What is the daily routine for you guys on DIY and part livery?

TheShark

Visit site
Hi guys

Just wondering how everyone's daily routine works when it comes to horse care on DIY and part-livery.

Q's for DIYers:

What time do you do morning check? What do you do at morning check? How many times do you go to the yard each day? What time do you do final check?

Qs for part-liveries:

How many times a day do you see your horse? What time do you go up? How long do you spend with your horse (riding and on the ground)? Are you happy entrusting the care of your horse to someone else for part of the day? why choose part livery?

I'm asking because I have a long-term plan to buy my own horse but working in London means I am time-poor - so I'm trying to work out the best option for me. I haven't asked about full livery as I know this will be out of my budget.

Hope you don't mind me asking. I'd love to hear about your daily routines!

Thanks

quirky

Visit site
I am part livery and most days I go up in the evening to finish her off and ride. Finish her off means fill her nets, bring her in (in summer) and feed.
I can swap to mornings as and when I like and I do this maybe once or twice a week. On those days, I ride, turn out and then muck out and do nets. The yard bring her in.
I am quite happy with this arrangement as the yard has the best facilities round here and the YO is very knowledgeable but not interfering. The yard is a 24 mile round trip and I don't want to do that more than once a day, hence part livery.

I have been on DIY but I found it more restrictive. I'd drop my girl at school and then get to the yard (with my then toddler) at about 9:15. We'd turn out, muck out and do nets. I would go back later to bring in and ride, when OH was home to look after children. The problem came when OH worked away and when we wanted to go on holiday. I had to ask another DIYer to look after horse and I felt uncomfortable doing it.

izzabella

Visit site
hi

i have mine at home with no help so mega diy.

she has breakfast at half 7, which is a 5 min bucket of feed and i check her and the field over quickly.

before i go to work for 8.

then when im home at 5 i have an hour and a half to myself and then she gets a cuddle, groom and ride is its a ride day. then i brush her over and put her bk in the field. usually finished by 8 so.

minum day is half an hour with her.

i ride 5-6 times a week for an hour

maximum day is 3/4 on a week day

at a weekend its 1 hour minimum or 6/7 hours

Shutterbug

Visit site
Im on DIY. Currently Arion is out 24/7 but come about October he will be out during the day and in at night, weather dependant. Usually, our YO will feed and turnout at about 7am and when I finish work at 4pm I head straight to the yard and muck out/do haynets/feeds. I bring him in and ride and then put his jam jams on and tuck him in for the night. Ideally he will out as often as possible though, just depends on how his mud fever copes

Paint it Lucky

Visit site
I have my horse on DIY. Get up at half fiveish to be at yard for six (yard is very near house fortunately). Bring horse in as he is currently out at night for the summer. Check he is happy etc then head off to work for 6.45 (yes I start work early!)

Finish work at approx 4.15-4.30, drive back to yard, give horse a groom and then ride him for normally 45 mins-1hour. Then wash/brush him off, turn him out then muck out his stable and get his feed/hay etc ready for the morning. Get home some time between 6 and 7pm. Tend to go to bed quite early (9ish) as I am up early and have quite a physical job (dressage groom), so am very tired otherwise!

Hope this helps. Maybe consider sharing as an option too? I know a few people who work in the city so don't have much time to see a horse so they share one at the stables and come down 2-3 times a week to ride.

alcraw

Visit site
Mine lives out 24/7, and I'm DIY in as much as she's in a field with 2 other people's horses and we all muck in.

Currently I pop up on my way to work (7.30ish) for a check over, fly mask, generally say hello. In the evenings I either pop back in on my way home to do much the same thing, or ride - anytime between 6 - 8pm depending on what I've got on. My working hours generally mean I do first and last checks, and the other owners come up inbetween.

Winter will be harder as it will be dark by the time I get home, and I'll only be able to ride at weekends. I've only had her since March, so not really done a winter. I'm planning on suggesting I do the morning check/ feed for them all, and someone else do evening.

Foxymumma

Visit site
Hi guys

Just wondering how everyone's daily routine works when it comes to horse care on DIY and part-livery.

Q's for DIYers:

What time do you do morning check? What do you do at morning check? How many times do you go to the yard each day? What time do you do final check?

