What is the most comfortable and secure saddle you have owned

canteron

Visit site
Looking for a new saddle for a happy hacker on a flat backed cob. Just want to feel comfortable and secure when going out on long hacks.

Thinking Ideal, Solution ..... ? There are so many out there its a bit of a minefield.

And do you think that it is worth just going with what the local saddle fitter stocks in that it is more important to have a saddle regularly checked rather than going to the best saddle sitter that you may only be able to get checked once a year.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
You need to have a saddle that is a good make for your breed of horse. So whilst we can have an idea of the make we want - if that make doesn't fit that shape of horse - it's no good.

Get a Master Saddler out to look at your horse - he will fit the best type and fit for you.

But to answer your question - Albion - K2. A wonderfully comfortable and secure saddle. It has the longer TB panels, so fitted my TB X beautifully.

ThePony

Visit site
My fav is my current one - a fairfax gp. Lovely and comfy for me and my mare. Moveable knee blocks so you can fiddle about and get them just right for you. I feel nice and secure in mine, but not stuck in with massive blocks! It is the only saddle I have been able to ride in for long hacks and not have 'lady bit' issues with!
Worth trying lots of diff saddles and brands and seeing what suits.
I didn't use my local saddle fitter as he isn't the best. Mine travels for over an hour but is v good. Well worth the extra mileage I pay him!

FleabittenT

Visit site
Jeffries falcon hawk event saddle :)

Fab, fab saddle, 4 or 5 of us on the yard have them now, fitted to a variety of horses. Lovely & comfortable on long hacks, deep seat feels very secure.

Our local saddle fitter found mine fairly easily, they don't break the bank too much either, especially 2nd hand.

Or you could look at one of the new Kent & Masters saddles? I think they cut one specifically for cobs - can't speak for comfort though!

Good luck! :D

lachlanandmarcus

Visit site
Best for a flat backed cob is normally an Ideal H&C (Highland and Cob) leather saddle, or for those with smaller pockets like me, a Thorowgood adjustable cob saddle. Both have breeching (extra 4th) girth strap which really helps and fit table tops well!

NB out of interest when my flat coblet was seen by a saddle fitter she needed an XXW of the Thorowgood but only an XW in the Ideal H&C so worth bearing in mind.

The only problem with the Ideal is that it is quite expensive new and very hard to find second hand. The Thorowgood is much cheaper (like a third of the cost) and also fairly easy to find second hand.

Edited to add that for a non cob the best saddle Ive ever tried/had is my 17hand hunters Towe hunter saddle. Very similar shape to the black country ones. Its known as the Parker Knoll as its just like sitting in a comfy chair, and the horse has always loved it.

bexcy-bee

Visit site
Lovett and Ricketts GP. Love it!! Just wish i had a horse to fit it now...

Also, my big horsies saddle i LOVE. cant think of its make, but made to measure, so very secure, until the piggy decided to eat lots that is!

Joyous70

Visit site
I have recently bought a Kent & Masters GP for my boy and i love it. It has moveable knee blocks, changeable gullets and is soooooo comfy. They do a Cob GP in Kent & Masters too.

ThoroughbredStar

Visit site
Looking for a new saddle for a happy hacker on a flat backed cob. Just want to feel comfortable and secure when going out on long hacks.

Thinking Ideal, Solution ..... ? There are so many out there its a bit of a minefield.

And do you think that it is worth just going with what the local saddle fitter stocks in that it is more important to have a saddle regularly checked rather than going to the best saddle sitter that you may only be able to get checked once a year.

Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Must say, I am a big fan of Ideals!!!! Lovely saddles, especially for showing :D I've had quite a few Ideals. One of the nicest saddles I had was an un-named showing saddle.

Crackerz

Visit site
Close contacts! I hate bulky saddles & knee rolls. The best saddle that i've sat some horrendous stops in at fences was my Pessoa jumping saddle.

