What is the Best Western saddle pad?

DavidSchneider

New User
Visit site
I'm looking for recommendations for a new western saddle pad. My current pad is about 7/8" thick neoprene with a thin layer of wool felt on the top side. It's pretty old now and is definitely seeing some wear and tear, so I'm looking to replace it.

phizz4

Visit site
I use a Professional's Choice and they are very good. Comfortable. long lasting. However, they can only be cleaned by hand. Lots of brushing, soaking with pure soap, well rinsed (with a hose pipe) and air dry. Usually a 2 day job. My wife uses one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Toklat-Cool-Back-Standard-Pad/dp/B00NVSOJHI
Good for shorter backed horses (the PC are too long for her mare, even the shorter ones), very thick, comfortable, can be machine washed and spun dry. Also long lasting. We imported ours from the USA as we haven't found them in the UK.

asmp

Visit site
Don’t know anything about western tack but I think Kramer have a biggish section.

TPO

Visit site
5 Star hands down but they are spendy and you can only buy them online from America. They are a shaped felt pad.

Professional Choice are the most popular but make sure you get one that has a shape that matches the horses back. So many of them are straight rectangles.

Classic Equine (the brand, not the UK tack shop) do pads too.

Weaver do nice pads and have just launched another brand of pads called Synergy. They are getting really good reviews.

Sheepskin pads are getting popular over here but again it has to be the good (read expensive ?) brands, not the cheap faux sheepskin pads you see. Mattes would be my recommendation (but not the shimmer version). The cheapest place to order was via The Western Shop, I'm not sure if she still works with mattes but she was the best price by a mile. @sbloom on here is an English saddle fitter but she stocks/can order in custom Mattes numnahs so might be able to order the western pads too, worth a PM.

Christ Lammfelle are another nice sheepskin pad and cheaper than Mattes.

cowgirl16

Visit site
Another vote for the Mattes pads - I have one. As far as I know - Maria at The Western Shop still supplies them.

TPO

Visit site
Another vote for the Mattes pads - I have one. As far as I know - Maria at The Western Shop still supplies them.

Maria isnt The Western Shop. Its Fiona who owns TWS and pads are much cheaper via her than what some others charge (much shorter wait times and better contact/customer service too)

SBJT

Visit site
5 Star hands down but they are spendy and you can only buy them online from America. They are a shaped felt pad.

Professional Choice are the most popular but make sure you get one that has a shape that matches the horses back. So many of them are straight rectangles.

Classic Equine (the brand, not the UK tack shop) do pads too.

Weaver do nice pads and have just launched another brand of pads called Synergy. They are getting really good reviews.

Sheepskin pads are getting popular over here but again it has to be the good (read expensive ?) brands, not the cheap faux sheepskin pads you see. Mattes would be my recommendation (but not the shimmer version). The cheapest place to order was via The Western Shop, I'm not sure if she still works with mattes but she was the best price by a mile. @sbloom on here is an English saddle fitter but she stocks/can order in custom Mattes numnahs so might be able to order the western pads too, worth a PM.

Christ Lammfelle are another nice sheepskin pad and cheaper than Mattes.

5 star for sure. They’re really popular here but not cheap. I’ve also got a diamond wool and an equipedic. I’d avoid a neoprene saddle pad like the plague. Wool ones are best for long trail rides.

Reactions: TPO

cowgirl16

Visit site
Maria isnt The Western Shop. Its Fiona who owns TWS and pads are much cheaper via her than what some others charge (much shorter wait times and better contact/customer service too)

Sorry - my mistake - Maria is The Western Saddler - and she does the Mattes pads.

TPO

Visit site
Sorry - my mistake - Maria is The Western Saddler - and she does the Mattes pads.

Yeah she does, sorry thought I'd said that. Just they are a hellva lot cheaper from The Western Shop and Classic Equine. Both of those places have good customer service and delivery times too.

DavidSchneider

New User
Visit site
I use a Professional's Choice and they are very good. Comfortable. long lasting. However, they can only be cleaned by hand. Lots of brushing, soaking with pure soap, well rinsed (with a hose pipe) and air dry. Usually a 2 day job. My wife uses one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Toklat-Cool-Back-Standard-Pad/dp/B00NVSOJHI
Good for shorter backed horses (the PC are too long for her mare, even the shorter ones), very thick, comfortable, can be machine washed and spun dry. Also long lasting. We imported ours from the USA as we haven't found them in the UK.
Thanks for the suggestion you made. I also found a review where they recommend Southwestern Equine Saddle Pad. How is it?

TPO

Visit site
I wouldnt put much value in the article you linked to.

Two of the pads arent even suitable for western saddles. The "orthopedic" padding is only of any value if there is (equal on both sides) muscle wastage and/or the saddle has to be fitted to take the extra padding into consideration.

When the padding is stitched like that you also have the issue of pressure on the edges.