Im a DIYer, my routine varies dependant on time of year etc, as i tend to have my horses out 24/7 during summer and in at night during winter.
But a typical summer day would be:
Yard at 7am, bring in, pick out feet, quick check over for lumps and bumps, heat etc I also check that theyre looking their usual perky selves. If i have time then groom and lunge. possibly feed concentrates if the horse needs it and the horse hasnt worked hard. turn back out. by around 8:30.

evening:
check water troughs, bring in groom, ride or lunge if horse wasnt done am, turn back out

Im lucky that im on a yard not too far from my house, and all the other liveries are friendly and helpful and so is the yard owner. There usually is always someone on the yard and everyone checks on everyone elses horses.

TinselRider

www.gatesequestrian.webs.com
I'm on diy.
The boys get fed at 6.30 by the yo
I go down at 7:30 and turn out, muck out, do waters, haynets and feeds.
Go back in the evening at about 3 if I am going to ride both or if it's their day off I go down at 5, get in, groom and put away for the night.

I'm usually done by 7:30 and the yo does a late check at 8 and 10.

hannah28

Visit site
hiya :D

im diy, when im off i go up at around 8 am ride, turnout muckout and do haynets and dinner. then i go back up at 5pm bed down, bring in, groom, rug, hay and feed. then yard owner gives another net at 9pm.

when im working i go up at 7 am, turnout and muckout if i have time. then go back up at 4 pm muck out if i havent, do haynets, bring in, ride, groom, hay feed. then yard owner gives another net at 9pm.

Carow

Visit site
I'm on part livery. I work early mornings and then again late afternoons into mid evening.

YO feeds, turns out and brings in for me most weekdays. I go up to the yard everyday and muck out - weekdays this will be mid to late morning. I choose to stable my horse overnight all year round. I do a full muck out every day and make the stable ready for YO to bring in for the evening - bed down, hay manger filled and feeds ready for that evening and next morning.

During the week I've time to ride during the middle of the day and hack for about an hour. If not riding I'll spend some time with my horse out in the paddock.

On weekends I spend most of the morning with my horse - long hack after mucking out and I'll turn out/bring in also.

I'm on a small yard a couple of miles from my house and the YO is excellent and I have full trust in her. I used to be on a DIY only yard a bit further away but it didn't fit in well with my work hours.

jon1210

Visit site
Im a DIY'er and i get to the yard at 7.30am and turn horse out do a muck out and put bed up and then hay nets, water bowl, brush and tidy, make feed for afternoon, fill ball with pony cubes, etc and then i wizz off to collage then when im finished go down and put bed down and put more bed in if he needs it then i bring him in around 4.30pm ish and groom then ride for about an hour and a half (1 hour working in the school and then 30min hack) then put him away and then have a chat and stuff for about an hour then feed and give him hay net then say goodnight :)

dibbin

Visit site
I'm DIY, he's out 24/7 in summer but stabled in winter. My winter routine varies depending on what day it is (ie. if I have an early start at uni or not).

Early start

Arrive at stables 6.30
Muck out, haynet up, change water, change rug(s).
Breakfast at 7.
Leave for uni.

Back at about 4.30/5ish.
Ride.
Muck out, fill nets for that night/next morning, fill water, put rug(s) on.
Dinner at about 6.

Non-early start

Arrive at stables 8.30.
Breakfast.
Muck out - leave bed up, fill haynet for that night/next morning, change water.
Coffee break :p
Ride.
Turn out in field for the day.

Back at about 5/5.30.
Bring bed down.
Catch in.
Dinner at about 6.

Beccahh

www.youtube.com
At the moment mines easy i get up go the yard (my friend gives out there breakfasts) then turn out or rug up if weathers not nice then go steam the hay then muck out leave beds to dry and do water haybars feeds ect then beds down and go home or stay down :) then about 4ish they come in have a groom then a rest then are ridden then i cool them down give them a through groom and then tea time .. and then go home
but thats cos im not in college and have all day down the yard
if im working or when i used to go college my mum and dad alternated days would turn out and do my jobs so i could come down and ride groom and put there beds down :)

in winter i like the lads out about 8 and in for half 3
and summer they somtimes stay out if its a nice night but normally out for 7 in for 5 and if its to hot then they come in during dinner for a hour or so =]

ThePony

Visit site
We are on diy, 24/7 turnout in the summer (unless it is very warm, in which case they are in during the day and go out at night), they go out in the day through the winter unless the weather is truly bad - more to save the fields a bit really as the gateways get so muddy.

