What is this? An abscess?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I can only hope that this is the abscess that I've been waiting for instead of a more sinister hind leg (a bit swollen and lame) cause. Vet suspects a fractured splint bone and possible soft tissue involvement due to swelling on the inside of a hind leg. I thought abscess. Could be both because horses.

I thought that one of his heel bulbs was a bit swollen and soft. I stick my finger into a soft spot (because that's the type of person that I am) and heard a wet noise then a little bit of this putrid stuff bubbled out.

Would you say an abscess that's exiting at the heel or some other funk?

Edit: meant to put this Veterinary and Hoof care ?

Screenshot_20220614-150104_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220614-150047_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: tda

maddielove

Visit site
That looks like a pretty nasty abscess to me, I think the heel ones can be extra painful. If it's tracked up enough to come out of the top of the foot then it would make sense for some swelling to be further up the leg too I think.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
A swollen leg can definitely accompany an abscess, as far as I know. It was mostly on the inside of the leg (side the abscess is on).

It was odd because he was quite lame and then a bit better yesterday, so then I wasn't sure because usually with an abscess the lameness worsens?

Hopefully that's all he's got going on. ?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I don't know if it's a good thing if he's on antibiotics and Bute though. I've always just let them run their course.

Vet did anti inflammatory meds so we could reduce swelling for imaging tomorrow, and antibiotics due to the swelling and hot weather (he thought it friendly for bacteria...I have other thoughts but yeah). This was prior to this burst and he didn't think there was an abscess, but my gut did.

eggs

Visit site
My yearling had an abscess some years ago and his leg swelled up so much it looked like he had completely blown his tendon.

Sometimes an abscess can grumble on for a while and they can come sound and go lame again depending on where the infection is sitting.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Yes. I would pump that full of hydrogen peroxide at 3% strength, shoved in with a syringe as hard as you can, at least twice a day, and stand him in a tub of hot salt water twice a day too. . Poultices aren't effective when something is draining upwards, it needs flushing.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yes. I would pump that full of hydrogen peroxide at 3% strength, shoved in with a syringe as hard as you can, at least twice a day, and stand him in a tub of hot salt water twice a day too. . Poultices aren't effective when something is draining upwards, it needs flushing.

I'll see if we have some, if not I'll grab some tomorrow morning.

TPO

Visit site
I'd say abscess too

Obv I'm not a vet but when I had a horse with chronic abscessing the advice was not to use antibiotics as that keeps it "in house" when you want all the gunk out

Edited to add my chronic abscessor was also out of heel bulb(s). There was a tract from the middle of the frog up to the heels so that was flushed and very thoroughly dried twice a day before poulticing. I think I just flushed with water in a syringe as it was the pressure needed to clean the tract rather than anything else.

Lots of nappies and duct tape!

ecb89

Visit site
My lad had a horrific abscess recently. We had to get the vet out to sedate as farrier couldn’t get near him. He was completely crippled. Farrier dug it out near the base of the frog. It also burst out the heel. You know it’s a good one when the vet takes photos ?