My current saddle, a Fylde Samantha is as flat as a pancake & i love it, i feel most secure when i'm as close to the horse as possible :)

Leg_end

Visit site
Saddles are completely personal preference I think... depends very much on you and the horse. Personally I hate thorowgoods and love Albion and Wow. I have a wow now and love the fact that I can just get it all adjusted to fit my new boy and dont have the stress of selling a saddle if it doesnt fit.

Vetwrap

Visit site
The most secure saddle was an Aussie stock - wintec make one and Thorowgood used to, many, many moons ago. I've had both and there was no trick on earth that my boy could pull to get rid of you!

They would have needed seat savers for really long hacks though....

ginadrummond

Visit site
*hangs head in shame*

the most comfy saddle i've ridden in was a bluddy wintec 2000 :eek:

but, they don't fit my horse...

I remember borrowing a bright blue wintec when they first came out and it was sooooo secure it was ubelievable - I took it xc. Not sure on the new ones though.

nicnag

Visit site
I've had a fair few different makes over the years but the Ideals are the ones I've found fitted the most different shapes. I presently have an Ideal Grandee and a GFS Avant, the Avant was a lot more money but I'm not loving it that much! The Grandee does me for every discipline and I love it more than some members of my family!

Winklepoker

Visit site
Same here, vote for my Wintec Pro Dressage with Zero Shame!! I LOVE YOU WINTEC P D, thank you for helping me stay on my pony in times of crisis and stained under garments! I also have a Falcon Hawk event, but nothing will ever come close to the wintec for stickability!

catdragon

Visit site
My Isabell Werth dressage saddle... with equi-suede.. Alas only fitted my girl for 6 months and then no chance :(

Now have a made to measure Ideal based GP saddle that I love and if it had had the suede seat incorporated (as ordered) I'd be happier with it. As it is I have a latex seat and it's lovely, NEVER get achey lady bits ! :D

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
My 2 favourites:
my 10 year old Euroriding Jade jump saddle with latex seat :D It has flexible tree and all sorts of other gadgets and is really comfy.

A Stubben romanus II limited edition, very comfy, quite expensive, very pretty and some sod has nicked it of my horse's back at a show:mad::(

LazyS

Visit site

Well I can only answer - for comfort AND security on ANY rides - a western saddle! I have an Equiflex Continental and a Montana (two different horses). But you probably were not looking for western as a solution. I changed to western because I wanted to enjoy longer rides in comfort, be able to get on and off easily if necessary (comfort breaks!) and open and close gates (though both horses are trained to do gates from their backs).

There was a western thread started on here and one forum member came and tried one of my boys at the beginning of October: she loved the saddle (and the horse) but he isn't for sale! Pic of her on my profile. :D

You can get western saddles for any horse, just a case of knowing where to look. If you are interested there is the Western Equestrian Society (WES) if you look on their website you will see that ALL breeds are rideable western. There is also a magazine Western Horse UK (available in good newsagents) published bi-monthly, that is full of useful info regarding western horses and riding, and the equipment needed. Enjoy.

Sanolly

Visit site
My Aussie saddle that I picked up for my boy at a Steam Fair!
Photo132.jpg

Faro

Visit site
Completely different shape to a cob, I know, but funnily enough with the same table top flat, wide back is one of my Arabs. When we first backed him it took us over a year to find a saddle which would fit and not slide either sideways or forwards. Eventually came across Reactorpanel and got him a second hand GP one. Horse is now 10 and has had the same saddle ever since, which has the advantage of being adjustable as the horse changes shape (so have never had to keep buying/selling outgrown saddles). Horse is question is now an advanced Endurance horse and his Reactorpanel saddle remains comfortable certainly for me (and as far as the horse is able to tell me, for him too) for rides of 50 miles plus.

If you're looking at traditional style treed saddles however, get a saddle fitter out who comes qualified/recommended and not necessarily the one nearest to you. Don't make the mistake of calling out a Master Saddler without checking that he/she is a saddle fitter also - a master saddler MAKES/repairs saddles, whilst a qualified saddle fitter FITS saddles.