what is it with prospective buyers????

_daisy_

Visit site
Bit of a grumble. Im not a fan of selling horses but needs must at the moment.
1 of my mares is up for sale. Shes sensible but I wouldnt say she was a novice ride. Ive had 2 prospective buyers. Both agreed to buy her then text the following day/days when suposed to be arranging to collect but actually backing out of the sale.
Shes a big 17.2hh warmblood mare who would turn her hoof to anything whether it be pure dressage, hunter, SJer eventer or showing etc.
The first girl to agree the sale had no confidence but rode my mare before her friend did. She even jumped her and hacked her out (hadnt done this in months because of her nerves) She loved my mare at how she looked after her and gave her confidence. Her reason for backing out of the sale was she was too big - though ive found out shes tried more 17.2hhs since and agreed another sale in 1.
The other agreed sale was for an allrounder to do everything. They text to say they thought shed prefer a dressage or hunting home and what they wanted was a showjumper/eventer and go straight out.

What is it with my mare or should that be buyers? Are there any genuine buyers out there that arent going to mess me and my mare around?
I would never agree a sale then back out? Why not just say no at the time of trying rather than doing scholing jumping and hacking her then texting days later.

The only thing I can think of is that its doing my mare good as shes having different riders and shes proving how much of a good horse she is

Anyone else finding the same problem with prospective buyers?

rowan666

Visit site
I had the exact same thing but when I was looking to loan out one of mine! The second time waster had brought her whole family and they all rode him!!, contacted me the next day after viewing saying they 10000% wanted him take the add down, contract written up and transport arranged and at quarter to ten the nite before he was due to go they txt me saying shift pattern at work suddenly changed and they couldnt take him!!..... I honestly think these people just come for a free ride or are just complete dreamers!!

sherry90

Visit site
Keep her till end of this year :) I'd snap her up and most certainly would not back out she sounds what I'll be looking for after I graduate!
In answer to your OP, as frustrating as it is, like you say, it gives your mare a chance to prove how versatile she is to riders. I would never mess someone about who I had agreed a purchase with. Like you say, if they weren't sure, surely making you aware of that is perfectly understandable. Aylett everyone knows where they stand. For all they know you could have taken ads down and had to re-advertise at your cost, what an inconvenience. I am sure also, it would play with your emotions :( not something I'd do to someone!

_daisy_

Visit site
Rowan im so glad we never agreed a day or i wouldve been fuming. Cant believe you got so far down the line with the loan. I think its a disgrace what some buyers do.

_daisy_

Visit site
Sherry shame you arent wanting one now. I really need her gone before they go out for the spring. Though i wont just sell her to anyone everyone is checked out before they come. She doesnt cost me anything to keep luckily as I have my own place so if when you cone to start looking drop me a line.
Youre right though, I couldve removed any adverts or told others shed sold. Im just hoping the guy whos booked to come on Saturday isnt another time waster

russianhorse

Visit site
My friend has had this happen 3 times so far - loved the hairy boy, definitely wanted to buy, arranged a date and time etc etc, then night before changed their mInd for various silly reasons. My friend then had to pull out of going to a cheaper yard, so got an earful from the YO

Friend then loaned out hairy lad with a contract for a year, but after 2 weeks he was returned because she realised he was too small :/ Again friend lost out to another cheaper yard who got irate for being messed around :(

Luckily for hairy lad, I've decided to make him mine :D

Lots of timewasters at the minute I think :(

Sprig

Visit site
Insist on a decent cash deposit once they decide she is for them. That way you will find out if they are serious on the day.

_daisy_

Visit site
Russianhorse thats awful for your friend being messed around and loosing out on yards but very good fantastic news that youve now made him yours.
Just hope the right person comes along soon

_daisy_

Visit site
Sprig - thats where the problemies they all go away then ring up agreeing the sale so hence no deposit taken but if someone takes us up there and then ill be wanting a deposit and hopefully 10%

Sprig

Visit site
I would ask for a bank transfer within 24 hours then. Any serious buyer would not have a problem with that as it ensures that you are not going to sell the horse to anyone else. I hate selling horses, it is a nightmare isn't it.