what is the difference between a dr bristol bit and french link?

AprilBlue

Visit site
just a question in general so by all means, correct me if i'm wrong but to me both of them look pretty much the same :)
what is the difference?

Archiepoo

Visit site
with the french link the middle link section lies flat on the tongue ,with the dr bristol the link is on 90% to the tongue and presses onto the tongue. french link kind -dr bristol severe .good question tho :)

be positive

Visit site
The link on a Dr Bristol lies at a different angle so that it puts pressure on the tongue, it is also longer and more rectangular in shape which adds to the pressure.

Karran

Visit site
I always remember the difference by thinking that the middle part of a french link is like a peanut in a shell - goes in at the middle.
Dr Bristol has a long flat middle piece with no 'peanut'

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Of course the posters above are absolutely right. However you are not alone OP in not knowing the difference. I once went into a local tack shop to hire a French link bit to try on my mare. the assistant brought me a Dr Bristol and honestly didn't know the difference until I told her. She had never heard of Dr B, even though the name was inscribed on the bit!

AprilBlue

Visit site
thanks guys now I understand ;)
its interesting how just the angle of that 'peanut' could have such a great effect on a horses mouth!