what is with all these hunt surveys and polls

JenHunt

Visit site
i think because of a post in NL about some poor horse that collapsed and died on a road whilst out hunting. Or that would be my guess anyway.

IMO the story posted was third hand and, (I felt) it was somewhat lacking in the evidence, so I refrained from commenting. I felt that it was an attempt to start a pro/anti hunting arguement. Grr.

Fiagai

Visit site
I would be very wary of submitting answers to some of these surveys. Considering LACs activities and information gathering activities which include taking photographs at hunts, of foot followers, shows etc and gathering names and registration numbers. These surveys may be used to support spurious statistics that x % of H&H posters support a total ban etc...

rosie fronfelen

Visit site
I never answer them anyway for that very reason- sometimes hubby isnt sure where he is the next hunting day, we dont do appointment cards, until hes discussed it with the Master, he does have a general idea mind you-

MissySmythe

Visit site
Well a great friend of mine did a survey as part of her final year law dissertation, which actually was arguing against the legality of the ban. She got a first for it and is a great girl on a hunter. So, if I'm of the opinion that the survery is neutral or competantly composed (true academic surveys have to pass ethics test), I don't mind doing them. Have shown my colours just by answering this of course...hehe!

Fiagai

Visit site
Also would be wary of answering posts looking for information on time and location of such and such a meet....If posters are genuine then they should be able to contact the relevant people. I know there will be exceptions but I wouldn't like to handing out information without knowing the real reason it is been sought...

MissySmythe

Visit site
Also would be wary of answering posts looking for information on time and location of such and such a meet....If posters are genuine then they should be able to contact the relevant people. I know there will be exceptions but I wouldn't like to handing out information without knowing the real reason it is been sought...

There is absolutely nothing of that nature in this particular survey, merely views on hunting.
To the OP perhaps you could tell us your research question, as that may allay some fears?

Fiagai

Visit site
There is absolutely nothing of that nature in this particular survey, merely views on hunting.
To the OP perhaps you could tell us your research question, as that may allay some fears?

No didn't say there was....as in "Also would be wary..." however these type of posts tend to turn up too

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I think they are just a bit slow... the banner up the top there clearly states our persuasions. Why bother asking even.

combat_claire

www.freewebs.com
There is a coursework assignment for second and third years at Harper Adams relating to research methodology. Apparently they have been asked to design a survey relating to a topic that interests them and analyse the results.

Nothing suspicious I would warrant, but looking at some of the leading questions I wonder what sort of grades some of these students will be pulling in...

VoR

Visit site
Are there not more surveys and polls due to the new government and the potential for a free vote on repeal? Surely this would prompt both sides of the argument to try to identify what level of support they had in order to influence the vote of MP's?

Alec Swan

Visit site
Are there not more surveys and polls due to the new government and the potential for a free vote on repeal? Surely this would prompt both sides of the argument to try to identify what level of support they had in order to influence the vote of MP's?

I hear what you say, but the major problem, it seems to me, is that your average and policy deciding MP, couldn't give two hoots about the death of a fox. What they do care about are votes.

Those of us who live a truly rural existence, and include hunting as part of it, have our lives dictated to, by a group, who through emotive twaddle, and a large helping of biased prejudice, persuade the greater populous that in fact, they (sic) are the only true custodians of the countryside, and not those, who for countless generations have moulded and directed it, into the happy shape which it was, but a few years ago.

The greater populous, though probably entirely innocent, have been persuaded by groups, who seem to have rather strange agendas, into believing that the countryside is in a deplorable state, and those who hunt, followed closely by those who farm, are responsible for this. Perhaps I should point out here, that the greater populous, are those who supply the life giving votes to our MPs. ;)

Planting trees, daisies, or wild life meadows, in themselves are not the answers to our problems. Supporting our rural environment and or lifestyles, is. Hunting is an important part of that.

A rural existence is multi faceted. It is being eroded away, by a shameless collection of charlatans, who having reduced our village schools, our post offices, our rural transport, our very sense of community, and now our hunting, seem to care little.

I fear that the days are gone, when those who live a rural existence, will be allowed to follow their own dictate.

Alec.

VoR

Visit site
I hear what you say, but the major problem, it seems to me, is that your average and policy deciding MP, couldn't give two hoots about the death of a fox. What they do care about are votes.

Those of us who live a truly rural existence, and include hunting as part of it, have our lives dictated to, by a group, who through emotive twaddle, and a large helping of biased prejudice, persuade the greater populous that in fact, they (sic) are the only true custodians of the countryside, and not those, who for countless generations have moulded and directed it, into the happy shape which it was, but a few years ago.

The greater populous, though probably entirely innocent, have been persuaded by groups, who seem to have rather strange agendas, into believing that the countryside is in a deplorable state, and those who hunt, followed closely by those who farm, are responsible for this. Perhaps I should point out here, that the greater populous, are those who supply the life giving votes to our MPs. ;)

Planting trees, daisies, or wild life meadows, in themselves are not the answers to our problems. Supporting our rural environment and or lifestyles, is. Hunting is an important part of that.

A rural existence is multi faceted. It is being eroded away, by a shameless collection of charlatans, who having reduced our village schools, our post offices, our rural transport, our very sense of community, and now our hunting, seem to care little.

I fear that the days are gone, when those who live a rural existence, will be allowed to follow their own dictate.

Alec.

Hear, Hear, my point though was, is this an attempt by people to prove to these MP's that their best option to win votes in this constituency or that is to vote for or against whichever will make them most popular?

I myself am not a great believer in these 'opinion polls' and 'surveys' as statistics can be made to lie! If I was to survey a nearby town on the repeal I would get an overwhelming NO, if I went in to some of the local villages the result would be a huge YES, and therein lies the problem. Having said this, as local young people are no longer able to afford property in the villages they were raised in the outcome could be very different to how it would have been 20 years ago! I'm one of the lucky ones who through hard work clambering up the 'greasy poll' can now afford to live rurally, many don't and will never have that luxury.

It is my strong belief, the Hunting Act is an act against class and not a well thought out piece of workable legislation, despite most of those involved IMHO not being so called 'Toffs' but 'ordinary working folk'.