What is your horse box floor?

demia8

Visit site
What do you have? Wood, mental? Also, if you converted it yourself what process did you go through?
All comments very appreciated
grin.gif

kerilli

Visit site
i'm having it strengthened now, after hearing about the awful accident that happened. they're using wisideck (not sure if i've spelt that right), which is resin-bonded wood, and very strong and waterproof. it's the stuff they use in refrigeration lorry floors, apparently. the guys doing it replaced the floor of the lorry in the awful accident last month, and used this stuff.
when i tried to get them to use aluminium, as i'd been told that was best, they said that although it doesn't rust, it oxidises, and crumbles, and this stuff is better.
it's going to be about £150-£200 for a 3-horse area on a cargo, which i don't think is bad. the lorry's 10 years old and the existing wooden floor was stained, but sound, apparently, but i don't want to take any chances.

kerilli

Visit site
i'm having it strengthened now, after hearing about the awful accident that happened. they're using wisideck (not sure if i've spelt that right), which is resin-bonded wood, and very strong and waterproof. it's the stuff they use in refrigeration lorry floors, apparently. the guys doing it replaced the floor of the lorry in the awful accident last month, and used this stuff.
when i tried to get them to use aluminium, as i'd been told that was best, they said that although it doesn't rust, it oxidises, and crumbles, and this stuff is better.
it's going to be about £150-£200 for a 3-horse area on a cargo, which i don't think is bad. the lorry's 10 years old and the existing wooden floor was stained, but sound, apparently, but i don't want to take any chances.
it has thick rubber mats on top of the wood, which i take out if a horse has a wee, and wash it all down etc, and a bit of cardboard bedding on top of the mats.

OWLIE185

Visit site
My advice would be to replace the whole floor including the ramp. Once it has all been removed remove all the rust from the steel supports, get any parts welded which have deterirated and then treat with an anti corrosion agent. Then replace the sub floor with wooden planking followed by a layer of Marine Ply and then removable rubber matting.

If you are thinking of an aluminium floor then it is essential that all the steel supports that come in contact with the aluminium planking are lined to avoid any electrolytic action which will then cause the aluminium to corrode.

One thing that people ar not aware of is that aluminium floors also need to be checked for this reason as when the lining between the steel supports and aluminium planking deteriorates with time this can cause the aluminium floor to drop out.