What is the best way to pts?

ClaireM4

Visit site
Can anyone please explain to me how the 2 forms of equine euthanasia work? I’ve never been through this before, but will have to I think imminently with my mother in law’s pony.
is it better to have the vet or quicker and less traumatic with the huntsman?

paddi22

Visit site
I would usually go with huntsman. I had a situation here with an older pony that the injection didn't go through the bloodstream quick enough and it was fairly horrific to watch. now with any of the older horses I would never let them near an injection again. he huntsman is so quick.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I think this is a very personal decision and tbh for the most part both are as good as each other. Sorry you are facing this decision.

I would personally choose to have a horse shot if possible but I am not put off by the idea and I prefer the instantaneous nature of it. But I have seen off several horses via injection and some owners find it a bit easier to deal with as it seems less brutal. whoever you call out will tell you what to do - generally they will take care of it all and ask you to remain at a distance for safety, or leave if you prefer.

If you have the hunt can they also remove the body for you? because that may be a consideration. If you have the vet out you will need to find someone else to take the pony away.

In terms of how - I have found that for a horse to be shot you hand over to the person and they will quickly and quietly shoot the horse. It will drop to the ground immediately, usually still with a mouth full of whatever treat it has been eating. Sometimes there is a fair quantity of blood.

Vets generally will sedate the horse first and then as the main injection goes in you will be asked to move away as they sometimes fall down slowly and need to be guided to go in the correct direction.
In both cases they often twitch or groan a bit as the reflexes will continue after the horse is gone.

If you are attached to the pony or a sensitive person I would suggest leaving before the body is collected as it is not very dignified to watch.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Milliepops has covered it very well OP.

To add ref costs, if knackerman or hunt to shoot, you will be paying approx (location dependent) between 150 and 250 for despatch and removal, same cost here for removal only.

If vet for injection, likely 250 to 350 for despatch only. So you'd need to add on removal costs and ensure you have booked the collector.
More on top if you want cremation and/or if you want ashes back.

Costs vary across the country, I have just given ball park figures based on my location.

Sorry you have to think about this but you are doing well yto be prepared x

Edited to add, you will read anecdotes from people as to which method they prefer or a pts that wasnt pleasant. Remember that there is a risk with anything to do with animals but unusual events are very very rare.

Last edited:

PSD

Visit site
I had my old rescue cob shot by the hunt last year because I couldn’t afford the cost of the vet and disposal at the time. It was a lot better than I expected, thoroughly professional the whole time. I walked him to the indoor, said my goodbyes and that was that. He was shot and taken in a matter of 10 minutes it all happened very quickly.

However I’m having my mare pts this Friday by the vet, more so because I want her ashes at home with me as I’ve owned her all her life. I’ve never used the vet before so I’m not sure if it’s “better” or not, I’ll soon be able to tell you I guess. It’s all dependent on the person I think, shooting is quicker for the horse but more difficult for us

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I have to say that when having to have my retired horse pts just before Christmas, having someone who could shoot and remove was a consideration for me. My vet could have shot or injected as he's experienced however I preferred not have to coordinate two people and maybe have the body there while waiting for collection. I didn't want the ashes back but I could have done if I wanted.

Dyllymoo

Visit site
MP has basically covered it for me.

I had both of mine PTS via injection, and had the crematorium there (they are a fantastic company who deal with the vets regularly and are extremely respectful - originally I asked if they could come 30 mins after D was PTS as I wanted to be with her, but it was raining that day, I phoned them up a few hours before and before I could explain why I wanted them there the same time as the vet they said "Of course, lets not let her get wet". I was in bits as I felt stupid phoning them but they were so kind). anyway, sorry went off on a tangent, maybe read the leaflet MP posted.

I feel like via injection via the vets was best for my two as they ate lots of treats first, then the vet came and gave them a sedative, and then the vet took them and administered the injection. My OH wouldn't let me watch either go down and we said our goodbyes and left whilst they loaded them onto the lorry to take away (I had been warned about not watching it as its not dignified no matter how kind and caring the people are).

fusspot

Visit site
I have had 2 of my own put to sleep and probably held Or been with the owner of at least 8.They have all been PTS by injection and can honestly say that every single one has gone down as though they are going to have a lie down and it’s all been very relaxed and peaceful.Not one of them has twitched or sighed,within about a minute of them going down the vet has left us to say our goodbyes.Not one have I been at when the collection happens.
Even with my boy last year,even though it all happened within an hour-when the vet had said yes we will let him go, he got straight onto the practise to organise the collection so I could spend the last precious time with my boy.They came quite a way but he was collected within an hour.
If all planned in advance we have had the collection lorry wait down the road out of sight,the vet then calls them to say it’s done and they drive in very respectfully about 20 minutes later.
The only one I know that was shot-didn’t go to plan and it kind of put me off going down that route.
The only other thing to consider is if the horse is on any medication-a lot of huntsman or knacker men will only do it if they can make use of the body.If on any meds they must be collected for cremation-so no chance of them getting into the food chain, the vets have to glue the line into the vein,they sedate lightly and then they have to leave the syringe on the horses body for being collected.
It really has to be each individual persons wishes.x

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The only other thing to consider is if the horse is on any medication-a lot of huntsman or knacker men will only do it if they can make use of the body.If on any meds they must be collected for cremation-so no chance of them getting into the food chainx

The ones near us will but you have to tell them so they know what to do with the body.

