What is this bit called and how harsh is it?

tankgirl1

Visit site
My mare hated this as I think the edge of the link dug into her tongue. She has one with a copper lozenge in the middle now which she much prefers

Bernster

Visit site
As above. I’m not too keen on the link as think that would be less comfortable than the lozenge type which has a similar action, like some of the neue schuele ones (?).

silv

Visit site
My mare goes beautifully in this bit, you don't see many eggbuts these days. A Dr Bristol has a much bigger more square piece in the middle.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Eggbutt with a French link, usually thought of as a mild bit. The eggbutt rings make it more stable I think than a loose ring. I think a Dr Bristol the link is right- angled to the bars of the rest of the mouthpiece making it harsher. I’ve not ever seen one in use. I think a horse with a fleshy tongue would prefer a flatter link to having a lozenge poking in its tongue and roof of mouth so it really depends on the horse. My older horse seems to prefer a single joint which is supposed to be harsher having a more nutcracker action.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Many horses go beautifully in this bit the French link was often what we started horses in before the days lozenges .
The eggbutt keeps the mouthpiece stable horses may prefer this but many prefer being able to move the mouthpiece with the tongue that’s personal to the horse .