What is it with my horses at the moment!?

0ldmare

Visit site
You know that old joke of 'how many x's does it take to change a lightbulb?'. Well I have a new one 'How many horses does it take to have a rideable one?'

I am on hols at the moment so was hoping to do a bit more over the next few days, but....

I posted yesterday about my young mare who was very depressed, off her food etc (just as an aside she is also only just finished getting over an inflamed tendon sheath caused by a kick). Well she is definitely on the mend which is great, but not rideable just yet
frown.gif

Sooo, I thought I would ride my middle aged mare today and she is lame
shocked.gif

My third nag is a LOU horse who is probably the most rideable one of the lot!!

Actually, can you give me your thoughts on my new lame one? Its her near fore and there is no heat or swelling anywhere in the leg at all. There is also no heat in her foot and she was shod not long ago. The lameness is not obvious in walk at all and in trot is only really noticeable when I am rising on one diagonal, but she is definitely lame... I cant think where the problem is
confused.gif

Feel like trading the lot of them in for a push bike. Any takers? Three useless nags going very very cheap
mad.gif

kate081

Visit site
sounds like an abscess. Tend to happen within 10 days of being shod apparently. I'd check the sole for sore spots. This weather has caused lots of horses to have abscesses this year.

It's always the way - my 'posh' horse is a lot less useful than the horse i bought as her companion!!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
My mare has odd action in one front leg in trot when she has put weight on (and it doesn't need to be much) as she claims her saddle pinches then. Could yours be something similar if it is only under saddle?

Ravenwood

Visit site
Oh dear - poor you - it never rains but it pours!

I agree with the abcess theory and the fact that she has been shod recently rings bells - maybe worth getting the farrier out again.

Hope everythings turns out alright
grin.gif