Summer-
get up 6:30 and at the yard for 8 (at yard for 7:30 if riding). If riding then we hack out for about 1 1/2 hrs. Do usual checks in the morning - fly mask, fly rug, spray, pick out feet and check feet and legs. Walk around field boundries and check water (bail out the trough about once a week to keep it nice). General chatter with them, feed an apple and check they are themselves.
Go up about 7ish in the evening if not riding and pretty much do a repeat of the morning checks, with the addition of feeding tea. We poo pick 2 or 3 times a week. If riding or lunging when we get there about 5:30/6ish and hack/school or lunge. They both get ridden at least 3 times a week, with one of them having a lunge too, the other competes once a week aswell. Usually get home and have tea by about 8:30. If we go out on an evening (gasp, sometimes we try to have a life!!) then we do them early with no riding and then do a late check too.

Winter:
Pretty much governed by daylight in winter so oh trys to work v early or late so that riding can happen around it during the week, otherwise we are restricted to weekends unless we compete in the week or hire a school with lights.
First light (if oh working early then we are there by 7) - change rugs, check over and turn out. Walk the field boundries and check water. Muck out and set bed for evening. If work starts later then ride or at least lunge.
Evening - ideally at yard by 4ish, bring in and ride if light permits. Then put to bed with rug change, soaked hay and tea. Don't wash legs off (ahem, pet hate!!). Usually do a late check in winter when it is dark so early as they are in bed for 5 ish, so pop up around 9/10 for a late check.

On the weekends we spend more time up there and generally ride both days, monday is always day off. Use the weekends to catch up on poo picking if we've had a busy week too. If we take a holiday or go away for a night then luckily we can pay the ym to look after them, we are v lucky as she does a brilliant job!
Add onto that the rug/saddle cloth and tack cleaning, checks on truck and trailer etc! We are lucky as we live v near our yard and we have no other life (!) so we can spend alot of time up at the yard together - quality couple time and horsey time!!

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Hi keep mine on a small yard on part livery, generally YO puts out in morning with whatever rugs needed depending on weather. I will go up mid-late afternoon to muck out and bed down, bring in and feed, if not riding. If im riding il still go up at the same time and before putting away i will ride.
Im a student though so in hols I wil call anytime of day to ride if weather is nice and spend a few hours there as no work to do! However i can change to do early mornings if suits me better just by sending a text but at mo they going out at 7am so suits me for YO to do that time!
I trust her to look after them very well and in 6 years never been let down in actual fact she has generally been the one to ring midday saying there is something wrong and if they are ill she will do late night, middle of night and early morning checks as extra and doesnt charge anything. Plus i have the option of her doing them when Im away or on long days at uni for no extra...im quite luck really considering the price i pay!

Rache

Visit site
DIY livery- between me and mate, we help each other out.

Winter

Down at 7. feed, turnout (leave in till after school run to ride at 9.30) muck out, full groom, poo pick. get back home for 11ish. (I work 2 nights a week). sort out friends horse if needed, ie icy

Back at 5.30, bring in change rugs, pull down bed. hay and feed, bring in friends horses and do the same for her.

Summer
Down for 9.30, Other livery is down at 7 so she does first check. poo- pick, ride, bring in for the day.

Back down about 4ish depending on weather, ride if havnt in the morning, muck out, .
Other livery is down at 7 so again so puts an eye over mine.

I actually find winter easier for me as I have a 5yr old son so cant get much riding in when the school hols are here.

Rana

Visit site
QR

I'm on DIY and my daily routine is:

5am First alarm goes off
5.10 Second alarm goes off, drag self out of bed
5.30 Leave for yard
5.45 Arrive at yard
Feed, as she's eating, collect hay bucket and refill it, get mucking out tools. Rug up and turn out, then muck out stable, sweep floor, put bed back down. Fill water buckets while I sweep, empty barrow, then collect tools and feed buckets, put away and make up feeds ready for the evening/following morning.
6.45 Leave yard
7am Home, breakfast, shower, chores
8.25 Leave for work
8.30-4.30 At work (1 hour lunchbreak, where I go home and collect the dog, then she comes to work with me for the afternoon)
4.30 Change shoes, gather belongings, wake up dog, leave for yard
5pm Arrive at yard
Bring in, full groom, rug up, feed, take dog for a run round the fields
Any time between 5.30 (wet so can't groom and no one to talk to) or 6.30 (lots of people to natter to!), leave yard and home 20 mins later.

