What is it with rescue?

CrazyMare

Visit site
The breed specific kennels where mine came from sent us off to look at all the greyhounds, read their individual comment cards then come back to the office to tell them which we'd like to meet in the specially set up "sitting room" for cuddles and fuss.

We liked the look of two specifically so they were brought out to meet them. As we'd already had a home check, she came home that day. We signed the paperwork and were told that she was technically on foster to us, do could come back any day unless we phoned to say we wanted to adopt. We rang two days later to advise that she'd never be going back!!!!

Seems not all places are as straightforward to deal with!!!

paddy555

Visit site
It shouldn't be a problem for any prospective adopter to look at photos and discuss dogs characteristics/what they are wanting then meet those dogs that might fit rather than a 'scan' of the whole kennels disrupting all the dogs. It makes far more sense for a sutiable dog to be brought out of the kennels to see the adopters than adopters taken into the kennels -

yes I get that and would have been happy. In our case we asked if we could see the dogs. No, we had to go to the office and look at pics. Can you direct us to the office, over there. Walked in and explained, was pointed to a table and folder and told to look.

The pics were about 1.5 inches x 1.5 inches, and blurred. They did not show the dogs in any way you could relate to. No one asked us what sort of dog we were looking for, what sort of home we could offer. Absolutely zilch. No write up's about the dogs. No background. Quite frankly no one was interested in us or rehoming. No one even spoke to us and it was in their advertised opening hours

There were a couple of husky types available. They were a sort I would have considered. Now how much better it would have been someone had gone through them with us, told us about the huskies, explained those dog's problems and what they were looking for. We could have told them we had land for exercise, time and experience with difficult dogs. Maybe then we could have seen them and seen how we all reacted to one another. to my mind husky types in shelters are there because they have problems. Maybe we would have been suitable and found one dog a home, maybe not. We will never know.

This contrasted with our visit to a cat shelter ten years ago. We needed a cat. We all discussed it in detail. Shelter very helpful. They had a cat with problems. We were shown it, not allowed to handle it, it had already put one of their staff in A & E but everything was explained to us. Cat was hugely stressed and frantic but even so they considered a bit more stressing a good compromise for a successful outcome. After a lot more discussion it seemed we could provide their cat with what it needed. Home checked and cat arrived a couple of days later. Oh, and he is still here. When we need another we will go back to them in view of our excellent experience. So they will find a home for another cat or two in the future.

dozzie

Visit site
No, I looked into rehoming from rescues about a year ago and, one breed rescue and two 'basically importing European dogs for a profit' rescue aside I found them incredibly closed minded about rehoming to someone with a job. So, relatively recent and extensive (I spoke to a few places as needed a child-friendly dog and those are hard to come by) experience actually.

There were plenty of people horrified at the idea of a home with a (part-time and regularly from-home) working professional. Similarly they expected a 'secure fenced garden' so a shared court yard garden (with designated grassed dog area etc) was not considered appropriate. Therefore at least one rescue dog will have been needlessly PTS. And I rehomed privately.

Numerous stories on here about very capable and experienced homes with e.g. people not being permitted to rehome if they have any entire animals on the premesis etc. Which might be where the breeder has fallen foul of the 'computer says no' regulations...

ETA: I did contact the RSPCA about the dog with cropped ears and they were helpful and informative. I just wouldn't bother trying to rehome anything from them myself until I retire though!

Then you will be too old.

Kaylum

Visit site
I rehomed a lovely little terrier at the beginning of the year from the Blue Cross (been looking for a while), we work full time and are very experienced and they said we asked all the right questions. Do you see we were asking the questions not the other way round for a start off. A few people had been interested in her but not suitable and we had originally gone to look at a different dog but he was too big for us. We could also register our interest online and then they email back with appointment time suggestions. Have nothing but praise for them.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
It's a shame when rescues all get tarred with the same brush. I work professionally for a large rescue, & also voluntarily for a much smaller breed rescue. The first thing i ask when someone comes to me with a dog to rehome is if they've been in touch with the breeder. Sometimes they don't want to, perhaps due to experiences they've had, & on occasion, i've had breeders come to me for help to rehome. I never use any sort of preconceived checklist for potential homes - i look at each case on it's own individual merits & circumstances & assess it accordingly (eg. people living in flats who can still offer high energy dogs great homes).

P.S The description of typical rescue volunteers made me laugh - i have to say, i am certainly "none of the above".