What is the most stupid thing said to you by another dog owner??

maisie06

Visit site
Apart from the famous "it's ok he's friendly"

Mine was elderly lady with hugely obese show cocker telling me my springer "can't possibly be a springer as he's too thin and must have lots of whippet in him" after enquiring what breed he was... he's field trial lines so the light modern type with a ridiculous metabolism (i'm jealous of that!) who actually works in the field!! She also told me my cocker is a Clumber and I must have been ripped off!!!!!

fankino04

Visit site
Apart from the fairly regular "it'll do him good to get told off" when I'm trying to keep some distance with an unpredictable large dog, I was once yelled abuse at by a woman claiming that I'm cruel and if I can't look after a dog properly I shouldn't have one, reason for the cruelty the pointer x lab I walk is skinny. Woman didn't engage in any conversation first, from which she could have found out many things such as the dogs not mine, the owner is working with the vet in regards to why he can't put weight on, or even not true but possible that the dog was a rescue who came to us in a very poor condition.

Karran

Visit site
Mrs Spaniel once got confused for a red setter puppy? Not sure how that one worked.

I also had a woman very irately tell me off for dying her fur (she was rather sun bleached that year and had blonde highlights!)

Most people seem to be confused as to what both of them are as they dont look like show collies/spaniels. I did have someone ask yesterday if Mrs Collie was a whippet!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
I've had all the permutations of 'an Alsatian is short coated and a German Shepherd is a long coat', or that it's something to do with their back legs, including someone proudly telling me that theirs was a cross of the two, lots of people asking me what mine were/were crossed with, because they're not blondies (collie for the fluffy one and pit bull for the one with the massive head), and my favourite, overhearing a vet (who's father was very well respected and x-rayed my mother's female in 1983) tell another customer that 'all German Shepherds get hip dysplasia' after charging them 500 quid for something (our bitch scored 0-0 ?)

deb_l222

Visit site
I must admit I'm kind of missing the "you've got your hands full" comments when I had the three of them. I have still got my hands full because the one that remains is/was the nightmare of the bunch to walk!!

I get asked a lot if Willow is a border collie, despite the fact she couldn't look more like a springer if she had "I am a springer spaniel" flashing above her head. I do wonder if it's because she's black and white.

Mrs. Jingle

Visit site
A friend who owned a rather lovely black chow chow proudly informed me she had a black tongue because they are directly descended from bears! :eek: I laughed thinking she was joking and I remembered vaguely that some bears had black tongues. I explained that it was impossible for the dog to have bear ancestors as they are totally different species, but some bears did also have black tongues, she was truly offended.

She even called her husband into the conversation to back up her claim. I am shocked to say that her husband who is a primary school teacher was equally offended and also insisted that it was true that the chow chow is descended from bears!

I think it was from that point that our 'friendship' tended to seep away into the no longer compatible section of my social sphere lol!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I was out with Bo and Luna last year. Came across a lady with 4 on the ground, off lead, and carrying one, shihtzus. (Sorry about spelling). Luna, our husky was on her long lead, so I reeled her in and called Bo to me. One of her dogs actually went for Luna and she said “oh, he doesn’t like boy dogs, is protecting his girls”.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
When telling a woman that her dog had crapped on the beach (she was walking ahead of the dog, who was some distance behind), she asked me ‘where?’ I pointed in the direction that I’d seen it go to toilet (about 50 yards away).

She promptly told me that it would be more helpful in future to be able to pinpoint the poo more accurately so that it could be picked up by the person who’s dog it was. I responded that, respectfully, it would be more helpful for the owner to actually keep an eye on their fecking dog, so I didn’t have to point it out…..

Last edited:

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I was out with Bo and Luna last year. Came across a lady with 4 on the ground, off lead, and carrying one, shihtzus. (Sorry about spelling). Luna, our husky was on her long lead, so I reeled her in and called Bo to me. One of her dogs actually went for Luna and she said “oh, he doesn’t like boy dogs, is protecting his girls”.

