What is your definition of good hacking?

Doublethyme

Visit site
No road work full stop is my idea of hacking. I won't do road work nowadays, too many idiots around.

luckily I keep mine on a farm on top of South Downs so have no road work. Tracks can be flinty but also canter places aplenty. Gates can be a bit of a pain but all usually in good order. Plus have access to interval training hills/fields on the farm which is fab for a intensive session.

do miss the woods though which I had access to on my last yard

starryeyed

Visit site
I think of good hacking to be off-road - open moorland, hills, bridleways, woods and tracks! Dream rides would include a beach but there aren't many of those in shropshire (sadly). Although quiet country lanes are nice to hack along, I really don't enjoy riding on the roads where we are and that is the main reason I don't particularly like where we live now - I think I was spoilt where we used to be (lived on a hillside with miles of gorgeous off road hacking and plenty of scenic gallops), as where we are now, although they are technically country roads, are incredibly busy ones with a lot of fast traffic and impatient drivers. There are about two do-able circular routes but the vast majority are "there and back" rides which is a nightmare with my horse. Nowhere to do fast work, I have to either go along the same never ending road for 1hr 30 before reaching a track I can canter up, or put her in the lorry and take her to somewhere better! I know there are much worse places to be but i do miss our beautiful hacking and find myself doing lots of arena work or hiring facilities from nearby riding centres to add some interest.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I like variety, routes that you don't have to turn round and go back the way you came and long enough routes that you can be out for hours. If there's a pub along the way that doesn't mind horses in the carpark even better. I quite like the right sort of roadwork, quiet country lane, lots of trees for shade in the summer, some bridlepaths and tracks through woods and the odd open space for a blast. I've been in 4 areas in Herts/North London, 2 were awful, one bridlepath where you rode along and turned back and two have been great. Lots of paths you can link together in different ways to create rides.

Dizzle

Visit site
Current yard has a 40,000 acre estate we ride on, 1,000 acres of Common Land we can ride on, brilliant bridlepaths. I walk 15 mins down a quiet country road to get to all of this.

It's just a damn shame I'm having to move her! We've bought a house too far away to commute but it sounds as if hacking at the new yard is ok, PLUS I should be able to ride home!! Happy days!

Ben2684

Visit site
We are very lucky, we live in quite a rural area and with only 15/20 mins quiet road work are on the new forest. Once on the forest you can pretty much choose where you want for what you want-gravel paths, sandy tracks and the odd open grassland for a good gallop, plus lots of logs/ditches and woodpiles for jumping :) Can go for miles, without crossing roads. Or can venture further afield and head through some of the smaller towns/villages. One thing we have to be very careful with is bogs so not too much 'off roading' from the oaths but there are so many it doesn't matter. I can ride for about 6 hours and only have the roadwork to get there at the start and cross 2/3 busy but easily passable roads. That said I used to keep a horse on the coast and within half an hour could be on the beach which I really miss.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Mine! :) Bridleway passes the field gate. Can hack for miles and miles in any directions with little or no roadwork.

And we are in Milton Keynes. :)

Echo24

Visit site
Good hacking to me is plenty of off road hacking with hills and tracks for a good canter and gallop. Sadly not the case where I am, you need to hack on busy roads, cross two bridges over motorways before eventually getting to any off road hacking. Not ideal for a just backed youngster!