During the winter (when clocks change), I work through lunch, so I finish work at 3.30 and my evening times are all brought forward an hour, so she comes in before dark. This winter will be my first with a dog, so not sure if she'll come to work with me for the day, or if I'll pop home and get her before I go to the yard.

My horse is retired though, so I don't have to worry about fitting in riding, or hacking before it gets dark etc.

YO is on site and I'm sure she checks the horses before she goes to bed - she would definitely hear a horse in trouble anyway, so I make sure she has plenty of hay and don't worry about her til morning.

catdragon

Visit site
Im on part livery. I totally trust the care of my horse to the YM, she treats all the horses with care and love. In fact such is the reputation of the level of care even a visiting instructor (no alliegance to the yard) has recommended it to folks. The latest, a lovely lady who's horse had a turning out/bringing in issue- that have been resolved calmly, without force. Coming to our yard was his last chance and now the horse is happy, as is the owner :D

So onto my routine.

I go every evening, depending on work I get there anytime between 6 and 7.30pm. I know my girl is in, been fed, has water and her nut ball. I give her her hay. I tend to spend between 1-3 hours there (depending on time of arrival as I always leave yard by 9pm). I would say 60% of the time is spent with my girl, grooming, fussing, riding etc the other 40% in generally tidying up, skipping out, preparing next days feeds & chatting to other liveries. At the weekend it's totally DIY, which suits me fine.

I will arrive between 7.30-8am, feed,muck out, groom and then ride (if I am doing so) then turn out. I return to the yard between 3-3.30pm to put bed down,water,hay prepare feed, bring in,feet picked,groomed,rugged (if rugged) etc. Usually leave the yard between 6 and 7pm at the weekend.

Hope this helps. I find my mare is happy as there is a routine, we've had quite a few horses pass through our yard in the nearly 6 years its been open. A lot arrived quite stressed but all have without fail settled and chilled with a fortnight. They all look happy in their stables.

I would say, go look at potential yards. Look at how things are, how the horses seem and if you like who run the yard. Ask questions that are relevant to you. Good Luck :D

SillySausage

Visit site
I am on DIY livery in the winter at university (kept at home in Summer)

*If he has turnout his routine is as follows:*

What time do you do morning check?
I go down at 815/8.30am

What do you do at morning check?
Turn him out
Lift bed up

How many times do you go to the yard each day?
Twice

What do you do at evening check?
Bring him in
Put bed down
Ride him
Feed him
Put him to bed

What time do you do final check?
He has to be in by 5pm and I have to be off the yard by 7.30pm

*If he has no turnout his routine is as follows:*

What time do you do morning check?
I go down at 815/8.30am

What do you do at morning check?
Full muck out
Feed him
Change rugs
Give hay and water for the day

How many times do you go to the yard each day?
Always three times, sometimes four
Each time I will skip him out and give him more hay/water

What do you do at evening check?
Skip him out
Ride him
Feed him
Put him to bed

What time do you do final check?
I will go down after dinner at about half 4 and I have to be off the yard by 7.30pm

Doormouse

Visit site
I'm on DIY. Horses are out at night in during the day in the summer. Most mornings I get to the yard at about 6.30, get them in, ride and do haynets, food, rugs etc. I get back in the evening anytime between 5.30 and 6pm. Feed, muck out, turn out and get everything ready for the morning. If I ride in the evening as well I don't get home until 8ish. I'm very lucky that the yard is only 5 mins drive from home but we don't have anyone who will feed or turn out for us.

Winter is much the same but without the turning out as we can't turn out at all once the ground gets wet. We have a walker and I put both horses on it as soon as I arrive in the morning while I muck out and then ride depending on light and weather.

NicoleS_007

Visit site
Im on DIY. We have a feeding rota for breakfast and lunch so who ever is on the morning will feed at 7.30 and check that all horses are still alive and well, then who ever is on lunch will feed lunch at 1pm. I go up to the yard at various times throughout the week, once a day and usually stay there for a minimum of 3hrs. I would usually do last checks at about 8pm.

