What is your favourite horse breed?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
PREs....because their temperaments have an indefineable quality that drives straight to the heart of why I love horses so much

horselady

Visit site
I'm not really in to a breed as such, more a type....

Any thing really with bone and too much feather. Why? They make my heart sing :)

this is pretty much exactly the same as me and why I ended up with a 13.2hh cob mare rather than the 16hhish tb type gelding I'd gone out looking for.

LHIS

Visit site
When I was younger and would spend hours and hours pawing over my 'horse breeds of the world' encloypedia I would have said it's between the Rocky Mountain Horse (the picture was of a chocolate bay with a flaxen mane and tail) and a Knabstrupper.
Now I'd say it's probably the Icelandic Horse - with a good old coloured traditional cob in close second.

windand rain

Visit site
highlands every time for me though i could be tempted by almost any british mountain and moorland except fells I dont like their choppy action

Ladyinred

Visit site
Tough question.

We have 3 Sec D's, closely bred and two are brother and sister but all as different as could be except for the fact each has a fabulous temperament.

I would love any of the British natives, we have a Dratmoor and she is adorable, but would love a Highland and an ID and a Fell or Dales... etc etc etc. Also love TBs, Arabs but only of the older more traditional bloodlines, Friesians, PREs the list goes on and on. There aren't many I would refuse, in fact, off the top of my head I can't think of any.

meleeka

Visit site
Cleveland Bay for beauty, Mini Shetland for character. I'm not really that fussy as long as they are a nice colour and have an attractive head.

Luna2006

Visit site
Connemaras. Pretty things and everyone I've known has been absolutley lovely to ride & handle. Dapple grey Connemara if we're being specific!

DanceswithCows

Visit site
Ohgodohgodohgod....cant pick just one?!?

I'm really into ponies so most of the natives do it for me, not really connies or NFs tho. (soz)

Horses - hackneys. ......also suffolks, CBs, shires, ardennes and i have respect and admiration for TBs and arabs. Like the look of morgans. LOVE to ride anything gaited.

....also mules.

Sorry.

paddy555

Visit site
Criollos. Clever, opinionated, characterful, tough, and great fun to ride.

for me it was arabs until I got my criollo youngster. Now there is no contest. Clever, intelligent, co-operative, beyond any sort of kind and caring towards me, totally respectful, very brave, a horse that really wants to bond with the human. Doesn't argue, just wants to get on and do things. Puts up with anything. Can't comment on the riding as he is only 2 but behaves like a 20 year old.

This is the 2nd criollo I have met and the first was just the same, just so helpful,.

Lammy

Visit site
Welsh D's but I'm also a fan of a TB...if I were ever to breed my mare (traditional type D) then it would be to a TB and hope for a nice mix...the spooky/hysterical attitude doesn't bother me :)

pennandh

Visit site
I love Highlands, but probably wouldn't seek out another because I could do with a 14.2hh to take up my leg and I already struggle to stop my 13.1hh at times; so I'd be over-horsed. Apparently they come in a docile variety, but I'm used to the highly-strung-eventer-on-stubby-legs version, and I don't think I'd know what to make of a docile one.

Cleveland Bays are gorgeous, but probably a bit on the big side for me to get on from the floor.

Good old-fashioned TBxCB Yorkshire hunters are where it's at for me, I think. Especially the 15.2hh-ish bay/brown ones.

pixie27

Visit site
I've always loved Thoroughbreds, and buying one has confirmed that! Intelligent, athletic, beautiful - I'm on my toes all the time, but I've never felt safer.

PREs and Sec As come a very close second.

hackneylass2

Visit site
Hackney horses any day. Their intelligence, prescence, lithe beauty, quirkyness, hardiness, long livedness (is that a word?) willingness to try anything and their dogged attachment to one person (remind me of Siamese/Oriental cats) just do it for me. Such a shame they are an endangered breed. To me nothing compares to a Hackney Horse, although I guess Andalucians and Lusitanos come close.