What is your ideal breed?

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Clydesdales, Ardennes, Cobs anything draught type really plus a good old fashioned Friesian .
My dream horse (I have a picture of him in my head lol) is a 17hh Clydesdale x Cob coloured drum horse dripping in feather and hair 😍😍😍😍

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Suffolk.

They are going to be extinct within our lifetime unless we recognise that these wonderful horses are riding horses. Trinity Arabella won her showjumping and dressage classes on the same day a few weeks ago. Whatton Gertrude is in training for her endurance adventures. Gateridge Ernest is simply helping a nervous rider to love riding again by being bombproof and utterly reliable but don't think they have a turn of speed. If you doubt it, pop up to the Heavy Horse trekking place in Cumbria and take their Suffolk for a gallop on the beach (I'm told the acceleration was like sitting in a Ferrari; all power). They were bred for temperament and they have it by the tonne.

Clydiegirl

Visit site
Clydesdales, Ardennes, Cobs anything draught type really plus a good old fashioned Friesian .
My dream horse (I have a picture of him in my head lol) is a 17hh Clydesdale x Cob coloured drum horse dripping in feather and hair 😍😍😍😍

You'd be in heaven on my yard, the owner breeds Clyde's, Ardennes and Drums and all the x's in-between 😊

windand rain

Visit site
Highlands versatile, beautiful to look at, 18 hh horses on 13hh legs, forward thinking, trainable and with a huge personality. Draw back is you have to be able to think quicker than they do as they are usually miles ahead of you. Boy can they jump when required
attachment.php

Last edited:

Denbob

Visit site
I'm a fan of a heavy hunter type rather than a breed - although my heart melts for a really traditional ID. Although I had a breed book when I was younger and pretty much every one was circled except for Irish Draught/heavier breeds! Funny how tastes change.

southerncomfort

Visit site
Any kind of native to be honest. I've had welshies for the last few years but have decided that once my old girl goes I won't want another as I'd always compare a new horse to her (she is my horse of a lifetime).

If I have another I'm going to look at Dales/Fells.

Visit site
Suffolk.

They are going to be extinct within our lifetime unless we recognise that these wonderful horses are riding horses. Trinity Arabella won her showjumping and dressage classes on the same day a few weeks ago. Whatton Gertrude is in training for her endurance adventures. Gateridge Ernest is simply helping a nervous rider to love riding again by being bombproof and utterly reliable but don't think they have a turn of speed. If you doubt it, pop up to the Heavy Horse trekking place in Cumbria and take their Suffolk for a gallop on the beach (I'm told the acceleration was like sitting in a Ferrari; all power). They were bred for temperament and they have it by the tonne.

Richard Telford has a new Suffolk mare out on the show ring this year for the Kilmannan stud. She is just delightful! They are very underrated as a breed and so beautiful to look at!

Alibear

Visit site
Quarter Horse, fab temperament and that nice mix of responsive without being hot. Like all breed though individuals do differ :) Current plan is if I do end up ever getting another horse it will be a QH. I've spent 18 years trying to find another good horse after I lost my connie/tb/arab and the QH has finally filled that gap.

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
Love Exmoors-had one when I was a kid and have had two since and am a recent convert to Fells. Other than that I love Lusitanos and used to love a nice anglo when I was younger. Right now it would be a Fell though.

Tihamandturkey

Visit site
Thoroughbreds 100% - preferably bay geldings - quite why I ended up with a Palomino ISH mare is anyone's guess - mind you she is quite beautiful 😊

JFTDWS

Visit site
I've decided I like having lots of ponies and lots of different types. I have two highlands, who are hilarious with their pony ways. One's a super little dressage pony, with a lot of bounce and daftness out hacking, but complete acceptance of almost any daft game I want to try. One's a total twit, who loves to jump and is all attitude. They're total characters.

But I also have a Quarter horse, who is kind and sweet and tries her heart out. She's very level-headed and willing, gets on with her job(s) and is so easy to have around. She has a good turn of pace when pushed, and a lethal stop. Her roll backs and haunch turns are to die for - and they're so natural and intuitive for her. She's the sort of horse I never want to get off!

Visit site
Having seen my horse's tail today my "ideal breed" is SOMETHING WHICH IS NOT BLOODY WHITE AND HAS NO WHITE ON IT ANYWHERE.

(And/or is incapable of rolling.)

Hack4fun

Visit site
Richard Telford has a new Suffolk mare out on the show ring this year for the Kilmannan stud. She is just delightful! They are very underrated as a breed and so beautiful to look at!

I tried to buy a Suffolk but sadly was pipped at the post. My shire gelding now has a Clydesdale girlfriend.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I tried to buy a Suffolk but sadly was pipped at the post. My shire gelding now has a Clydesdale girlfriend.

There are 4 pages of 'Suffolks Wanted' and only one page of 'Suffolks for Sale' on the society's web page. And those that are for Sale are generally less than 2 years old. Not easy to get an opportunity to own and most sell before adverts are written (The society call potential buyers and sellers and put them in touch before adverts go up so if you want a Suffolk, let them have your details)

Hack4fun

Visit site
I saw a 6 year old mare for sale that was hanging around. Unfortunately so I had a long dialogue with the seller. I was on holiday at the time, and someone else bought it before I came back. No complaint about the seller, I would have done the same. There was a gorgeous Suffolk at the Cheshire Show in the heavy horse section this year.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I saw a 6 year old mare for sale that was hanging around. Unfortunately so I had a long dialogue with the seller. I was on holiday at the time, and someone else bought it before I came back. No complaint about the seller, I would have done the same. There was a gorgeous Suffolk at the Cheshire Show in the heavy horse section this year.

I'm considering entering Ernie next year, with a test pilot, i'll be there as groom. Just need to get him fit and excited about it. (He is far too intelligent and doesn't see the point in trotting in schools where you don't actually go anywhere)

Mule

Visit site
Something just above pony size, narrow build, hardy, calm temperament but also energetic. So basically a chilled out arab.