What is so nice about....

rrose

Visit site
Seeing a fox being shot or attacked by a hound after it has been chased?

i am neither an anti or for hunting.

just wondered what you all think of the question?

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
I'd better get in quick before the other users yell at you and scare you away! I'm a great believer in uninformed girl who doesn't ask questions stay uninformed...school of thought!

Firstly I can only speak for the hunting side of fox control. You have to understand the purpose of fox hunting. This is to control the fox numbers at a sustainable level as foxes no longer have a top predator since man in his wisdom made bear and wolf extinct in the UK.

Starting from this basic premise you then have to understand how a hunt works or should I say used to work pre-ban The hounds would pick up the scent in a wood say, the fox would have departed the covert with the hounds on the trail, the hunt staff would be somewhere behind the hounds. A field or more behind come the mounted field and then the foot followers and car followers taking less direct routes.

The fox and the hounds can wriggle through tiny gaps and so they are far away from the mounted fieldwho have to negotiate routes round the obstacles. Thus by the time the kill was made the chances of any of them seeing it are slim to zero. Although the one or 2 kills I saw pre-ban were over in 30 seconds.

So if it isn't the enjoyment of the kill that people go hunting for, why on earth do they go hunting? There are many reasons - here are some of mine - I hunt on a bike so I enjoy the physical challenge of cycling hard across country, I love seeing the hounds work. Others who ride enjoy going across new terrain that isn't open to them for hacking, they enjoy the safe cross country jumps that they can tackle. Others find they enjoy the social activities associated with hunting.

Why not come out for yourself and see what happens? Your local hunt might well be hosting a newcomers day or they can arrange a day for you.

Any other questions or you want some clarification on what I wrote just shout.

Claire xxx

soggy

Visit site
As far as seeing one shot. Its seeing the job done correctly.

As far as hunting is concerned its the same. but tempered with the fact that its selective where as shooting is not.

The death of any animal has no interest for me its the skill, expertise, and knowledge that brings enjoyment.

I did however enjoy seeing the fox that was killimg my ducks shot dead last month.

rrose

Visit site
doesnt it make you feel sick though, the way the fox is killed by a pack of dogs, just imagine the pain!! :shocked:

Carreg - would you like to be killed in that way?! :mad:

rrose

Visit site
i dont think it is nice, i meant to all fox hunting people... why do you like seeing a fox being killed, not that it is nice?! ummm hard to explain sorry if i confused you!

i think it is sick

Chestnut_filly12

www.x-mrsnaildudeman-x.piczo.com
I dont actually hunt - just support it so I've never seen a fox actually die or be shot.

Heres a thought - shouldnt Blair be slightly more concerned about Iraq and war than countryside issues that dont directly effect (or is affect) him or most "townies" such as Foxhunting?

Also - should "townies" be entitled to say their opinion about matters not concerning themselves?

(IM not saying they have no entitlement, just wondering what everyone though!)

RunToEarth

Visit site
Ok. 1) I dont think anybody who hunts fox/mink/hare etc has ever done it motivated on the basis that they find it 'nice'.
2) Tony blair has done an excellent job in confusing a nation with the hunting act. It cant be policed, it cant be inforced, therefor it cant work.
So your post is asking the question, why is it nice to kill things?

MillerGD

New User
Visit site
"Heres a thought - shouldnt Blair be slightly more concerned about Iraq and war than countryside issues that dont directly effect (or is affect) him or most "townies" such as Foxhunting?"

But Blair wasn't even concerned with the hunting debate. He didn't even vote on it!

"Also - should "townies" be entitled to say their opinion about matters not concerning themselves?"

But the majority of the countryside is also against hunting. Speaking as a born and bred townie, who is against fox hunting, I don't see why the landed gentry should have the monoply on British wildlife.

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
Did you actually read what I took the effort to type? My point was that hunting people rarely see the kill.
The kills that I have seen are quick, 30 seconds was a rough estimate - imagine how much pain the fox that is shot by a bodged aim and spends the next weeks dying slowly and painfully from gangrene, imagine the pain of a fox hit by a car who crawls away to die of internal bleeding, imagine the pain of a trapped fox, imagine the pain of a poisoned fox or a gassed fox. Then think about hunting, I know which method I'd choose!

wurzel

Visit site
"But the majority of the countryside is also against hunting."

Of course they are !!!

That is why there is no hunting country left !!! It is obvious !!

"Speaking as a born and bred townie, who is against fox hunting, I don't see why the landed gentry should have the monoply on British wildlife."

You don't see it because it is a fallacy. I have no title, but I own land.

You are confused !!

Buy some land then you will have your own wildlife.

Ereiam_jh

Visit site
"would you like to be killed in that way?"

I find it hard to think of a way that I'd like to be killed.

However if there were not only no available medical care and also no hope whatsoever of any help and support from anyone else once I got old and ill then I'd rather have a quick death than one that took maybe weeks as I got slowly more and more ill.

If people were out to get me then I'd also prefer that they used a method that gave me a good chance of survival providing that I was young and fit to one that killed indiscriminately such as shooting and gassing.

I'd also prefer one that had very little chance of wounding me and therefore leading to a far slower and more painful death.

If people were out to get you would you prefer to be given the chance to escape from them by running away?

I'd rather forty people spend all day killing one fox than each of those people go out and use a more 'efficient' methoid and kill a fox each.

becky17

Visit site
well wats nice about foxes killing lots of chickens then nt even eating them......?? chickens at my yard get attcked by foxes n nt even eaten!!!