony will go nicely in a snaffle but am afraid for jumping it is insufficient. I can assure you she has never had a bleeding mouth.

huskydamage

Visit site
I used a dutch gag on my pony but I only bought it as we were going hunting for the first time. I used it with two reins, I ride on the snaffle bit and only use the gag rein in fast canter or gallop if she takes off. I tried it out on a hack I could stop OK on the second ring but not as good as I'd hoped. So for hunting I used the third ring and on the day I had absolutely no brakes whatsoever !
I usually ride in a French link snaffle but have recently started hacking out in hackamore as my pony hates her bit and never really listens to 'stop' anyway. I wouldnt say it has any less brakes than me using a bit, its the same for me. But the gag I used hunting did sweet F A lol.

AshTay

Visit site
My old pony came to me with a dutch gag (3 ring). I put two reins on it and it was great because I could ride him snaffle-style but if he got strong or stupid I could use the second rein to bring him back. We did a lot of schooling and I eventually went to a hanging cheek (wanted something dressage legal). I ride a stallion in a rugby pelham with 2 reins and same thing - he can be an angel but if he starts to get daft then I can keep control. Don't want to be changing bits/rings.

My mare is in a normal snaffle and for a long time it felt wrong riding with just one rein, lol!

mega spoilt ponies

Visit site
Personally I don't like gaggs at all, I have never seen anything go better in a gagg than it does in something else. The action just doesn't sit very well with me. If you need a 'stronger' bit I would be more inclined to go with a kimblewick, or pelham with double reins