What is wrong with people.... especially those on facebook!

Jazzy B

Visit site
Is it me, or am I just noticing it more? But facebook, seems full of people "whose circumstances have changed" and now they are trying to pass on their unsound or worse still unsound old horses. Quite frankly, it makes my blood boil! There is one at the moment, that's 20 years old, bridle lame but will make a great companion, quite frankly, this poor pony's owner should just do the right thing by the animal.

And the amount of youngsters that are for sale for "pittance" because the owner doesn't have the time or are over stocked! I don't know what organisation would be responsible for this, but proper regulations need to be looked at and addressed to stop people just breeding from their mare just because they love her! And don't get me started on people that breed from their mares that have got confirmation flaws.

And lastly, and I'm probably going to get shot down in flames for this one... Charities asking for rugs and hay... fair enough but when you go on-line to their website and see that all their horses have been "rescued" because the majority of them have kissing spine.. In my mind, horses that end up in rescue centers should be there through neglect - to fob a horse off to a charity because its got kissing spine is not right.

And then there are the individuals on line asking for free rugs... "does anyone have any spare rugs". Quite frankly, if that individual is unable to fund a £30 lightweight rug, how do they think they are going to afford the other expenses of keeping a horse.

Grrrrrr okay rant over, feel free to tell me to get back in my box I will now.....

ivandenisovich10

Visit site
Your not alone!! I have been removed from a few groups for stating the truth!! It really does bug me when people not even charities are asking for things for free. If I couldn't afford a rug I wouldnt have a horse! Simple

LaMooch

Visit site
I hate old, injuried horses being sold or given away for nothing rather then doing the honourable decent thing.

Young horses given away for nothing and how can a 7 month old be a great child pony when could grow to 15hh and at 7 months you don't know how it will be.

Hate people suggesting to beat a horse to teach it manners.

I could go on but I wont........................

juliette

Visit site
I agree with you OP. Another one of my current pet hates is the horse for sale suitable for a novice rider, bomb proof, blah, blah, blah and then you get further down the advert and the horse is 4 years old!! Frankly ridiculous!! How can a 4 year old be suitable for a novice? The horse should only just be broken!!!

LaMooch

Visit site
I agree with you OP. Another one of my current pet hates is the horse for sale suitable for a novice rider, bomb proof, blah, blah, blah and then you get further down the advert and the horse is 4 years old!! Frankly ridiculous!! How can a 4 year old be suitable for a novice? The horse should only just be broken!!!

Agree.

Also saw one last night about struggling to lunge horse then turn out it is 2 and the op got arsey when people told her horse too young

EffyCorsten

Visit site
I hate seeing the 2-3year olds that are backed and trashed and sold as novice/first pony. And especially when they are discribed as weight carriers pictured with some 15stone person sat like a sack of spuds with a bridle done up wrong etc etc etc

I saw one yesterday it wasnt a forsale ad it was a girl asking what size rug should her pony be in a she didnt have one. And she hadnt just purchased said pony either. I just think christ why havent you thought about the need for rugs before winter not early spring!

Kallibear

Visit site
It's bad enough knowing there's one idiot in the world, posting the nonsense but I start to loose my faith in humankind when 25 other people then agree with them.

Fides

Visit site
I took a horse in for backing (for free) for a charity and they refused to take her back as they had 'no room' yet in the time of me having her to the time of her actually going back they took on a further 9 horses! Always claiming no cash. Advertising for free stuff, never enough feed for the horses but still take on more. But they go to the sales and rescue from the meat man!

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
There's one I came across which I have found totally astonishing.
She goes on about how fab this horse is, what it's done, it's a good age, pretty thing then at the end.. 'Needs to be walked in hand for 6 weeks and then brought on slowly as had some type of strain and is just coming out of it'

Dellusional isn't the word!!

LaMooch

Visit site
I took a horse in for backing (for free) for a charity and they refused to take her back as they had 'no room' yet in the time of me having her to the time of her actually going back they took on a further 9 horses! Always claiming no cash. Advertising for free stuff, never enough feed for the horses but still take on more. But they go to the sales and rescue from the meat man!