TheShark

Visit site
Thanks guys - this is a huge help!

Thelwell girl - I think it's highliy likely I will try your riding school at some point. It sounds great!

Orv

Visit site
Qs for part-liveries:

How many times a day do you see your horse? What time do you go up? How long do you spend with your horse (riding and on the ground)? Are you happy entrusting the care of your horse to someone else for part of the day? why choose part livery?

I usually visit him twice a day, at weekends I'm there for 5/6 hours so only the once as I'm there nearly all day!

Week days I ride at 7am, so I usually get to the yard for 6:30am and leave around 8:10am
I go back up around 6:30-7:30pm to fuss/groom, poo pick (summer months as lives out 24/7), potter about etc

There are some yards I wouldn't put my horse on part livery, however I completely trust the grooms where I am and he is very well looked after. However I am around alot and very much "involved" even though he is on livery.

I'm chose part livery as I have quite a demanding job and tend to work long hours, I also have a bit of a dodgy back and was finding mucking out was causing alot of pain, I also decided I wanted to spend more quality time with my horse rather than mucking out, filling haynets etc

cobface

Visit site
*normally*
Summer: (out at night, in during day)
my horse gets brought in by yard at 8am and fed her brekkie
i normally get down down at 930 am muck out, groom and ride this normally takes me to around 1130am
she gets turned out and fed at 5pm by YO

Winter - same but out during day in at night

ATM i am mucking out and riding after 7pm untill kids go back to school.......

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Summer:

AM Check horse in the field (have him brought in at 10.00am)
PM Ride horse, turn him out. Skip out.

Winter:

AM Arrive at yard at 6.45am. Feed, muck out, change rugs (have him turned out at around 9.00am)

PM Arrive at yard at 4.30, horse has been brought in - skip out, top up hay, water etc. and feed.

During the winter my horse is exercised for me 3 times a week and I ride him myself 2 or 3 times a week.

I am on essentially DIY with assistance, which is just fantastic.

Tempi

Visit site
My mare is on part livery and my 2yr old is on grass livery.

Grass livery the yard check twice a day and feed once a day. I catch him in on Saturdays and groom him, loose school him, take him out to shows, out for walks - i just vary it so he does something different each week. Over the winter he will have a total break and il just bring him in and groom him once a week.

My mare is in foal (due mid April) shes on part livery - i work a 40hr week and also work freelance outside of my normal job. I ride her 3 evenings a week and once on the weekend. She is currently living out but will come in over the winter (she has a stable). The yard feed her every morning, i feed her the evenings i ride after riding otherwise they feed her in the evenings. They catch her in for me so shes in for the evenings that i ride her. Once shes back to out during the day and in at night though they will turn out and catch in daily as i wont be down in the evenings until after their 'catch-in' time.

I used to have two competition horses (BD) on DIY and that was hard work, i was at the yard around 6am and not home until about 8pm every day. Its a massive commitment.

seadog

Visit site
Summer

6.40 arrive at yard
Bring in
Feed and hay
Pick out feet and fly spray
7.05 leave to go to work (boooo!)

6pm arrive at yard
Groom and ride
Fly spray
Turn out
Poo pick field
Muck out stable and do waters
7.45 leave if ride even later

At weekends
Rock up to the yard about 8.30
Have fun with pony
Home for lunch
Try and get home after second visit for 6 :)

Winter

Get to yard for 6.30
Feed
Turn out
Muck out
Leave for 7.05

Back to yard for 6
Water
Groom and ride
Feed and hay
Pony is brought in for me in winter

This is all when I'm working long days 8.30-5 an hour away from home, luckily this is only 3 days a week, I have my weekends totally free, finish work at 2 on one of the days and the other I'm at college and finish at 4 :)

SpockkyBoy

Visit site
My horse is DIY but out 24/7 so Ill do it when he was stabled.

At the yard for 7am
Feed,
Brush off and pick out feet,
(rug or un rug depends on weather) and turnout,
Muck out and do nets

Back down the yard between 5.30-6pm
Bring in, (If already in I will skip out instead)
Pick out feet,
Brush off,
Ride,
Rug up if needed,
chuck in PM feed and net

Takes me 15mins to fully muck out AM, and 5 mins to skip out PM. I used to get home at about 7.30pm most nights.