What is wrong?

Limbo1

Visit site
OK apologies a little long but I am stumped.
Daughter has a great connie owned for 2 years and now 16 yrs old. He has been super genuine only stops if physically unable to get over jump. Will buck occasionally but usually in result of a smack or if left behind on a gallop.
At the end of last season of pony club Eventing (80 cm) he looked a little stiff we ended up injecting his hocks he had rehab etc over autumn. He moves better flat work amazing.
BUT he is now stopping. Where he would help her out he no longer does. Bucking more too. I have had saddles checked/flocked. Physio. Teeth done. No symptoms of ulcers. Thought sour so been hunting (he loves).

Suggestions??

bonny

Visit site
OK apologies a little long but I am stumped.
Daughter has a great connie owned for 2 years and now 16 yrs old. He has been super genuine only stops if physically unable to get over jump. Will buck occasionally but usually in result of a smack or if left behind on a gallop.
At the end of last season of pony club Eventing (80 cm) he looked a little stiff we ended up injecting his hocks he had rehab etc over autumn. He moves better flat work amazing.
BUT he is now stopping. Where he would help her out he no longer does. Bucking more too. I have had saddles checked/flocked. Physio. Teeth done. No symptoms of ulcers. Thought sour so been hunting (he loves).

Suggestions??
He needs an easier life now ?

stangs

Visit site
At this age, I’d be tempted to retire from jumping without further investigation unless he’s showing any signs of discomfort when working on the flat or hacking, no matter how slight.

When was the last time he had a holiday from ridden work where he was out 24/7?

Kodak_TBT

Visit site
At this age, I’d be tempted to retire from jumping without further investigation unless he’s showing any signs of discomfort when working on the flat or hacking, no matter how slight.

16 isn’t old and I am astounded people think it is!
OP definitely get a vet out for a full work up

Limbo1

Visit site

He lives out, had 3 weeks off in autumn and then 2 weeks recently after they went hunting as daughter got injured.
I wish he could talk, has not had heavy comp life, previous home hacked for a couple of years in early teens. Compared with many I know he is low mileage but they are all individuals.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
16 isn’t old and I am astounded people think it is!
OP definitely get a vet out for a full work up

OFGS, people always come on and say this when riding old horses is discussed. The natural average lifespan for horses is 20 - 25 years, the working life is less, so obviously 16 is old. Just because people totter around on their horses into their 20's doesn't mean every horse is comfortable, or even capable, of this.

sport horse

Visit site
I would get a vet check with attention to front feet. Horses often stop at fences because they actually do not want totake off and land on painful feet. Feet can be medicated in the same way as hocks and thelonger you can keep him active but out of pain, then the longer he will keep well.

SEL

Visit site
When the vet did hocks did they check suspensories and SI? I kept getting told my mare was fine but one saddle fitting session where the rodeo into canter nearly sent me into the nettles I decided she absolutely wasn't fine and got a 2nd opinion.

The annoying thing was I'd asked about both when they'd initially diagnosed the hock problem, but was told it was definitely just hocks. It wasn't

Limbo1

Visit site
When the vet did hocks did they check suspensories and SI? I kept getting told my mare was fine but one saddle fitting session where the rodeo into canter nearly sent me into the nettles I decided she absolutely wasn't fine and got a 2nd opinion.

The annoying thing was I'd asked about both when they'd initially diagnosed the hock problem, but was told it was definitely just hocks. It wasn't
Yes, nerve blocked etc to eliminate/identify where to medicate.

Wheresthehoofpick

Visit site
Our honest pony did this last year.
Has your daughter grown and gained weight as she has grown.

Whilst my pony could carry our kids when he was a bit younger as he got older he felt their weight more. We have retired from jumping but he still has an active hacking life.

Might be the case particularly if yours has had time off. He may not come back to it as easily.