Not hilltop by any chance

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
It's bad enough knowing there's one idiot in the world, posting the nonsense but I start to loose my faith in humankind when 25 other people then agree with them.

This.

I have to keep away form the local horsey FB and rescue groups, they drive me mad. I know that not everyone is an expert and people do have to ask questions in order to learn, but they don't take anything on board. And I absolutely detest seeing 25yo horses advertised for sale or loan to permanent home because the owner can't or won't keep them any longer. Just have the poor old thing PTS.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Not to forget the ignorant giving out bad and sometimes dangerous advice then 30 people agreeing. One that sticks out is from a novice: "my horse keeps vertically rearing, any help?" First comment is suggesting draw reins, then to make it worse people thought it was a good idea.

skint1

Visit site
It really does make you question what on earth is going on in the horse world, and was it always the same but we just didn't know about it before the internet/Facebook.

I had to leave a group I really enjoyed because I called an attention seeker an attention seeker, I was never going to say how she treated her horse, or the people who kindly looked after her horse when she chose to forget about him for weeks at a time, was fine, because it wasn't and her "reasons" seemed really like paper thin excuses that I had heard from her many times before. Someone posted a photo of the horse and people said he didnt look too bad, true he didn't, because OTHER PEOPLE had been feeding him whilst she chased around after some bloke who lived hundreds of miles away. It seemed that anyone who didn't fawn all over this person was a bully and a coward and was going to be banned so I spared them the trouble and left, I doubt they noticed and after a few days I got used to not reading all the rants, also I knew that with that person lapping up all the attention they would just take up the whole group and it would be all about them until everyone eventually fell out with them or over them, been there before and it is so predictable and boring, so I am happy to leave them to it.

Last edited:

Equestriangirl123

Visit site
There is too much of this going on sadly although I must say myself I have given a horse away ! Here's my story -

I bought George as a 10 year old 17.2hh warm blood as an all rounder when I was 16 , chap told me he had a blown tendon but all was sorted as it was competley healed so I bought him and thought great as he was lovely and safe and something I could do a bit of everything on .

Anyway had a year of soundness with George then things started going horribly wrong , he would come in lame most days from the field and if he wasn't lame I would ride him then the next day he would go lame again .

So had the vet out , firstly it was put down to just a bruised sole , and as per usual the lameness dissapeared again !

Please note his tendon did not flare up once .

So anyway I rode him again and a week or so later the gate at the yard fell on him ( yes it was not well maintained at all !!) however I was not informed of this and turned up in the evening to find George with two huge fat knees , I called the emergency vet out immediately and was fuming at the yard manager ( he was on full livery ) so more time off for George to heal . Also made a tyro to a special equine hospital BUT THEY DID NOT PICK UP HIS PROBLEMS ON THEIR X-RAYS.

So anyway next day immediately moved yards once George was back from vets and put him on box rest for his legs so they could heal where the gate had given him puncture wounds .

Few weeks later took George out for a few nice rides around the new area , all was going well until a month or so later he was hopping lame , this time I called out a different vet , she did some X-rays and said the damage to his legs was very bad ! He had navicular , collapsed pedal bone and a lot of arthritis !!

She said to me I could put him down or let him live as a companion / very light hack . Within this time I had used most of my insurance limit on him , I decided to give him away to a lovely home so I advertised locally at work .

A lovely lady called me , she had acres of land with lovely stables and my farrier knew her well , he said the home would be perfect for George !

So she came to see him , absolutey loved him and took him on ! Saw my old farrier a few months ago and he told me how well George is looking and how happy he is !

The lady is very rich so she can afford all his vet meds , it all worked out for the best in the end and I am so glad I did this !

I guess I was just lucky though to find someone so perfect for him . I don't agree with giving a horse away to any home though it IS better to put them to sleep .