windand rain

Visit site
I would personally only ever use an experienced Knackerman it is quick clean and easy on the animal. little or no blood and I have seen it done about a dozen times. I have only ever seen unpleasant vet jobs except when the vet shot one in an emergency It is up to you of course but Even our vets recommend the local man as to being their first choice for their horses

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm another who prefers to have the horse shot - and I have had both the Hunt and the knackerman/Equine Crem. I have also had 2 pts by injection and will only do it again in an emergency (which the last one was, tbf). I have always been asked by the Crem what I want to do with the ashes, I don't want them back. I want to remember the animals as they were in the good times.

meleeka

Visit site
I’ve had two pts via injection. Both were quick and the horse was unaware. Our local fallen stockman also does cremations so that’s where both mine went (I think most people in the area use his services) My vet co-ordinated the collection and I got ashes back but for much less cost than a dedicated crematorium.

Reactions: PSD

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm afraid I was a bit of a wimp. We had the huntsman come and as soon as he arrived I let my friend, who is a lot tougher than me with these things, deal with him and my pony and I didn't come out until after he had gone.

scats

Visit site
I’ve always had mine PTS by injection. Due to them being sedated first, they were completely unaware of anything going on and have gone down quickly.
The collection of the body really doesn’t bother me at all, but I know some people find it hard to watch so I would suggest avoiding that part.

Reactions: PSD

Trouper

Visit site
I think a lot depends on how close you feel to the animal. I don't mean this in an unkind way but you say it is your mother -in-law's pony so not sure from your post how close you are to it. I have pts twice via injection - both times it went very smoothly and I had arranged for the transporter to be on hand for immediate removal.
I could not bear to see my beautiful horses disfigured by shooting and I was determined to be at their side. They had always trusted me and I wanted to be the last face they saw and the last voice they heard. I was then able to spend a few minutes with them before removal - for which I did not stay. We had said our goodbyes.

TheMule

Visit site
It's personal. I've had 2 done by injection as vet was there treating them so it was the quickest way in an unplanned scenario. It was fine, and I did like that I stayed with them all the way through. But shooting definitely preferable in how quick it is, it's just done and that's it.

AandK

Visit site
It’s very personal I feel. I had my 29yo mare PTS last Nov via injection. She went peacefully and quickly, and I am grateful I was able to be there with her and stroke her as she left us. For me, the thought of having her shot is too traumatic, so it’s not a method I’d choose. Cost wise it was about £260 for vet and same again for collection, I did not have her ashes back.

Orangehorse

Visit site
If the huntsman doesn't any longer, look for a local Fallen Stock person, formerly known as the knacker man. Or ring up someone local who would know a contact.

The least expensive option is the fallen stock person who will come and shoot the pony (and they will have their head in a bucket of feed and won't know anything about it) and then remove the body. I would say that they were not disfigured in any way, they died instantly, the shot was not nearly as loud as I had feared and they small amount of blood was cleared up by the man. When arranging the appointment he said to keep everything as calm and quiet as possible, to turn the pony out in the field as normal, although easy to catch.
I caught the pony, brought it through the gate onto an area of grass, gave her a bucket of feed and handed the rope to the man and he made me go away, or at least stand well behind him. Then a bang and that was it, over instantlly. I went away as the pony was loaded and he left the headcollar, you might not want to keep it.

One other consideration is if the pony is OK with men, because some are frightened of strange men in which case you would get a female vet I think.

Orangehorse

Visit site
I would personally only ever use an experienced Knackerman it is quick clean and easy on the animal. little or no blood and I have seen it done about a dozen times. I have only ever seen unpleasant vet jobs except when the vet shot one in an emergency It is up to you of course but Even our vets recommend the local man as to being their first choice for their horses

This, totally. Vet's don't like it particularly and I think newer younger vets might not ever get to use a gun and where mistakes happen it is often due to simply lack of practice. A knackerman is out every day at farms putting down cattle and taking them away.

windand rain

Visit site
The boy I had done a few weeks ago was a bit headshy and man shy but he loved the knackerman because he was gentle loving and moved slowly made friends and talk to him all the time. It is never nice to lose one but his passing was quick and surrounded by gentle kindness.

Chianti

Visit site
I had my last one put to sleep by lethal injection. It was very calm and quick. I'd read years ago that someone had had her horse put to sleep and stayed throughout because she wanted the last voice the horse heard to be hers. That always stayed with me and I was glad I was there at the end. My mare laid down just as if she was going to sleep. The only thing that would have upset her - she was a bit of a princess - was that she wee'd herself after she'd gone down.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
mine have been shot. first one was by the knacker man , my horse was a bit scared of men and i had sedation ready in case he got upset. he was my first horse and i had never gone through it before, the knacker man had horses of his own and was great with my boy, he kept the gun behind his back and stroked him until he lowered his head and was relaxed, only took a short time, he bought the gun round and shot him and he dropped to the floor and didnt move. i then left and my friends husband stayed to help with the removal. traumatic for me but not for him, the next 3 were sedated first by the vet and then i left and he shot them, i didnt see those ones fall and again friends stayed for the removal. my last mare was shot by the hunt and my lovely yard owner held her for the actual deed and she went with her nose in a bowl of chopped carrots....its a horrible thing to have to do but all of mine have gone without knowing what was going to happen and all went as well as they could and after the first one i preferred to not see them fall .. good luck with whichever way you choose, there is no right or wrong, just personal preference..