What is your routine with your horses after a days hunting?

carolinerosanna

New User
Visit site
I have been a groom for many a hunter and it never bothered me that they would hand me the horse and basically clear off!

I was paid to do the job and accepted it as my responsibility. I wanted, and was told, how the horse went, any problems and that was that. I sorted and had the horse ready for the following outing!

I agree with you... sometimes it is also easier as you can do things your way without feeling like you have to be quicker to minimise over time expenditure and potentially compromise on level of care if this is the case. I do appreciate a thank you and how the horse went and I do ask questions to ensure all of the necessary information is given!! :D

alidegg

Visit site
I agree with you... sometimes it is also easier as you can do things your way without feeling like you have to be quicker to minimise over time expenditure and potentially compromise on level of care if this is the case. I do appreciate a thank you and how the horse went and I do ask questions to ensure all of the necessary information is given!! :D

I agree with both of these, I'm employed to hunt a horse and nanny the children (what a job!! :D ) and part of this it taking responsibility for them when we've finished. I actually take great satisfaction in washing off and making sure every thing is ok before rugging/booting/loading the 4+ that have hunted, I think its a nice way of rounding off my duties for the day. I also am happy doing it myself so I know they've left me looking as well as they could after a busy days hunting. :D

A Guilding

Visit site
I have been a groom for many a hunter and it never bothered me that they would hand me the horse and basically clear off!

I was paid to do the job and accepted it as my responsibility. I wanted, and was told, how the horse went, any problems and that was that. I sorted and had the horse ready for the following outing!

Exactly, I'd only get in the way, I might pull out the plaits on the way back :D I have ridden some great horses and some utter crap but less of the latter, I would always try and say something nice about all even if I was heading for casualty. I took a bridle off and it took the groom ten mins to work out what I had done to it :D

Foxhunter49

Visit site
Exactly, I'd only get in the way, I might pull out the plaits on the way back :D I have ridden some great horses and some utter crap but less of the latter, I would always try and say something nice about all even if I was heading for casualty. I took a bridle off and it took the groom ten mins to work out what I had done to it :D

Absolutely emphasising my point!

The only thing I do like is when I am saved the last of the sloe gin in the flasks - for that I will clean (as in bone) their hunting boot but it has to be more than a sip!

Kittykat100

Visit site
If I hack back at the end of the day (which is quite often as the yard I am at is nearby the majority of the hunting country!) then I take my pony's plaits out. When I get back, I normally wash her stomach and legs off, in-between her backlegs and elbows etc; sponge where the bridle ahs been. I then wrap her up nice and warm in a fleese, and other rugs depending on weather, she then goes in her saddle and has her supper and hay. Check her the next morning - take her out, check legs, brush her down. Sometimes take her on a little walking stretch or just turn her out in the field :) she is a happy pony!

If I get the lorry, a quick rug goes on before going home and then same applies when I get home!

Enfys

Visit site
Hand it to the groom :D Expect it clean and fixed next week.

... :) Actually I see very little wrong with that, do they really care who looks after them?

there have been some days after freezing my butt off on the mountains that I would have loved to have had someone to take my horse from me.

As it was, all he ever wanted was to have a roll in the school, a quick brush down (I always sponged off at the lorry) see to any wounds and his food, and peace and quiet. He didn't want to be faffed about with and he made that quite clear.

Last edited: