What is this bit!?

lindsayc31

Visit site
Hi all, my friend has just sent me a pic of the bit a horse at her yard is ridden in , hunting mainly. We have no idea what it is so thought I'd ask you lovely guys! It looks like a snaffle with an extra ring attaching to what looks like a chifney but is completely circular! Any ideas chaps? xx

piebaldsparkle

Visit site
Dexter Racing Ring

25b277.jpg

lindsayc31

Visit site
It looks tobe the Dexter Racing Ring bit! Thanks folks! Can anyone now tell me other than for racing (and I'm guessing it's for the leading about before and after racing) what it's use is? xx

Visit site
The Dextor gives you both more brakes and more steering capabilities and are particularly useful on keen, strong horses and horses that hang - lean much more on one rein than the other. Because of their severity horses rarely pull against them and settle quite quickly in their races allowing both horse and jockey to retain as much energy as possible for the end of the race.

lindsayc31

Visit site
I've looked it up a bit and its primarily used for race horses that are very strong and on their toes to be led aboput before and after racing and to give a bit more stopping power to the jockeys! Makes sense as from what my friend says the mare that has it has no manners and barges around all over the place and is very strong to ride. No excuse for not schooling properly but she is only hunted apparently.

Dizzydancer

Visit site
Thanks EKW- what would be an equivalent in normal terms?
I ask as at competitions my boy is an ass when on the ground- when ridden he is fine. I am hacking to location venue at present due to this but in summer he will be boxed out and want something to hold him when unloading etc.

Visit site
If you purely want a bit for leading a "tosspot" of a horse around then use a Chiffney - goes on on top or underneath the headcollar - doesn't matter which and can easily be removed. It gives you vast amounts of control due to it's nature. The mouthpiece is curved with a backwards port so the tongue can't get over. If the horse pulls on it in any direction - up, down, left, right, forwards, back - it exerts HUGE amounts of pressure on the tongue and both upper and lower jaws depending on which way they pull. The horse then has to stop doing what ever it is doing to relieve the pressure. Most horses learn quite quickly not to mess around in a Chiffney. You can't ride in these bits - they are purely for ground based things.

It is not a bit for the faint hearted and you really do need to understand it's use and how to use it before considering it as it a really quite vicious piece of equipment when needed to be.