What is wrong with my menage?!?!

Frankie10

Visit site
Hi
Just wondered if anyone could please offer some advice. I admit I am a dope and have no idea how to maintain my menage.
It's cushionride& was topped up last
year. I normally just hand rake it to level it.
It's appalling to ride on at the moment - really deep, and cloggy- like trying
to ride through treacle.
Does anyone please have any
advice? Is it a leveller/ grader I need
(have a quad) or does it need
compacting/rolling? Or both?
We have had awful amounts of rain
lately and even though the school has
good drainage, the surface is very
mulchy.
I really can't afford a new surface but don't really want to ride on it as it is so bad at the moment.
Any advice much appreciated
X

TicTac

Visit site
I'm sure you dont need a new surface!

My guess is, that if you have had as much rain as you say then your arena has probably reached saturation point and there is not much you can do about it. However your surface will most definitely need maintaining with a leveller and or a roller. I would go for a leveller first as this will help to re distribute your surface properly and aid drainage.

I have been at yards where this happens to an arena and I dont think your situation is unique, however if you have only just had the surface put down then I would get somebody out to have a look at it.

Sorry I can't be of much help but hopefully spring and dry weather will be here soon!!

Tnavas

Visit site
What is yoour drainage system like?

I used to have a wood chip arena for the school and in winter areas did get very boggy. The wood rots down and becomes similar in structure to peat - boggy and deep.

We corrected it by clearing back the surface and having drains dug . After that it was great.

I've heard from different people that cushion ride can be an expensive surface - its made from chopped up recycled timber and most is not treated so it rots down really fast.

The engineer that put in the drains for us explained that where the horses work the most - the outside track the ground beneath is compressed and a hollow forms beneath the surface, water collects in it and the hollow gets bigger and the surface above it gets water logged.

Try changing your surface to post peelings - these are longer lengths than cushion ride and are made of bark and some wood. Taken from pine trees the surface lasts well and doesn't break up so quickly.

scally

Visit site
Did you roll it, you have to roll and roll cushionride to get the fibres to knit together and give a nice footing, if you havent level and then roll and roll the arena with a heavy roller.

Frankie10

Visit site
Hi
Thanks so much for the advice everyone. Have levelled it all today Nd it looks a million times better. I think you're all right that it will also need rolling- going to get on eBay this afternoon!
It Is just completely saturated & squelchy - def think it has reached saturation point!
Thanks agAin everyone
X x x

WandaMare

Visit site
Hi we have cushion ride too and it can get cloggy after lots of rain. Unless it rains consistently over a number of days it does drain after a day or two. I have a leveller which i tow behind my quad which has really helped. Our surface has been down for 5 years now and I havent needed to top it up yet, although I am the only one that uses it. One of my neighbours had hers put down the year before me and she topped it up with new woodchips rather than cushion ride and has mixed it in to the existing surface. Hers has stood up to the wet weather alot better this year.

I am planning to do the same next year when I have saved up enough money! :)