What is this?

FlyingCircus

Visit site
What's going on with horse's coat? Saw it on FB and owner is looking for treatments for the skin condition her mare has...but what exactly IS it?

12299359_1651439741798932_1610310657355464381_n.jpg

Also, NOT my picture, all credit for lovely mare goes to her owner.

Last edited:

DD265

Visit site
Just looks like the winter coat is shedding to me but the photos aren't close enough to tell.

My lad got a fungal infection which wasn't dissimilar - diagnosed by a vet and cleared up with Malaseb shampoo, plus (it was winter) using a clean anti rub vest under his rug every day. Original rug went off to be washed and a new one was purchased for the interim.

dianchi

Visit site
Dependant on the age of the horse, i would assume either a coat change, or untreated fungal infection.
Vet and skin scrap would be a safe starting point.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
Hard to tell on the picture, is she losing the coat or is it changing colour. Can't tell if that is bare skin we can see.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It certainly looks fungal. What it is I think rather depends on what veterinary tests and treatment the mare has had already.

_OC_

Visit site
Possibly alopecia......a friends horse a lot of years went the same way.....leaving the skin exposed ......having said this it looks like a severe case....only with a skin scrape done by vet will confirm.