What is worse Buying or Selling?

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
I anticipate my decision to buy another horse driving my partner nuts and helping me lose at least half a stone. I started out enthusiastically enough but then realise that as I dont like travelling great distances and want to sit on the prospect more than once it reduces my search area.

Then I think about taking a horse I dont know over a few fences and wether I will get an audience watching my flatwork and sniggering at my leg position, wether the trial facilities are good enough and then trying to find a friend I trust to give a proper opinion rather say they like it because they think I do etc.

Sometimes I think it might be far easier to be a couch potato and just sit with the cat and a bag of Kettle Chips and spray a horsepoo aerosol around my head at least that way there would be no danger of buying the wrong special horse and having to sell it.

BigRed

Visit site
I wish you luck and I suspect my husband feels the same. We lost our lovely horse last year and the pathway to replacing her has been awful. We bought what appeared to be a straightforward horse, only to find she rears and naps. The vendor knew this full well. I am not sure what we will do about it, but to be honest I will probably give up rather than try to buy another horse. There are a lot of people out there with no morals whatsoever.

LiveryList

www.*******.co.uk
My husband must have no clue at all! The only horse we have bought since we've been together was my 3yo mare who was the first (and only) horse we looked at. Then we put a deposit down there and then and i went to collect her on my own a week later. Poor bloke must think thats the be all and end all of buying horses :) :) :) Haha... he will learn :)

bexcy-bee

Visit site
Buying!!

Selling, you dont really 'do' anything, just sit back and get the calls/emails/texts. Buying, you do the hard work! haha.

Selling my chap, he went with 2nd viewing, only 3 weeks or so after beeing advertised. Have been looking for 2 days now, and I hate it already!! so tedious! lol

Good luck though, either way is not easy!

This might well change some Saturday when my pony gets picked up, already feeling rubbish about it! lol

bexcy-bee

Firewell

Visit site
Oh dear I know what you mean! My poor OH gave me 5k to find the perfect partner, he thought this was a lovely gift as he had seen me cry and struggle with my late mare.
Anyway 3 horses that I tried to buy later, 2 lame, 2 dodgy dealers and a horse that I was missold and that was lame and dangerous, 5k down and nothing to show for it my OH had pretty much decided he hated horses. Then the one I did have (that had me in tears the whole time) died.
He said 'no more money! NO more horses!!), I cried in foetal position for 2 whole months untill he relented and said I could have one on loan... Got my boy and 9 months later his owner had to sell, more tears and he said he would give me one more attempt at buying a horse! He brought my loan horse who is 'finally' the right one and we live happily ever after.
It has put me and especially him off buying horses. Having my horse on loan first was perfect, try and go down that route first if you can. I knew I wanted to buy my loan horse after the first ride on him at home, he was like heaven after all the horsie mess we had been through! :)

Rouletterose

Visit site
Selling.....definately by far the worst IMO, haven't sold many, but couldn't believe the amount of people turning up that said they were very experienced, and when they arrived they couldn't ride at all. Bl***y waste of time, poor horse, and poor me, having usually taken lots of time to present the horse properly, and then the viewers not getting on with the horse.

Much rather be buying.

BigRed

Visit site
You are right, oh the luxury of being able to have a horse on loan first. My last horse - who we had for 10 years, came to us on loan first and then we were able to buy her.

Luci07

Visit site
Selling. If you are a private seller there is guilt attached, if you a professionial trader, then from what I have seen, there is quite a lot of concern to ensure you manage to match right horse to the right people!. There is also a huge margin for error with peoples understanding of their riding capabilities too which doesn't always help.

When I went horse hunting last time, I spent a lot (and I mean a lot) of time on the internet to build up a good idea of what I wanted, and a realistic budget. I also ended up going to 2 dealers and having the opportunities to ride a number of different horses which also helps you to make up your mind quickly. I found my latest boy quite easily, even if he didn't quite match the profile I had set up I have high hopes he will hope acheive my longer term goal!

oh and as for caring about people watching me, I am impervious to that! I honestly don't give a fig about some stranger commenting on my riding but I have competed out and about quite a bit.

KT88

Visit site
I have no experience of selling but buying has been interesting so far!!

Went for my first viewing this eve to a TB "happy hacker" with a novice owner, horse has never bolted/bucked/reared etc, always lovely.
I wouldnt stand at a block to be mounted and when I did get on it rodeo's me off in 10 seconds flat.

I'm thinking something was not right there...

Sophia.

Visit site
To be fair, I've never sold - only ever bought. But, buying is a pretty grim experience, possibly made worse by the fact I was only re-looking due to having my old horse PTS. I found the buying experience horrendous - pushy (or plain odd) owners, horses not as advertised or not right for whatever reason.

However, I've finally found what I hope to be the 'one' & coming home this week!

L&M

Visit site
Personally I find buying worse....

At least when you are selling you are in control of the situation, and assuming that you are honest and have the best interests of the horse at heart, just have to be patient for the right person to come along.

Buying opens you up to many forms of stress mainly caused by mis-advertising, wasted time and journeys, dishonest sellers and potentially dangerous horses!

You do wonder why we do it sometimes.......

tibby

Visit site
Selling, is definately worse than buying, I have advertised my horse HONESTLY and have had no interest, not one call, my friends and family have told me that I am too honest. At the moment I am at a loss as how to sell him.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Selling is by far the hardest. If you're buying, that's voluntary to what you put yourself through, you do it by your own choice. Sometimes when you're selling you have no choice at all otherwise you wouldn't be putting yourself through the hassle of it.