what is the worst injuries to a horse you have seen??

TicTac

Visit site
I,ve seen a horse get kicked that it fractured his hind leg so badly it just swung by a piece of flesh.

A young mare tried to jump a post and rail fencing. Impaled herself on the fence and ran off with it still in. We had to hold the fence post in her chest untill the vet arrived. She did make a full recovery after a very long time.

Starbucks

Visit site
Hmm two not very nice stories from me.

We heard a horse go galloping down the road and then a bit screech and smash. Ran down the road and horse was laid on the floor with half it’s face missing. Car totally splatted with frightened but ok mum and kids it it. I then recognised that it was my mums friends horse, Ira. She had got a metal clothes line post stick in her tale in her field and freaked out. It was awful. She never got up again and was breathing through the top of her face. Poor Girly.

Second horrible story. I was getting a lift home from my boyfriends when I saw some police cars when we got near our house. Next thing I saw was my mum holding our horse with hind leg literally hanged by a bit of skin. He had slipped on a foot and mouth disinfectant thingy, panicked and ran onto the road and got hit by a car.
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Minxie

Visit site
Actually 'seen' for me would have to be my pony Turbo (Tubs) posted loads of photos the other day. This was one. When he was found the skin was slipped down the leg life a floppy sock and he was knucking over which his hoof behind him so he was walking on his ankle. We had to tie a rope around it and lift it while he walked and then put his hoof forward to let him step onto it.

Turbo160804.jpg

Happy Horse

community.webshots.com
Having worked in an Equine Vets for several years I have seen most things. Abdominal ruptures in pregnant mares, open fractured shoulders, xrayed the head of a horse killed by a shotgun for the police, numerous open fractures, severed tendons, dislocated fetlocks, maggotty wounds. As for my own horse a fractured radius but there wasn't much to see.

Cyberchick

Visit site
I think the worst for me would be when I missed getting the horses in before some stupid neighbour let fireworks off next door without telling us. I raced to get them in as it was dark and as I threw the mare in her stable I happened to notice something out of the corner of my eye and as I went to the other side of her she had sliced herself across her side from chest to bum. Just skin and muscle hanging down. Horrible to see but she seemed fine. Vet said she was in shock. Stiched inside and stapled outside and made a full recovery but with the biggest scar I have ever seen.
Had a youngster rear up in a trailer and flip over backwards. Got head and neck and 1 leg stuck between the back of the partition and the ramp.God knows how he did it. Fractured skull but recovered but was later PTS with mental issues.

L

lilym

the parelli pratt who chased her horse into a fence with a sodding carrot stick causing it to stake it'self, almost separating it's foreleg from it's ribcage, then didn't give it proper treatment, resulting in the horse then swelling up to almost 3 times it's normal size......

Ziggy_

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
the parelli pratt who chased her horse into a fence with a sodding carrot stick causing it to stake it'self, almost separating it's foreleg from it's ribcage, then didn't give it proper treatment, resulting in the horse then swelling up to almost 3 times it's normal size......

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of interest what happened to the swollen horse?

L

lilym

It recovered after alot of intensive care at the vets's and has since left the yard - owner was a liability....

natalia

Visit site
Horse with half a face missing, nearly dead laying in mud in a hole it had dug itself while thrashing around. Worst injury i have ever seen and the vet couldn't get there too soon. It wasn't even one of our horses, but belonged to some local pikeys who had managed to abandon her. poor mare. i've seen some pretty horriic stuff, broken necks, guts hanging out etc. but that has to be the worst as she had been suffering some time.

BBP

Visit site
Most horrendous - at race day for local horses in NZ, everyone brought there stock horses, family horses and we took the trekking horses for a fun day - after quarter mile sprint one of the horses slipped pulling up and snapped his leg clean off just below the knee. Horse stood with 4inches of gleaming white bone below the knee and the rest of his leg lying on the floor. No vets in the outback so one of the farmers had to shoot him with a shotgun and then drag him into a trailer.. I'll never forget it.

Erehwemos

Visit site
QR

Our Pony Club used to use a particularly dodgy XC course, and one day during a schooling session, a stunning little black mare refused a fence, jinked to the side and ripped her knee right open on a piece of angle iron that had been sticking up beside the fence. The flap of skin hanging from her knee must have been nearly 8 inches square - God, what a mess
crazy.gif
I know she wasnt PTS but I'm not sure whether she made a full recovery or not - they never came back to PC after that
frown.gif