What is the difference between a saddler and a saddle fitter?

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Can you buy a second-hand saddle and have it adjusted to fit your horse or pony?

Yes you can. But it has to be the right saddle.

Albion fitted my last horse really well but I couldn't afford a brand new one, and my saddler didn't have a second hand one.

I sourced a second hand one of the size and type recommended, then he came out and fitted it to my horse.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
no you cant ust buy any second hand saddle and get it fitted. you really need to know what the shape of your horse's back is first so i would suggest you get a saddle fitter out to measure your horse and then you will know what type/size /width to get.

Shay

Visit site
You can't buy any old saddle - you need to know the length and width. But after that a good saddler can fit within those parameters. A saddle fitter can only tell you it doesn't!

Woah

Visit site
What is the difference between a saddler and a saddle fitter? Can you buy a second-hand saddle and have it adjusted to fit your horse or pony?

There are so many parameters to consider when buying a saddle that unless you have a solid understanding of what you are looking for I wouldn't even go there. Some saddle fitters carry a range of second hand saddles that they can bring and try for fit to your horse. If you are looking to buy a second hand saddle yourself and then get checked by a saddle fitter you will need to know required width, gullet size, seat size/length, panel shape, seat twist to suit you and even then it may simply not suit, plus be prepared to check for a sound tree. Not all saddles can have tree width adjusted. There are some online saddle trading sites that allow you to trial saddles, you do pay a set amount for each trial though, but it could save you ending up out of pocket with an unsuitable saddle to try to sell on.

pennyturner

Visit site
In addition to length and width, you also need to consider the curve of the tree. Some horses need a very flat tree, others a nice banana shaped one, and I wouldn't expect a saddler to make a curved tree fit a flat horse.

Kaylum

Visit site
A saddle should be fitted to your horse and yourself. Anyone adjusting a saddle for you should have seen you ride in the saddle and understand what there is to adjust if this is even possible.

They should also make sure what kind of girth you are using is correct to the shape of your horse along with which pad to use underneath.