What is it with Welsh Cobs

cobden99

Visit site
.. are they born with a Sherman Tank gene ????
blush.gif
frown.gif

Left mine in last night as I wanted to ride this morning

When I got outside this morning, there was a cob at the gate, and I thought Gosh, Rainbow is growing (Sec C - both chestnut with white faces and I didnt have my contact lenses in
blush.gif
smile.gif
). I then realised that no, it was in fact the Sec D. He had walked through the stable door taking off a bolt and the kick catch at the bottom. Not a mark on him luckily. GRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

RachelB

Visit site
eek! My Welshie once walked straight through a metal five-bar gate. She would have been fine had the gate been attached to a fence properly, but it wasn't (it was roped to the fence posts instead of hung) and it swung to the ground, trapping her leg, and making contact with the electrified fence at the same time. To cut a long story short, my pony ended up slicing the skin off the front of one of her cannon bones.
Damn tank ponies!!

Skhosu

Visit site
eek! our mare once managed to pull her stable door into her stable (it was hinges set in concrete!) from inside the stable, all I heard was a loud bang.

cobden99

Visit site
But why do they do it ?? Ive had lots of horses but they do seem to be the only breed that are convinced they can destroy anything in their path
confused.gif
grin.gif

tractorgirl

Visit site
Mine destroyed an entire breeze block wall at the back of his stable. Found it in the morning happily eating his hay admidst the rubble. And not a mark on him!

ajones

Visit site
think the welshies are slightly mad my cob x younster is a nightmare with electric fencing last attempt was with a tractor Battery still didn't stop him and resulted in the big horse whos irish ripping his new rug on the barbed wire ( which the electric fence was stopping them getting too) grr

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Mine is the same, he's Welsh D x TB but defo has the Welsh cob destructive gene, when he isn't jumping out of his field or pushing the fence down he too has the talent for taking stable doors off. I now have fitted a slip rail on to the inside of the door which is about four inches above the height of the stable door and so just that bit too high for him to get his shoulder against to push his way out. In his field he has little regard for electric fencing unless it is on and I have found him all tangled up in it and grazing oblivously! Thankfully he doesn't panic. He also got his foot caught in some stock fencing the last time he escaped and managed to escape unharmed save for pulling his shoe off. Which he did very cleanly and left it with all its nails still in, unbent. Any other horse would have sliced up their tendons or something horrific.
His latest foray, was dumping me out hacking on my own then heading back to his field across a busy main road. I was shocked and expected the worse as I limped to catch up with him and saw him checking both ways before doing his best Welsh cob stallion impression, trotting head and tail up across the road. I hope he doesn't do that too often.

cobden99

Visit site
I wonder if they are related ?
smile.gif
Mine is now barefoot as the trauma of cutting him out of stock fencing when he got his shoes stuck became too much for me. He is also impervious to electric fencing - he knows when he has a thick rug on the zap will be minimal, if at all ! Coming off him out hacking is my worst nightmare because Im convinced he will go home and he would have to cross a very busy main road - doesnt bear thinking about really
frown.gif

I have thought about the slip rail idea above the gate so he cant get his full weight on to it; the only thing that puts me off is the entrance is 6 foot wide, so Im worried that if he leans against that length of rail, even just with his neck, he may snap it !
Damn Tank Boy !

pocket

Visit site
Yes 100% sure its in the gene's, my old welsh pony was a git, riding/in hand any time really. If he didn't want to do something the neck would set and that was it, you had lost what ever battle you was trying to overcome
grin.gif

Still the best ponies in the world tho
wink.gif

Natch

Visit site
F hooked the rope from his headcollar around his stable door and lifted it off the hinges - we watched it! little swine, it was so hard to get back on - too heavy for us!

pottamus

Visit site
Mine has not been too bad really, worst he has done is once when rubbing his huge arse on the inside of his stable he must have used the door side and took the front trim and bolt off the door. So I found him happily eating in his field the next morning instead of in his stable and a door hanging off...my OH was none to pleased!

cobden99

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
If he didn't want to do something the neck would set and that was it, you had lost what ever battle you was trying to overcome
grin.gif

Still the best ponies in the world tho
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep that was mine in the car park at the dressage last month, just set his neck and bogged off to eat grass - so embarrassing
blush.gif

Wouldnt swap him though
grin.gif

Three

Visit site
Mine too! Welsh cob x appaloosa. At 3 he argued with the full sized metal field gate; it didn't stand a chance (poor gate), flat on the floor whilst he continued through.

And if he doesn't want to go forward... we don't! Sets neck and that's that. Although he'll then go backwards - dead straight line through anything in his path.

Although the only time (so far) he's escaped from his stable he appears to have let himself out. Found on the yard at 6am peacefully eating everyone else's breakfast - he'd had at least ten plus whatever he could find in bins etc. Spent that day in his stable looking like Mr Creosote ('I couldn't eat another thing') but luckily no colic. Digestion of a tank too!
smile.gif

rara007

Visit site
My welsh cob is a dream! Never bargy, very obediant on the ground and riding- really he is!

Pip is 1/2 welsh cob, and he headbuts all he can, and at his first show pulled a post and rail fance down. He stable looks pretty battered too!

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Yours barges? Mine just jumps things. He's only 13.3 and can jump a sheep hurdle from a standstill. Given a run up he'll happily pop over 5 bar gates, or the railway crossing barriers
blush.gif
Electric fencing he sort of shimmies under - unless you make it impossible by having so many strands all criss crossed together - and then he jumps out over that. If you put up two fences 5' apart he will usually stay in as he can't make the distance - further apart than that and he'll jump in and land sideways between them and then take a run up along and jump the second fence.

cobden99

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yours barges? Mine just jumps things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah well thats a whole different issue
smile.gif

My Sec C jumps out - its just the Sec D who barges
crazy.gif

Not very often luckily - just every now and again - Ping ! from a standstill and she is on the other side of the fence !

Im hoping she will do workers
grin.gif

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
My boy is by Sixoaks Prince David from the Nebo Black Magic line. He is a sweetheart, but even Monty Roberts said he was very wilful when I took him to a demo last year. I didn't think he was that bad but then I'm clouded in my judgement of him as he's my baby! And yes the thought of him crossing that road again on his own leaves me shuddering at the thought. He managed it this time but maybe not next time.
crazy.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
One of my Sec D's jumps anything in her path, but my new baby is a thug, and I hate putting her in my one horse size stable as she's broken out of it twice.

Mind you, my shetland pony is the thug of all thugs. He's gone through many stables doors, under, over and through fences, he's an absolute sod.

MagicMelon

Visit site
He he, sounds like something my Welshie would. He sometimes tries to use his weight to get through whatever is in his way! They are very opinionated and cant understand WHY they arent allowed to do some things! Ive decided mine ignores me most of the time simply because he was born in Wales and I cant speak Welsh...! :p