Archangel

Visit site
There was an ad for an arab stallion, free to good home. The number of people who said, "he is just what I am after - can you deliver?" The bloodlines, the height, nothing like that had been mentioned yet he was "just what they were after" (he looked a sharp little thing) - and then "can you deliver" - I have to bang my head on a wall just to keep sane. If you look at the would-be owner's page the only thing you would leave them in charge of is a rocking horse.

miss_c

Visit site
It really does make you question what on earth is going on in the horse world, and was it always the same but we just didn't know about it before the internet/Facebook.

I had to leave a group I really enjoyed because I called an attention seeker an attention seeker, I was never going to say how she treated her horse, or the people who kindly looked after her horse when she chose to forget about him for weeks at a time, was fine, because it wasn't and her "reasons" seemed really like paper thin excuses that I had heard from her many times before. Someone posted a photo of the horse and people said he didnt look too bad, true he didn't, because OTHER PEOPLE had been feeding him whilst she chased around after some bloke who lived hundreds of miles away. It seemed that anyone who didn't fawn all over this person was a bully and a coward and was going to be banned so I spared them the trouble and left, I doubt they noticed and after a few days I got used to not reading all the rants, also I knew that with that person lapping up all the attention they would just take up the whole group and it would be all about them until everyone eventually fell out with them or over them, been there before and it is so predictable and boring, so I am happy to leave them to it.

That didn't happen to be an old horse named Fred by any chance, Skint1??

I was going to say.... Fred?

dominobrown

Visit site
Most people you know in 'real life' are normal, people on facebook are from 'real life', so where on earth do these idiots come from?
I totally agree with OP though. I was getting badgered to take on a 13hh 20yr old+ mare who was to arthritic to be ridden properly anymore and was vicious. e.g bites/ kicks etc when handling so wouldn't be suitable as a kids lead rein.
All I was doing is advertising I had a spare box for a breaking/ schooling available. Of course I told the owners to PTS and face the responsibility of owning a horse- that went down well

canteron

Visit site
Oh god, I know.

I went to see a 16hh TBX for £6000 when horse hunting, apparently with lots of BS and BD points (made up of course). When I kindly declined the horse the lady started pleading with me to take him for free as her husband was going to shoot it if it didn't go that week.

Wow! (I didn't and I truly hope that it was just an idle threat).

LaMooch

Visit site
All I was doing is advertising I had a spare box for a breaking/ schooling available. Of course I told the owners to PTS and face the responsibility of owning a horse- that went down well

Just some people cant do the dignified thing and give an animal that has given so much to their owner a safe and pain-free end to life

maxapple

Visit site
It's the disposable society culture that is to blame I reckon.

People want things now and when they don't suit their purpose anymore, try to palm them off on someone else.

In a perfect world I'd still have the perfect all rounder I had to sell last year. She was a diamond and we were out having fun jumping and doing dressage etc.

However I had to sell as things changed for my other 2 horses - so now I have a 20 yr old retiree and a high maintenance pony I used to part loan but ended up buying as I knew no one else would cope with him and put up with him.

But I can sleep well at night knowing I put my horses before me and I sold the one who was my dream horse - but will also be someone else's. And now I'm looking after my old boy who has been such a pleasure to me, and keeping my mad pony safe and happy too.

WoopsiiD

summerfieldstables.weebly.com
On my FB page I did actually make a plea for a couple of rugs..... A couple of youngsters had been dumped in a field and police had given the owners 14 days to remove them before land owner could remove them. Land owner wanted nothing to do with them and due to their age and that fact that with good food, common sense and handling they stand to make cracking ponies a local charity took them. The charity didn't have extra funds for rugs after paying vets bills, farriers, travel, worming, passporting and microchipping so I did a cheeky ask. A couple of folk donated some rugs and now the ponies are safe and warm and will one day hopefully be put on loan to become useful equines. I know it was cheeky and folk don't like it but it really was a bit of a desperate situation. They have already come on leaps and bounds.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
While I know what you mean and I don't really bother subscribing to pages like that... I am just wondering what is wrong with asking for unwanted rugs, better than stuff going in the bin.