What is it really like in Carmarthenshire?

Patchworkpony

Visit site
Has anyone moved from England to Carmarthenshire? If so I would love some info. What's the riding like? Is it as wet as people say? Is it difficult to fit in - heard reports that the Welsh don't like the English moving there. I like the Welsh as I used to show Welsh cobs but am nervous about living with them. This said property in SW Wales is SO much cheaper than the West Country.

Any info - good or bad - would be very welcome. Thanks.

Archiepoo

Visit site
lol speaking as an english person living in S Wales, its a lot better than it used to be! ,what part are you going to? yes property is much cheaper than england. yes it is as wet as youve heard-last week was the first dry week i think weve had with all summer! riding is good if youve got transport to beaches etc, some areas are good for miles of mountain rides but it depends on the area. the further west you go its mostly farmland so your stuck on roads a lot more

bryngelenponies

www.biopharm-leeches.com
The good news is that it's not as bad as you've heard but the bad news is that it's probably even worse! Seriously there is a lot of rain- but when it's nice it is so beautiful. It isn't bad living in Carms being English- it gets a whole lot worse the further into mid-Wales you get. There are great places to ride- you just need to find them! Overall I think it's a lovely place to live :)

Finlib

Visit site
We are in Pembrokeshire( they called it little England!) It is the neighbouring county to Carmarthanshire.
The riding is good we are in the Preselli hills.Lots of short and long rides
The beaches are very good and a short box drive away.
We moved here 2 years ago have found everyone really welcoming.Lovely little village about 2 miles away with a village hall and lots going on.
Great farrier really hepful horse vet no problem with being 'english ' at all (though hubbies parents were Welsh both deceased now)
Lovely neighbouring farmer makes all our hay for us and really helpful doing stuff around the farm for us.
Several hunts the Tiviside is really friendly plus some riding clubs if you are interested in that http://carmsriders.b1.jcink.com/is a Carmarthanshire riders group.
Some nice dog friendly pubs nearby and dogwalkinigtodiefor we can walk for 2 hours and not meet anyone of go near a road.
We haven't found it particulary wet here but the weather is different from one mountain to the next!
We love it here.

Enfys

Visit site
Ask Sarah Rees, Mrrogers, Box of Frogs, Aregona (they all live within a few miles of each other) and a whole heap more ;)

It is great, I lived near Ammanford for 9 years which is the longest I have actually lived anywhere, ever:) I loved our little village, mountains were to the back, front and sides, good riding, Pony Clubs, Riding Clubs, Hunts loads of horse stuff to do, horses stuffed in every corner. I never felt alienated because I was not Welsh, if anyone was rude they did it to my face but in Welsh so I couldn't understand what they were saying anyway - for the first few years anyway;) I am a "Home is where I hang my hat" kind of person, in Wales, all things Welsh were good.

6 years on and I still think of Wales as home more than anywhere else, and miss the valley and my friends there.

Is property still cheap there? Probably cheaper than in places in England, I haven't set foot in England for more than 15 years now :eek: I know when we sold our house we made over 100K on it, but it was dirt cheap to start with.

Yes it rains, but then so does anywhere with hills.

Last edited:

MrsElle

Visit site
I live in North Wales, which is predominately Welsh speaking.

I love it here. The people are very friendly and welcoming. When we go in our local the blokes round the bar will stop speaking Welsh while we are there and talk to each other (and us) in English.

I had been told some real horror stories of Welsh treatment of English incomers before we moved here, but the people here couldn't have been friendlier. Might help that we have tried to learn Welsh and integrate though.

hcm88

Visit site
I live in England but have a second home in Pembrokeshire so know a bit about Carmarthenshire. Parts of the county are in the middle of nowhere, hence the cheap prices. This may link to the very welsh bit! Fair few horsey properties etc so I think the horsey community is good, it is all over SW Wales!

It rains A LOT in west Wales, there's no doubt about that. And when it rains it really rains! But it's really fantastic when the weather is good, the coast is fabulous. No idea about fitting in as an English person as Pembrokeshire is the opposite, many people are English and so many tourists in summer.

You can get some really bargain properties though, e.g last year on the market was a very impressive Georgian house with stables, ménage etc for 300k!

Missmac

Visit site
Im born and bred Welsh and contrary to rumours we dont hate all English!
Some of my best friends are English but have moved to Wales.

I think as long as you are pleasant and make am effort to immerse yourself into your new community you will be made to feel welcome but i think that is true whatever your nationality and wherever you are moving to!!

navaho

Visit site
Ive lived in Ceredigion since i was 13, i love it here, its home :)
The Welsh as a rule are lovely, make an effort to be friendly & fit in & be prepared for everyone knowing everything about you & what you do before you've even done it lol!
It is wet here, but what we lack in sun we make up for in other ways. The horsey side of life is pretty good, usually plenty of shows, fun rides & hunts to keep you occupied all year round.