That’s Jack! He’s a b@stard with large dogs, so we have to be very aware of what’s around us and put him back on a lead pdq.

bonny

Visit site
There’s a man near me who walks a black Labrador, couldn’t be more of a black Labrador but he thinks we have dogs in common as he insists his is a working collie. He had a lab before who died and he wanted something else so he rang someone on a farm with a collie litter and came away with .....a black lab ! I did once ask him if the farm had labs as well, he said yes, but he’d made up his mind to have a collie instead. We sometimes have conversations about how pleased he is to have a collie as they are much more trainable than a lab.....I just go along with him.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
There’s a man near me who walks a black Labrador, couldn’t be more of a black Labrador but he thinks we have dogs in common as he insists his is a working collie. He had a lab before who died and he wanted something else so he rang someone on a farm with a collie litter and came away with .....a black lab ! I did once ask him if the farm had labs as well, he said yes, but he’d made up his mind to have a collie instead. We sometimes have conversations about how pleased he is to have a collie as they are much more trainable than a lab.....I just go along with him.

Brilliant ???

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Another dog Walker informed me that mine were smooth collies. Well ok, mate. A vet then told me that Bear was a very big cocker. Indeed, at 26kg, he’s a VERY big cocker!

A little girl passed us this week and exclaimed ‘Look, mummy, a Dalmatian! Mummy said ‘No, he’s not a Dalmatian’. ‘But mummy, he has spots.’ Obviously he’s a Dalmatian. ?

That’s batsh!t! ?

Nicnac

Visit site
Bonny that made me LOL. If I had a £ for every time I was asked if my Bernese Mountain Dogs were St Bernards, I'd be a very rich woman today.

I think today took the biscuit. Out hacking this morning, woman walking a pyrenean mountain dog which does a poo - not a small poo either - right on the path - this is a national trust park where loads of kids, dogs, people walk. She kicked it off the path at which point my daughter asked her if she needed a poo bag as kids etc walk where she'd kicked it and she had one in her pocket. Woman replied - I don't like plastic and by leaving it on the grass it rots down. There is no cure for stupid.

fiwen30

Visit site

This is absolutely hilarious!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I’ve been asked a few times, admittedly more so when he was a bit younger if OH’s lab was cross whippet. He’s filled out a bit more now round his shoulders but still a slim Jim.
This week some guy (who I happen to know has a black lab himself) was shocked ours wasn’t a pointer as he was so fast! ? I’m really not sure how you mistake a lab for a pointer and wasn’t aware, although I don’t know much about pointers but do they even come in pure black?

Lipglosspukka

Visit site
I think today took the biscuit. Out hacking this morning, woman walking a pyrenean mountain dog which does a poo - not a small poo either - right on the path - this is a national trust park where loads of kids, dogs, people walk. She kicked it off the path at which point my daughter asked her if she needed a poo bag as kids etc walk where she'd kicked it and she had one in her pocket. Woman replied - I don't like plastic and by leaving it on the grass it rots down. There is no cure for stupid.

In her defence, stick and flick method was encouraged for quite some time, although of course it still requires a degree of common sense about where is and isn't appropriate.

Parrotperson

Visit site
When telling a woman that her dog had crapped on the beach (she was walking ahead of the dog, who was some distance behind), she asked me ‘where?’ I pointed in the direction that I’d seen it go to toilet (about 50 yards away).

She promptly told me that it would be more helpful in future to be able to pinpoint the poo more accurately so that it could be picked up by the person who’s dog it was. I responded that, respectfully, it would be more helpful for the owner to actually keep an eye on their fecking dog, so I didn’t have to point it out…..

oh this! I did that once. owner wasn't even in the same field as dog. she insisted it had wee'd not poo'd! honestly.

windand rain

Visit site
When walking the young ponies out I often refer to them as big dogs. However the bear story hit home I had a newfoundland that when a puppy people used to drag their kids way from saying "Don't touch that black bear it will get you" as if they met bears on a lead daily. He loved kids and absolutely was a real soft lump if the size of a small bear by the time he was fully grown